· The Forums
· The Final Cut
JP HIGHLIGHT REEL - 2009
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Saturday Jan 16, 2010 

JP’S HIGHLIGHT REEL – 2009

(JP'S NOTE: I know, this is a little late. But better late than never...)

We have again arrived at that time of year, when we close the book on the old year and usher in the new. Like other years, 2009 had its share of triumphs and defeats, happiness and sorrow, and memorable performances and contributions from the area’s music scene. Below I’ll share my impressions of the year just completed, list some of my favorite music, and pick out fifty of my favorite photographic memories from 2009. Remember, these are just my views and opinions; your mileage may vary. Enjoy!

JP’s HIGHLIGHTS/LOWLIGHTS OF 2009

HIGHLIGHT: BIG RETURNS FOR PA BAND LEGENDS 2009 saw the returns of three of this state’s most legendary rock bands, each with impressive new CD’s after some time away from the studio and/or scene. For Hybrid Ice, it was over 20 years since their last studio album, 1988’s No Rules…But their comeback disc, Mind’s Eye, isn’t just a strong effort, but might just be their best album ever! The Badlees reconvened and issued their first album in seven years, Love Is Rain; also a stellar effort with some of the group’s best songwriting to date! And The Clarks chimed in with their first studio disc in five years, Restless Days, also an excellent effort. All three of these bands also hit the live stages, with the original recording roster of Hybrid Ice returning to the Altoona area for the first time in well over a decade, and the Badlees reconvening to play their first live shows in five years! Welcome returns, and here’s to more great music from all three of these bands for years to come!

LOWLIGHT: CONTINUED LOW SHOW ATTENDANCE Live music struggled to attract and retain crowds again in 2009, thanks to a variety of factors. Obvious factors included the ongoing economic hard times and law enforcement deterrents such as DUI checkpoints, which prompted more folks to stay home instead of venturing out to see bands. But other likely culprits included competing bar promotions, other home diversions such as digital gaming systems, computers, social networking and other cyber attractions that keep folks at home; general apathy and the lack of any new musical breakthroughs to energize fans and bring new legions forth. Low attendance stretched beyond the bar scene as well, as events such as April’s free outdoor SoFar Festival at Penn State Altoona failed to draw more than a handful of college-age fans at any one time, even though it featured a wide musical variety and happened within earshot of the dormitories! It’s a complex problem with no simple solutions; here’s hoping the music scene can figure out ways to generate enthusiasm and coax people back out to support live local shows, so such shows don’t become a thing of the past.

HIGHLIGHT: AMERICA DISCOVERS HALESTORM After three years of waiting, Halestorm’s self-titled debut studio album on Atlantic Records hit the streets in late April, and the album’s first single, “I Get Off,” received heavy nationwide rock radio airplay. The group supported that album by touring with Shinedown as part of the “Stimulate This” concert tour. Lzzy Hale quickly became one of rock’s top female heartthrobs, being included in lists and discussions of rock’s leading ladies (and prompting foam-at-the-mouth fits by host Lou Brutus almost weekly on his syndicated national extreme rock radio program Hard Drive). And as this is being posted, the second single from the disc, “It’s Not You,” is garnering more national rock radio airplay for the group. Seriously, the success couldn’t have happened to a more deserving, harder-working group of people. And we here in central Pennsylvania can say that we saw Halestorm grow up before our eyes. Here’s hoping their success and stature continue to grow in 2010.

HIGHLIGHT: FELIX & THE HURRICANES – ALL THE WAY TO MEMPHIS After competing in the Pittsburgh Blues Challenge the past several years, Felix & the Hurricanes advanced to and won the finals of the Blues Challenge during the spring; punching their ticket to represent western Pennsylvania in the International Blues Challenge, taking place in Memphis in January! From January 19-22, the Hurricanes will compete and rub elbows with more than 150 other blues bands from around the planet; and achieve their date with career destiny. Congratulations to Felix, Bob and Jeff on achieving this opportunity and honor; it’s a reward and testament to years of playing the blues and paying the dues.

LOWLIGHT: WE LOST MORE FRIENDS We lost more friends and valued members of the area music scene in 2009. This past year saw the unexpected passings of Eric Vincent “Fat Vinny” Kelly, Joe Nemanich, Dave Nearhoof, Harry Walter, Ralph Stayer, Matt Vipond, Gabe Pipetti and Chris Klym. Regionally, the state music scene also lost Pittsburgh drummer Rob Johns (who performed with Diamond Reo and the Silencers) and Sharks singer Sam “Lugar” Rawhauser.

HIGHLIGHT: LISA FAZENBAKER GRADUATES BERKLEE The area music scene celebrated as Lisa “Woo” Fazenbaker graduated from Berklee School of Music in Boston in May, and subsequently landed a summer internship with Zildjian Cymbals.

HIGHLIGHT: RESURRECTION OF THE LAKEMONT PARK WING-OFF’S One of the Altoona area’s favorite summertime social occasions, the Lakemont Park Wing-Off’s, had seen some difficulties in recent years, and was even in danger of being discontinued at one point. But enter Matt Vipond (R.I.P.) and Gary Bailey of Bailey’s Concessions, who took charge and refreshed the event. Some of the region’s most popular bands, such as Emily’s Toybox, Green Eggs and Giants Of Science, were brought in to provide musical entertainment, along with the return of two popular bands who used to grace Altoona stages, Down To The Wire and Hybrid Ice. New wing vendors also arrived at the event, presenting a wider and more exotic variety of wing flavors. The final Wing-Off was even presented as a competition between the vendors, with crowd votes and a panel of judges (including yours truly) determining the winners. And with favorable weather helping provide large crowds to the event, the Wing-Off’s were even extended two more weeks until the end of August! This wing and music fan was all too happy to see new life injected into the Wing-Off’s, and I eagerly look forward to the return of this summertime tradition in 2010!

HIGHLIGHT/LOWLIGHT: VENUES COME, VENUES GO 2009 saw us bidding farewell to the Anchor Inn near Prince Gallitzin State Park and Johnny Angel’s near Portage (both due to fires), and Altoona’s Hitching Post closed up shop. But live music again thundered in Hill Valley in 2009 with the opening of Roadhouse on 747 in the former Hill Valley Hotel facility.

HIGHLIGHT: JP BACK WHERE IT ALL BEGAN Triggered by getting laid off from my previous broadcast employer in September of the previous year, 2009 saw my career literally come full circle on two fronts. Shortly after my layoff, my professional broadcasting career came back full circle to where it all began when I was brought on board to continue the “Homegrown Rocker” at Rocky 104.9; I had worked for Forever Broadcasting’s predecessor, Logan Broadcasting, prior to working at Q94, and my professional radio career started at this location when Ed Giller ran the place! Then in January, things again came back full circle for me when I started teaching at Penn State Altoona. Penn State Altoona was where I first spoke into a radio microphone (for the campus’ former student-run AM radio station, WARC, in 1979). It was also where I saw my first live rock band ever (Harrisburg’s Full Moon during a concert in the Slep Center in the winter of 1979-80). And I also wrote my first published album review for the campus’ Altoona Collegian student newspaper. Literally, my life came full circle in 2009! And the future looks bright…I get to teach a second class section starting in January, and also get to teach one of the classes at Penn State Altoona’s new downtown facility!

LOWLIGHT: Q94 R.I.P. Although I am quite happy in my current radio environment at Rocky 104.9, I was still saddened to see the demise of my former radio home, Q94, when the powers that be pulled the plug on the former classic rock station and changed it to a country music format six months after my layoff. Ed Sherlock brought Q94 to life in the early ‘80s, and it grew into the closest thing this area had to a heritage rock station for many years. I had a part in building that heritage during the ‘90s, and it was a shame to see a combination of hard economic realities and bungled ownership decisions lead to its demise. Rest In Peace.

JP'S TEN FAVORITE LOCAL MUSIC SCENE MOMENTS OF 2009:

Next, I'll list my ten favorite shows and moments on the area/regional music scene during the past year. These are in no particular order.

1) 20 YEARS OF THE HURRICANES BENEFIT AT 30 SOMETHING: Through their two-decade career on area stages, the Hurricanes have constantly chipped in to help out others in need by performing at charity shows and benefits. Spearheaded by their fellow musicians, the “20 Years of the Hurricanes Benefit” in November was a special night where the music community gave back to the Hurricanes; celebrating their 20 years on stage, and helping to raise funds to cover travel and lodging expenses for their upcoming January trip to Memphis to represent western PA in the International Blues Challenge. This turned into an unforgettable night, with inspired performances from The Hawks, Who’s Your Daddy, the Tony Mollick Project and the Hurricanes themselves, with special guests taking part throughout the night. Founding Hurricane Felix Kos was presented with a special plaque from the Blues Society of Western Pennsylvania and a new dobro! It was a special night to honor a special band, and nearly $1,200 was raised.

2) JOHN McKNIGHT CHRISTMAS JAM AT 30 SOMETHING: When Altoona native and drumming vet John McKnight came home for the holidays, he organized a special night to get together with his hometown musical brethren. It happened the night after Christmas at 30 Something, and it was magical! By the time all was said and done, at least 25 different musicians participated in a night of inspired jams and good times! The mood and vibe were similar to some of those legendary Wednesday night jam sessions at Hollidaysburg’s U.S. Hotel with the U.S. Hotel House Band! It was an excellent night of music, camaraderie and memories; and John hinted that this may become an annual tradition!

3) BACKYARD ROCKER JAM AT THE OSBORN ESTATE: On a chilly Sunday afternoon in early October, Don Osborn invited a who’s who of Altoona area musicians and music fans to attend an informal picnic and jam session in his backyard near Greenwood. What a fun afternoon it was! For almost five hours, the music was nonstop as a cavalcade of musicians literally played ‘musical chairs,’ stepping on and off the stage to perform alongside one another. The results were often jaw-droppingly good, as musical magic abounded from the various combinations of the assembled talent. At least 15 different musicians partook in the festivities throughout the afternoon. I witnessed the fun and camaraderie as seasoned longtime local music veterans like Chuck Knepper and Tom Rhodes performed alongside relative newcomers like Don Osborn’s son, Sean Osborn, and Colton Fouse. Other participants included the jam host, Don Osborn, Allan Robison, Bill Hunter, Jim Colyer, Beau Saller, Mark Rossi, Bill Hocherl, and the band Issues (John McKelvey, Skip Fisher, Bob “Zorbo” Slovikosky and Nikki Lykens). Only the arrival of darkness, dropping temperatures and the impending start of a Sunday night Steelers game could halt this party! Thanks Don for inviting me!

4) COUNTDOWN TO KICKOFF PARTY AT BALTIMORE’S POWER PLANT LIVE!: My favorite national concert experience in 2009 had to be this early September concert at the outdoor Power Plant Live! setting in Baltimore’s inner harbor area. Through the course of the night; Tantric, Cavo, Halestorm and Shinedown each rocked impressively. It was also the “Countdown to Kickoff” party for the Baltimore Ravens, so four other friends and I – all Steeler fans – were immersed in a sea of purple and gold…we didn’t dare disclose that our football loyalties were with the team that kept the Ravens out of the Super Bowl earlier in the year! We enjoyed the concert (I especially enjoyed it when Halestorm’s Lzzy Hale gave me a shout out in the middle of their set!), and watched the “Countdown to Kickoff” television program as it was broadcast live from the event, with appearances by Ravens players Ray Rice and others, the Ravens cheerleaders and more. The icing on the cake was the NFL season kickoff game between the Steelers and Titans being shown on the jumbotron next to the stage, and the Steelers winning in overtime; after hearing all the Ravens bluster, the Black and Gold held a half-game lead over the Ravens by night’s end! (Too bad it didn’t last…)

5) THE REED BOYS BENEFIT AT 30 SOMETHING: The area music scene came together during Memorial Day weekend to help out two youngsters victimized by domestic abuse. A matinee show held on a Sunday afternoon, the Reed Boys Benefit at 30 Something raised money and toys for the Korbin Reed Fund. The show started on a major high with the debut of local youngster rockers E.V.K., named in honor of recently deceased Eric Vincent “Fat Vinny” Kelly (who gave music lessons to the band members). That high vibe carried through the rest of the day, with spirited performances from Bad Daze, Slacker Theory, This Calling, A Fight With Sledgehammers (also making their debut this day), Dick Shack Posse, The Embalmed, FedUP and Samara. More than $2,500 was raised for the Reed boys, Korbin and Izik.

6) WADESTOCK BENEFIT AT CAFÉ 210: The regional music community came together to help out a brother in need on a Monday night in early December. After Emily’s Toybox drummer Wade Corbin suffered a serious head injury in a November car crash, the Wadestock benefit took place at Café 210 in State College. It was a special night, as the bands Collapse, Velveeta, Emily’s Toybox (with Greg Reigle subbing behind the kit for Wade), Loudmouth, Mr. Hand and My Hero Zero all firing up the music; area businesses donating door prizes to raise proceeds for Wade; the Café 210 staff donating 10% of their tips; and a large contingent of Wade fans and well-wishers converging to celebrate Wade and raise his spirits. Placards and T-shirts were signed for Wade by musical peers and fans, and the vibe rode at a high for the entire night. When all was said and done, well over $5,000 was raised to help Wade on his road to recovery.

7) HURRICANES ROCK ‘TIL DAWN AT COSMIC JAM: Mysterytrain had finished up their Saturday night performance at their own first-ever Cosmic Jam festival at the Lincoln Caverns Amphitheater near Huntingdon in June. It was around 1:30 AM, and although a couple of solo performers got onstage to play a few songs, it appeared that the music was winding down for the night, and I was ready to retire to my car to get some shuteye. But headlights appeared in the wooded entrance to the grounds, and that familiar sight of the Hurricanes’ van and trailer appeared. And within minutes, the Hurricanes were setting up their gear to perform, despite already playing two other gigs earlier! The group convened their performance, bringing campers and insomniacs down to the stage to dance, groove and party down clear until sunrise!

8) SMOKED COUNTRY JAM: The Smoked Country Jam near Loganton was the first bluegrass festival I ever attended, and will probably go down as the muddiest festival I ever attended as well! A preceding night and morning of heavy June rains resulted in ankle-deep mud when I first pulled onto the grounds, and that mud grew deeper and more sloppy with successive rains and storms through the day! But the music was great, with constant bluegrass and traditional folk and country sounds courtesy of Mama Corn, Summer Reign, Remington Ryde, The Larkins Family, The Stevens Family, the Lockport Drifters, Valerie Smith & Liberty Pike and Van Wagner & Matt Harrison. The clincher was the nightcap performance of the Hillbilly Gypsies, who kept folks happy and dancing in the mud as more rain fell, and welcomed members of the other bands onstage for a bluegrass blowout finale! Thanks again to Mama Corn’s John “songsmith” Stevens for lending me the hooded tarp (which I still have to return). And the adventure I had early the next Sunday morning gunning my car through the mudpit to escape the premises is also worthy of a highlight reel!

9) OLE ’97 AT EBENSBURG POTATOFEST: This was one of those instances where the right combination of conditions came together to produce a special moment. This year’s Ebensburg Potatofest was deluged with rain, causing several bands and performers to withdraw or cancel their appearances. The performers who went ahead and played the event dealt with the elements, including heavy downpours and chilly temperatures. Flood City Brass singer Tom Pavic turned the situation into his own version of Fred Astaire’s ‘singing in the rain’ dance. Another performer, Martina McBride tribute artist Natalie Sparks, sang under an umbrella in the middle of the street. The Boomers slogged through the monsoon as best they could, entertaining the handful of hard-core fans also crazy enough to brave the elements (including one Rockpage/Pennsylvania Musician correspondent whose sneakers and feet were soaked…sneakers R.I.P.). And as Johnstown-based Johnny (and June Carter) Cash tribute band Ole ’97 began their performance, a sudden torrential downpour sent many people scurrying for cover, including underneath the gazebo where the band was performing! But this resulted in an intimate setting, and the band entertained the tightly-packed crowd with their stellar performances of Johnny and June Carter Cash favorites. Cash protégé Randy Hunter and Kim Miller as June Carter shined throughout, honoring audience requests for Cash favorites and keeping folks happy despite the rains. Ole ’97 no doubt won new fans this day; I was one of them!

10) ALDO’S CHINESE NEW YEAR’S PARTY: Aldo’s celebrated the arrival of Chinese New Year 4707, the Year of the Ox, with a Chinese New Year’s Party in late January. Included in the party were Chinese decorations, a Chinese food buffet, complementary coolie hats, Asian beer sampling, and musical entertainment courtesy of The Marauders and Half Tempted. The party was well attended, and good times were had! I was disappointed to learn, though, that Aldo’s 2010 installment of the Chinese New Year’s Party happens during Millennium Music Conference weekend in February, so I won’t be able to attend. Bummer!

JP'S TEN FAVORITE LOCAL/REGIONAL CD'S OF 2009:

A lot of strong CD’s emerged from the local and state music scene in 2009; these were the ten that impacted me the most. DISCLAIMER: I purposely left off Halestorm’s self-titled CD from this list, since I considered that a national release. I didn’t listen to many national albums in the past year, but thought that Halestorm’s was a strong effort that would likely be on my top ten list of favorite national discs – if I had listened to that many national releases in 2009. Anyway, here is my list of favorite local and regional album releases, in my honest opinion; your mileage may vary.

1) HYBRID ICE – MIND’S EYE More than 20 years after their last studio album, venerated Pennsylvania rock music vets Hybrid Ice returned with possibly their strongest album yet in Mind’s Eye. Over the disc’s nine tracks, Hybrid Ice updated their signature brand of classic progressive-flavored rock; weaving together detailed, powerful and captivating melodies with a variety of flavors. Arena rock-flavored anthems are still this band’s forte, demonstrated with the driving opener “Fight Another Day, the title track “Mind’s Eye”; and “Shining Star,” the lone track fronted by Chris Alburger’s distinctive, high-soaring voice. But perhaps this disc’s crowning jewel is the closer “Faith Without Works,” a powerful, majestic, nearly 10-minute epic about self-realization and atonement. Hybrid Ice’s crisp vocals and vocal harmonies remained virtually intact from the two-decade recording hiatus, and their arrangements and instrumental chops were as sharp as ever. Mind’s Eye was a triumphant return for Hybrid Ice, an invigorating set that re-established the group’s masterful blend of melody, art, and rocking edge.

2) ZELAZOWA – ELEPHANTS ON A MOUSEHUNT Philadelphia’s Zelazowa helped launch the year with their scathing sophomore disc, Elephants on a Mousehunt. Melding together melody, agitation, velocity and emotional intensity; Zelazowa focused and tightened these elements into a stronger, more cohesive sound. The group displayed unbridled firepower on the brash opening track “Today Is Tomorrow,” the swaggering “Boneyard Destination,” the punk-driven “Like Swine for Words” and the weighty “Serene.” Zelazowa also demonstrated tension and release on the blues-tinged “Numbers,” the jangly “Autumn” and “Madama Wrecking Ball.” Zelazowa’s performances were sharp and often go-for-broke throughout the disc; Elephants on a Mousehunt displayed a focused band fully in control of their sonic world, and was a bristling listen.

3) SKELL – SHANGRI LA 27 Initially released the previous November, I’m including this in the 2009 crop of albums since it didn’t arrive in the Altoona area until April. Pittsburgh heavy hitters Skell unleashed a furious album with Shangri LA 27 (named after a Pittsburgh apartment location where guitarist Mike Palone and his coworkers found a dead body and other nasty things). Skell increased the overall brashness and savagery, but retained their melodic edge and instrumental prowess over the disc’s 11 tracks. Atop a constantly punishing, Pantera-rooted attack; Skell frontman Pat “Bones” Bono screamed, snarled and scowled his evangel about fighting the good fight against a world going to hell in a handbasket. He resolved to battle each day on the disc opener “Fight,” warned of society’s impending demise on “Two Minute Atomic Clock,” and reached the breaking point on “Kill the Pain.” Skell saved the best for last, though, closing the disc with the badass prison-themed “The Hole.” But although abrasive and brutal, Skell displayed instrumental subtlety and detail, and Mike Palone demonstrated a mastery for evoking different tones from his guitars. Skell successfully upped the intensity and the ante on Shangri LA 27, one of this state’s most vulgar displays of power in 2009.

4) THE BADLEES – LOVE IS RAIN After a seven-year recording hiatus, The Badlees returned in 2009 with Love Is Rain, reviving and expanding upon their signature brand of roots-infused rock and pop. The Badlees again delivered infectious ear candy on the first radio single “Waiting for That Star to Fall” and “Radio at Night”; and crafted a surging arena-rock gem with “Anodyne.” Breaking Benjamin guitarist Aaron Fink made a cameo guitar appearance on the psychedelic, Beatle-toned “Part of a Rainbow.” And Bret Alexander demonstrated his knack for picturesque word imagery on the roots-infused rocker “Drive Back Home,” offered a touch of social commentary about the nation’s polarization on “We Will,” and celebrated memories with his late father on the reflective “Two States.” Love Is Rain was like the return of an old friend, offering comfort with a familiar style and sound, yet revealing fresh new touches and raising the bar on the Badlees’ songcrafting artistry.

5) CHRIS VIPOND AND THE STANLEY STREET BAND – I Chris Vipond and the Stanley Street Band delivered a subtle and subversive debut disc on I, raging against the machine and societal ills through much of the album with their grooving and catchy sound. Namesakes Chris Vipond, Mike Stanley and company provoked thoughts with such numbers as “Media Controls the World,” “Religion,” “Freedom,” “False Flags” and “Marshall Lull.” But beyond the protest rock, the group offered positive personal themes on such numbers as “Be,” “Yourself” and “Stumble.” Chris’ constant use of symbolism and metaphor made his lyrics clever and invigorating. Chris Vipond and the Stanley Street Band’s vibrant blend of musical flavors and sharp social messages made this debut disc a riveting listen, and easily one of the best albums to emerge from this area’s music scene in 2009.

6) GINA RIGGIO – ULTRAVIOLET CATASTROPHE Mysterytrain keyboardist and singer Gina Riggio is also a solo artist, and released her impressive third CD in 2009, Ultraviolet Catastrophe. Riggio revealed her own colorful musical personality through the disc’s 11 tracks; weaving together elements of pop, jazz, blues and even classical music into thoughtful, multi-toned compositions. With a style often suggesting a jazzier Tori Amos or Kate Bush, Riggio wasn’t afraid to paint outside the lines here; crafting adventurous and intricate melodies that serve as backdrops for her lyrical dissections of emotions and thoughts. She offered contemplative themes on “One Way Out,” “Simple Things,” the tranquil piano ballad “Sleep” and the Beatle-like “The Cure for Everything”; and indulged her classical side on the soul-searching “Masquerade.” “Martin Street” was more playful and jazz-driven; and “Spitting Wooden Nickels” invoked a Van Morrison “Moondance”-like flavor. Ultraviolet Catastrophe was a clever and thoughtful album that expanded Gina Riggio’s adventurism and artistry.

7) TED McCLOSKEY – ONE NIGHT BLAND Prolific State College rock and roller Ted McCloskey was at it again in 2009, releasing One Night Bland, where he created new music and retooled some of his old music. The first 13 tracks (the “Prefixes”) were new McCloskey compositions, while the remaining ten tracks (“Remixes”) offered new variations on most of his 2003 debut disc One Man Misery Parade. The new songs were short, snappy and witty character studies, with highlights including “Hopelessly Helpless,” “Six More Rounds,” the dreamy “Tilt-a-Whirl,” the rowdy hard rock of “Swimming Again” and “Seven Minutes,” and the delta blues experiments like “Be Still My Bleeding Heart” and “The Ceiling Staring Back.” The remix half of the disc stripped many of the One Man Misery Parade songs down; often with lighter, acoustic-geared arrangements. Ted McCloskey’s One Night Bland was fun and thoughtful, and revealed an artist constantly on the move, inventing and reinventing himself.

8) BILLY PRICE & FRED CHAPELLIER – NIGHT WORK Pittsburgh soul crooner Billy Price joined forces with French blues guitarist Fred Chapellier, and the two made magic on Night Work. The disc features thirteen tracks of spicy blues, blues-rock and soul; with Price’s soulful howl and Chapellier’s stirring guitar work continually in the spotlight. The story of the collaboration is told on the happy and upbeat “Champagne Blues and Pittsburgh Soul,” one of many disc highlights. Several notable guests adorn the disc; including one of Price’s influences, Otis Clay, belting out feisty voice on Al Green’s “Love and Happiness,” and The Nighthawks’ Mark Wenner contributing hot harmonica licks on the swaggering title track “Night Work,” the hard-driving “The Wrong Woman” and a punchy update of “Who You Workin’ For,” from Price’s ‘80s Keystone Rhythm Band days. Price and Chapellier paid homage to a Memphis soul great on “O.V. Wright,” and also performed a spirited version of Wright’s “Don’t Let My Baby Ride.” Billy Price & Fred Chapellier’s Night Work is a triumphant trans-oceanic collaboration that should delight blues and blue-eyed soul fans on either side of the pond.

9) FOUR DAY CRAWL – OVERDUE Indiana’s Four Day Crawl introduced a triple-guitar attack and scathing, outspoken blue-collar blues rock on their debut disc, Overdue. Channeling the electric, southern and biker blues-rock styles of classic Lynyrd Skynyrd, Allman Brothers, Steppenwolf and Johnny Winter; Four Day Crawl performed odes to hard living, devious dames, the 9-to-5 grind and more. Jimmy “Roach” Ranochock’s distinctive, gritty snarl graces such disc highlights as “The Devil Knows My Name,” “Mean” and the psychedelic Steppenwolf-toned “WacArnolds.” The group’s performances are tough and no-nonsense, with their triple-guitar attack giving the presentation depth and muscle. An impressive calling card, Four Day Crawl’s Overdue successfully established the group’s mean, lean, hard-nosed blues rock credentials.

10) THIS CALLING – WITNESS THE FALL This Calling introduced a scathing brand of metal-leaning rock on their 2009 debut CD, Witness the Fall. Over the disc’s ten tracks, This Calling weaved progressive-geared arrangements and finesse with raging intensity. Some of singer/guitarist Joe Neary’s vocal rage was rooted in harsh reality; “The Day I Died” recalled how he nearly lost his life from wounds suffered during a firefight while serving in Iraq. The explosive disc-opening title track “Witness the Fall” offered a tirade about our nation’s current state of affairs, while the rampaging “Taste of Victory” weighed in against one-upmanship. In a more sullen vein, “1,000 Words” offered lyrical soul searching, while a moment of self-realization was reached on “My Turning Point.” The performances were heated and aggressive, with Neary’s varying vocal intensities and Chris Silva’s crafty precision guitar leads providing an intriguing dynamic. This Calling successfully defined their harsh musical terrain on Witness the Fall, a tough and dark debut.

Honorable mentions go to CD's from The Clarks, Flux Capacitor, Acalasia, Ninetail, Conner Gilbert, Victory In Heaven Blues Band, Days Before Tomorrow, Matt Otis, Valerie Nicole, Mycenea Worley, My Inner Animal

JP'S TEN FAVORITE LOCAL/REGIONAL SONGS OF 2009:

The area music scene again produced a number of memorable songs during 2009. These are ten noteworthy local/regional songs that grabbed my attention the most in the past year; once again in no particular order:

1) HYBRID ICE – "Faith Without Works" One of many great songs off Hybrid Ice’s new Mind’s Eye disc, “Faith Without Works” is a charged, nearly 10-minute epic about self realization and atonement for past sins. Reminiscent of classic Kansas and Drama-era Yes, this song hits hard from the get-go, with Robert Scott Richardson’s keyboard roar triggering a heated instrumental midsection, before things trail off for a sullen, reflective and tranquil interlude that sets up for the homestretch. Powerful, dramatic and glorious!

2) CHRIS VIPOND AND THE STANLEY STREET BAND – "False Flags" One of a number of politically-charged numbers off their debut CD I, Chris Vipond & the Stanley Street Band’s “False Flags” ponders governments fabricating crises as excuses to beat the war drums, send young people into combat and whip the sheeple into a panic. Chris Vipond and company convey this evangel along a punchy rhythm and melody, culminating in a rowdy chorus sure to get fists raised in the air. Protest rock lives in central Pennsylvania, and Chris Vipond and the Stanley Street Band bring it with “False Flags.”

3) THIS CALLING – "The Day I Died" One of the highlights off This Calling’s debut disc, Witness The Fall, “The Day I Died” is Joe Neary’s metallic musical account of how he nearly lost his life from a roadside bomb and firefight while serving in Iraq. His combination of sung verses and anguished howls emphasize his emotions at that moment, and his will to survive while fighting the good fight. His account and raw emotions during the song, set against the band’s hard, taut backdrop, make for compelling listening.

4) SKELL – "The Hole" My favorite song off Skell’s sophomore disc, Shangri LA 27, “The Hole” offers a brutal depiction of life behind bars. Lyrically, frontman Pat “Bones” Bono snarls about the nasty things that can happen when you turn your back in the wrong direction in the hoosegow; and musically, Skell tears it up with a creeping, progressing arrangement. Mike Palone’s guitar tone is sick and sinister in this tune, and I also like the way an acoustic interlude sets up for the thundering homestretch. This song is one of several examples from the Shangri LA 27 disc that shows Skell’s ability to combine metal brutality with artistry.

5) THE SIDE EFFECTS – "Let’s Get F**ked Up" Slamming punk rock simplicity at its finest! Clocking in at just over a minute, this tune is simple, high-velocity, catchy, delinquent fun! The chorus of “Drink, drank, drunk/Let’s get f**ked up!” careened off the innards of my skull for days after I first heard it! Brilliant!

6) ACALASIA – "Paint These Smiles On" From their new 6-song EP Speak for No One, “Paint These Smiles On” shows a fresh variation on Acalasia’s brand of hard-hitting melodic rock. A song about false fronts and insincerity, the melody fires along a guitar-driven foundation as singer Krystal Shore’s expressive voice sells her themes of disdain and aggravation. Subtle shifts in texture along the way keep things interesting and fresh. The song is well-produced, busy and vibrant; and offers another argument in favor of Acalasia as a band everybody needs to continue to keep an eye on in 2010.

7) SLACKER THEORY – "Shake" From their debut CD Better This Way, Slacker Theory’s “Shake” is a sharp, compact, hard-hitting and catchy modern rock song. The tune kicks in abruptly and maintains its rigidity through the melody to a driving, pounding chorus as singer Steve Danfelt sings of deception and lies. The arrangement is tight and efficient with not a note wasted, and builds to an escalating homestretch. A convincing slice of contemporary-sounding hard rock, “Shake” sounds radio ready.

8) FOUR DAY CRAWL – "The Devil Knows My Name" Ultimately my favorite track from their Overdue debut Disc, Four Day Crawl’s “The Devil Knows My Name” is lean, mean, rampaging blues rock in the tradition of ‘70s era ZZ Top. Singer Jimmy Roach makes you believe his name is in Beelzebub’s Rolodex as he describes his badass soul with a rowdy growl and fast-firing sass. The band sounds tight and tough, and this tune is meat-and-potatoes blues rock, no filler!

9) CONNER GILBERT – "Since You’ve Been Away" Newcomer Conner Gilbert crafted one of the better-sounding pieces of rocking ear candy I heard in 2009 with “Since You’ve Been Away,” the lead-off track from his debut CD The View from Within. Leading in with choral effects, the melody kicks in with Conner’s smooth voice set against a piano-accented backdrop, and builds to a soaring, full-bodied chorus that stays in your head. This song nicely sets the stage for the rest of the album, and makes a strong introductory statement about Conner Gilbert and what he has to offer.

10) MYCENEA WORLEY – "Low" From her debut EP Love, “Low” reveals the emotional fury and blues-rooted persona of Harrisburg songstress Mycenea Worley. Rural-toned and dark, the song slowly escalates into a full tempest as Mycenea digs to the depths of emotional despair with her howling choruses, in the tradition of classic Janis Joplin or Bonnie Raitt. This song nicely captures the stormier and more rugged side of Mycenea Worley’s personality, and as the closing track of her EP, it leaves this listener eagerly waiting to hear more of what this lady has to offer.

JP'S 50 FAVORITE PHOTOS OF 2009:

I shot an estimated 6,723 official photos during live music events in 2009. (This doesn’t include other photos I took, including wildlife, scenery, railroad photos, or all of the many ‘bad’ shots I deleted from my camera!) Anyway, after whittling down from an original field of 72 photos, here are the favorite 50 that made the final cut; most are music-related, one or two might not be.

1. Bad Daze Rob and guest Amanda look like they’re singing a Christmas carol duet during Monday night highjinks at Pellegrine’s in late October.

2. Chris Lawson of The Marauders dons the coolie look during the Chinese New Year party at Aldo’s in late January.

3. John Cafferty and Don Duriez (Nighttrain) party down onstage during Cafferty’s “Alive @ Five” Concert Series kickoff show in June at Altoona’s Railroaders Museum.

4. Joel Hoekstra, Brad Gillis and Kelly Keagy of Night Ranger can still rock in America during their “Alive @ Five” August concert at Altoona’s Railroaders Museum.

5. Spencer of New England AC/DC tribute Back In Black demonstrates his best Angus Young duckwalk during an October show at Roadhouse on 747 in Mount Union.

6. Bad Daze Rob does his best Triple H water mist-spitting impersonation during a January show at 30 Something.

7. Not to be outdone, Bad Daze bassman Paul Rainey looks Rambo-esque during an August show at Pellegrine’s.

8. Wielding multiple bottles, Jason Mittan puts his mixology speed to the test during the annual Battle of the Aldo’s Bartenders showdown against Rich McGarvey in April. (Rich won.)

9. Somebody wasn’t happy with Dennie Huber’s balloon art…A young would-be assassin lurks in waiting to whack the popular balloon entertainer during the Bedford Fall Foliage Festival in early October.

10. The Hurricanes literally rock until dawn during the Mysterytrain’s Cosmic Jam fest at Lincoln Caverns Amphitheater in June.

11. Lzzy Hale of Halestorm performs as part of the “Stimulate This” tour appearance at Baltimore’s Power Plant Live! in September; held in conjunction with the Baltimore Ravens’ “Countdown to Kickoff” party.

12. Former Wet Willie singer Jimmy Hall, performing with his present band, the Prisoners Of Love, during the Central Pennsylvania Festival of the Arts in State College in July.

13. Jason Mitchell and Milhouse of Emily’s Toybox rock out with a frisky youngster during their Lakemont Park Wing-Off performance in August.

14. Jared Michaels of Sunset Strip, during the 19th End Of Summer Jam benefit concert at Kook’s Korner near Chest Springs in late August.

15. The kids are alright! Stevie Moses of aspiring kid rockers EVK, during their performance at the Lakemont Park Wing-Off in July.

16. The “Unicorn Man” lives! Here the Cambria County celebrity gets his polka on during the Johnstown Buttonbox’s performance at the Forest Hills Festival on Labor Day.

17. It isn’t music related, but this picture of a fox pup I took through the window at Rocky 104.9 in August was one of my favorite shots of 2009.

18. Some things you just can’t un-see…Brad Nicarry of Green Eggs dons a grass skirt and other adornments during the group’s first Lakemont Park Wing-Off performance in early August.

19. Resuming their celebration of the Decade of Decadence after a year away, Jimi Hatt and Victor Synn of Hair Force One at 30 Something in September.

20. Halloween night party fun with Mark Simanski and Bill Maguire of Hello, Vixen, donning the Village People look at the 4D’s Lounge.

21. Felix Kos and Tony Mollick exchange licks during the “20 Years of the Hurricanes” benefit at 30 Something in November.

22. In full Captain Morgan regalia, Trace Baker sings with Hurricane Felix during the Hurricanes’ Halloween Blues Cruise aboard the Proud Mary on Lake Raystown in late October.

23. Also from the Hurricanes’ Halloween Blues Cruise, Felix prepares to throw President Obama overboard.

24. More Hurricanes chicanery…Hurricanes Bob and Felix join Rob Bonsell in helping “Slacker Steve” Danfelt celebrate his birthday at Shaw’s in Juniata in August.

25. Although she became known on Altoona stages in 2009 for her tambourine playing, here Priscilla the Tambourine Lady tries on Felix’s guitar during a Sunday Hurricanes show at Shaw’s in October.

26. Making their first appearance on an Altoona stage in well over a decade, Robert Scott Richardson and Chris Alburger of Hybrid Ice during their Lakemont Park Wing-Off appearance in July.

27. Among the marquee names to grace the stage of State College’s State Theatre during 2009 was Jonny Lang, here seen during his early November appearance.

28. Ruschelle of Kitty Whip picks up an inflatable piggyback passenger during the group’s performance at Roadhouse on 747 in Mount Union in September.

29. The man who gave me my start in music, my childhood accordion teacher Mario Crocetti, performing with his trio during the Cresson Fireman’s Carnival in early July.

30. Having fun making music on Christmas night, John “JT Blues” Thompson during the “Maxwell Mash-Up” at State College’s Phyrst.

31. Batter up! David Eyer of Mindspine takes bat to the group’s musical beer keg during a December show at Aldo’s.

32. A kid’s eye view of Brooklyn performers Kagero, during the Trade Show at the Millennium Music Conference in Harrisburg in February.

33. Back onstage after being declared cancer free, Pittsburgh’s Glenn Pavone plays some fiery guitar during the Night of Rock, Rhythm & Blues benefit at Ace’s Lounge in Johnstown Thanksgiving Eve.

34. Rumbling some intense keyboard licks, Greg Weber of Ninetail during a show at Aldo’s in July.

35. No, it’s not Cleopatra, but Denise Trautman-Karwoski of the Johnstown Classic Rockers, donning golden headgear during the Oldies Dance Party at Johnstown’s Ace’s Lounge in early May.

36. Dr. Dave Parry, demonstrating delta-styled blues on his Duolian Resonator guitar during an open mic night at Altoona’s Commonplace Coffeehouse in January.

37. Johnny Cash tribute group Ole ’97 with guest Don Haddix as “Ira Hayes,” entertaining during monsoonal conditions at the annual Ebensburg Potatofest in late September.

38. David Single of Ribbon Grass, resining up that bow and playing that fiddle hard during Beaverfest in Beaverdale on the 4th of July.

39. Empire stormtroopers pay a visit to Ken Gray and Ganister during the Roar In The Mountains motorcycle rally at Hollidaysburg’s Legion Park in September.

40. Another of the State Theatre’s highlights in 2009 was the legendary Robin Trower, during his performance in September.

41. Mike Palone and Pat “Bones” Bono of Skell, during the Rock For Life benefit concert at Iselin Ballfield in August.

42. Pellegrine’s Monday wing night hostess Natalie scratches Adam D where it itches during a Sharkbite performance in May.

43. Morgantown bluegrassers the Hillbilly Gypsies, during the annual Smoked Country Jam benefit near Loganton in June.

44. Also from Smoked Country Jam, the Hillbilly Gypsies welcome members of the other bluegrass bands onstage for the festival’s grand finale late on Saturday night.

45. Frank Rumfola of local heavy-hitters Samara, during the So Far Festival at Penn State Altoona in late April.

46. Scott Mulligan of Sunset Strip, during a late January appearance at 30 Something.

47. During Johnstown’s Thunder In The Valley motorcycle rally in late June, Nashville’s Johnny Hiland received accolades from Rick Cosgrove, Senator Wozniak and Johnstown mayor Thomas Trigona, who proclaims Hiland an honorary Johnstown citizen.

48. During a March performance at Aldo’s, Lance T. Burgess and Dan Johnstone of The Clover, with special guest “Papa Newb” on harmonica.

49. During December’s “Wadestock” benefit at Café 210 in State College to raise money for Emily’s Toybox drummer Wade Corbin, Brandon Giuffre of Loudmouth holds up a sign from the audience showing the love for Wade.

50. Closing out my 50 favorite photos, Aldo’s main man Aldo during another exciting Saturday night.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Thursday May 26, 2011 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: