· The Forums
· The Final Cut
THANKSGIVING WEEKEND RECAP 11/26/07
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Monday Apr 07, 2008 

THANKSGIVING WEEKEND RECAP 11/26/07

“FEAST ON THE BEAST” w/SAMARA/END OF THE SUN/PLASTERED BASTARDS/THE GRIMM @ THE LOST & FOUND, ALTOONA 11/21/07

Thanksgiving Eve again lived up to its billing as one of the busiest nights for live music, with bands playing all around the area, including some multi-band bills. My Thanksgiving Eve started out with an all-ages show, “Feast On the Beast,” which happened at The Lost & Found (formerly the Lion's Den) in Altoona's Juniata section.

I arrived too late to openers Samara, but did see part of the evening's second band, End Of The Sun. Featuring singer Jeremy Brubaker, guitarist Keith Reyn, bassist Mitch Neuder and drummer Jason Morelli; End Of The Sun did a heavy, experimental sound that, at least on first listen and based on the material I heard during the latter part of their set, seemed to set down partial roots in early Black Sabbath and Pink Floyd. The songs I heard established weighty, heavier grooves, but carried some solid melodies. Although I didn’t catch much in the way of song titles, the group did finish with “Supernova.” At least based on this performance, End Of The Sun shows some potential, and I’ll be interested to see how this group progresses in the coming months.

End Of The Sun, during the latter part of their set at the Lion’s Den.

Jason Morelli of End Of The Sun.

Again, End Of The Sun.

Although The Lost and Found wasn’t packed, there were at least a few folks in the house, including some younger folks and over-21 people. A few musicians were present to support original music this night as well.

Next on the bill was a band I had been long curious to check out, Pittsburgh's Plastered Bastards, featuring former local Inversion/Whoreacts guitar man Clete. These Bastards played a set of volatile, no-holds-barred original hardcore punk rock, including numbers from their latest VINYL album, If You're Not Drinking With Us, You're Drinking Against Us. As Bastards Delish and Tiny on guitars (I’m not sure which one Clete is), Shady on bass and P.Rick on drums cranked out aggressive, high-velocity rhythmic carnage, frontman Dirty Bastard screamed out full-frontal intensity as he stormed back and forth on the stagefront floor. Again, I didn’t catch much in the way of song titles, but one tune was dedicated to Burgess Meredith, and another was about Dirty’s favorite dictator. It was appropriately slamming hardcore-flavored punk, and received good response from the Lost and Found audience.

Dirty barks out the lead voice as the rest of the Plastered Bastards rock it behind him.

Again, Plastered Bastards.

Once again, Dirty and the other Plastered Bastards.

The Grimm then finished the show. Singer Bob Lee, guitarist Kirk “Otto” Tonkin, bassist Kent Tonkin and drummer Ron Brode performed songs from throughout the group’s history, opening with “My God It’s Full of Stars” off the self-titled first Grimm CD, and continuing with “Enough;” before Bob rewarded the audience by allowing them to grab gifts from his “Big Bad Bag O'Stuff." The Grimm setlist continued with “Forced Reflection” and “Suicide Knob” off Resurruption, “Black Sheep,” and two more from Resurruption, “Flatline Pt. II” and “Raise the Line.” At this point, Bob recruited audience members for the return of the group's tongue-in-cheek singalong original "Suckupon." Another unexpected highlight for me happened next during the song “Dead Time,” when several fans brandished their plastic when Bob arrived at the part of the song’s lyric referencing credit cards – very cool! The Grimm then finished off the show with their established closer, “Angry and Shirtless.” As expected, The Grimm’s instrumental execution was intense and precise, and Bob again demonstrated his knack for venturing between low-key and intense, showing his charismatic and sarcastic edge along the way, and even sharing his Thanksgiving holiday traditions with the audience. (I can only picture the family sitting around the Thanksgiving turkey and enjoying drumsticks in the manner that Bob described!)

The Grimm, closing out the “Feast on the Beast.”

Bob Lee of The Grimm.

Kent Tonkin of The Grimm.

The brothers Tonkin of the Grimm, tearing it up at The Lost and Found.

Again, Kent Tonkin of The Grimm.

Otto of The Grimm.

Again, The Grimm.

Again, Kirk “Otto” Tonkin of The Grimm.

More Grimm happenings at The Lost and Found.

Once again, Kent Tonkin of The Grimm.

Making use of a feminine hygiene apparatus, Bob Lee of The Grimm.

Some of the spoils after the crowd ravages Bob’s Big Bad Bag O’Stuff…tampons and cans of slurpy meat!

The evening’s music inspired me enough that I used some remnants from Bob’s Big Bad Bag O’Stuff to create my own…combat massacre scene!

What I witnessed of the “Feast on the Beast” was a good time, and the folks in attendance appreciated the bands’ efforts as well. Hopefully this will be the start of a new Thanksgiving holiday tradition, original music on local stages the night before!

SPIRIT LOST/WAY DOWN EAST/SLACKER THEORY @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 11/21/07

After departing The Lost & Found, I headed to Pellegrine’s, where another multi-band bill was under way, featuring Spirit Lost, Way Down East and Slacker Theory.

Openers Spirit Lost were just concluding their set when I arrived, finishing with renditions of Twisted Sister’s “We’re Not Gonna Take It,” Jimmy Eats World’s “The Middle” and Godsmack’s “Awake.” Although Pelly’s wasn’t crowded at this point, at least a few folks seemed to appreciate Spirit Lost’s efforts in their first performance at this venue.

Next was another band making their first Pelly’s appearance, Way Down East, roaring out a loud and proud set of their brand of original redneck-rooted heavy rock. With portrait of Hank Williams Jr. absent from the stage this night, singer/guitarist Paul Wilson, guitarist Charles Harr, bassist Horse Gelvin and drummer Randy Wilson did many of the songs from their new CD Summon the Sea Hag, including the title song, “My Home,” “Eat the Crow,” “Where Alfalfa Grows,” “He-Haw Jehad,” “Deep In My Head,” “Hillbilly Rock and Roll,” “Freezer King,” and “Jager Shots for Par.” Way Down East also broke out the popular title song anthem from their first album, Modern Day Outlaws. I was again impressed with Paul’s full-bodied, all-out razorback roar, and his ability to maintain his range and intensity through the course of the entire set! As Pellegrine’s isn’t used to either heavier or original rock, I was curious to witness the audience response to Way Down East’s set. There did seem to be at least a few folks into the group and their hard-hitting delivery, and a few hearty “Wa-hoo’s” could be heard during the course of their set.

Way Down East, making their first Pellegrine’s appearance.

Again, Way Down East.

One more time, Way Down East.

As more folks continued to arrive at Pellegrine’s, Slacker Theory closed the night with their hard-edged brand of modern rock. Singer/guitarist Steve Danfelt, bassist Paul Greiner, guitarist Dalton McDonald and drummer Rob Bonsell blended several original songs with modern rock numbers from Breaking Benjamin, Nickelback, a heavy-handed read of Flock of Seagulls’ “I Ran” and more. As I had just seen this group days before at the Tiahna Myers Benefit, and would be seeing them again later in the weekend at the annual Toys For Tots Benefit at City Limits, I wasn’t paying close attention to them this night, and spent most of their set hanging with friends in the rear entrance room. But I did note that Slacker Theory had drawn some crowd onto the dance floor, and their maiden Pellegrine’s performance appeared to be received well.

Slacker Theory rings in Turkey Day at Pellegrine’s.

Some ladies take to the dance floor during Slacker Theory’s performance.

Once again, Slacker Theory.

Thanksgiving Eve had drawn to a close, and after witnessing all the bands I did this night, I was ready for turkey!

THE GRIMM/LIES, INC. @ ALDO’S, ALTOONA 11/23/07

Capping Black Friday, I headed to Aldo’s to check out the double-bill of The Grimm and Lies, Inc.

Friday evening workplace duties and dinner got me off to a late start, and I missed all of The Grimm’s opening set except for their set-closer “Angry and Shirtless.”

Aldo’s had a good-sized crowd in the house, including a good representation of other musicians supporting both bands. I saw folks from Hair Force One, My Turning Point, Suicide Switch and Chapter 5 present and representing this night.

Lies, Inc. did their mix of original songs and 90’s and current rock favorites over the course of their two sets. Singer J.D. Hicks, guitarist Jason “Daxman” Berardi, and – serving double-duty for both Lies, Inc. and The Grimm this night – Kent Tonkin on bass and Ron Brode on drums drew folks onto Aldo’s dance floor in short order as they kicked off with Buckcherry’s “Crazy Bitch,” and kept them there with tunes from Papa Roach, 311, Rancid, Fallout Boy, Jimmy Eats World, Nickelback, Velvet Revolver, Godsmack, Linkin Park, Rage Against the Machine and more. The group also played many of their own originals, including all four songs from their Statistics EP and some newer numbers. Highlights during the two sets included a rare Kent lead singing appearance, as he fronted Lies Inc. on the Sex Pistols’ “Anarchy in the U.K.;” Kent’s and Ron’s Grimm bandmate, Bob Lee, singing lead on Tool’s “Stinkfist,” and Lies, Inc.’s authoritative and pounding treatment of Ozzy Osbourne’s “I Don’t Wanna Stop.”

Lies, Inc. kept the energy level high and constant. J.D. steadily worked the stage and exuded confidence as he worked the audience and kept them involved in the show. Kent, Dax and Ron were on the mark on their instruments, blending their hard-rocking dynamic with a touch of finesse to keep it all interesting.

Aldo’s remained fairly packed through it all, and Lies, Inc. and The Grimm did their parts to make sure that Black Friday drew to a rocking and bright finish.

J.D. Hicks of Lies, Inc.

Lies, Inc. rocks Black Friday at Aldo’s.

J.D. Hicks and Kent Tonkin of Lies, Inc.

Grimm lead voice Bob Lee contributes his pipes during Lies, Inc.’s performance.

Ron Brode of Lies, Inc.

It’s Grimm, Inc. as Bob Lee helps front Lies, Inc.

TOYS FOR TOTS BENEFIT @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 11/24/07

I had learned a few weeks earlier from main man Claudio that changes were forthcoming for his business. The book was closing on City Limits, and a new venture would come to life at the same location soon. The final show to close out City Limits’ tenure was taking place this night; the 5th annual Pennsylvania Musician-sponsored Toys for Tots Benefit Concert, to raise toys and money for the U.S. Marine Corps’ Toys for Tots program to help out needy local children and families.

As was the case most of the previous years, Felix & the Hurricanes opened up the evening’s festivities with a strong set that blended original songs and classics. Lead Hurricane, guitarist and singer Felix Kos, bassist and singer Jeff Clapper and drummer Bob Watters opened with the stern and powerful “Issues,” and continued with “Icy You,” ZZ Top’s “Heard it on the X,” Ted Nugent’s “Free for All” and Fleetwood Mac’s “Oh Well.” The group drew a few early dancers onto City Limits’ floor with their popular new original “La La Land,” followed by their soulful "Walkin' a Straight Line" and “Black Widow.” After Lonnie Mack’s “Satisfy Suzie,” the Hurricanes finished off their set with a stormy read of Ted Nugent's "Stranglehold." The Hurricanes sounded tight and strong instrumentally, and both Felix’s and Jeff’s voices were in good form as well. The cheers of the growing City Limits audience grew louder as the Hurricanes’ set continued. Again, the ‘Canes delivered a quality start to the Toys for Tots Benefit.

Felix & the Hurricanes kick off another Toys for Tots benefit concert at City Limits.

Again, Felix & the Hurricanes.

Jeff Clapper of the Hurricanes.

Lead Hurricane Felix Kos.

Once again, the Hurricanes.

Again, Hurricane Felix.

Working his guitar magic, Felix Kos.

Again, Jeff Clapper of the Hurricanes.

Bob Watters of the Hurricanes.

Up next was Spirit Lost, who delivered a crisp set that blended progressive-leaning modern rock original songs with select current and classic rock favorites. Singer Austin Tepsic, guitarists Brian Smith and Joe Harpster, bassist Russ Patterson and drummer Lisa Fazenbaker opened with their own original “Misery of a Wounded Heart,” and continued with Lit’s “My Won Worst Enemy” and a modern-rocking rendition of Survivor’s “Eye of the Tiger.” The group proceeded with Collective Soul’s “Counting the Days,” followed by Bush’s “Machinehead,” Sponge’s “Plowed” and Weezer’s “Beverly Hills.” The group then dug out some 70’s sounds with Queen’s “Fat Bottomed Girls,” and continued with Jimmy Eats World’s “The Middle,” their own original “Alone,” and Godsmack’s “Awake” to close out their set. Spirit Lost keeps getting better with each performance; this one featured confident and tight execution, as the group maintained a driving pace through it all.

Spirit Lost continues the music at the Toys for Tots benefit.

Joe Harpster and Brian Smith of Spirit Lost.

Again, Spirit Lost.

Austin Tepsic of Spirit Lost.

In the Christmas spirit, Lisa Fazenbaker of Spirit Lost.

Once again, Spirit Lost.

Joe Harpster and Russ Patterson of Spirit Lost.

More Spirit Lost.

Again, Austin Tepsic of Spirit Lost.

Brian Smith of Spirit Lost.

Again, Lisa Fazenbaker of Spirit Lost.

One more time, Austin Tepsic of Spirit Lost.

As Tie Down arrived this night, I learned that a previous member of the group had returned to the fold; Craig Fitzpatrick was back in the line-up on bass. Tie Down proceeded to escalate the party with their uptempo set of mostly 80's rocking favorites, which triggered the first dance floor activity of the evening. Craig, singer Scott Walk, guitarists Tim Eckenrode and Brett O'Donnell and drummer Jason Grodis kept the rock nonstop as they launched their party with Billy Idol’s “White Wedding,” and continued with Frankie Goes to Hollywood’s “Relax,” Dead Or Alive’s “You Spin me (Like a Record),” Soft Cell’s “Tainted Love,” Ace Frehley’s “New York Groove” and the Billy Idol spin on “Mony Mony.” With the dance floor busy, Tie Down shifted to a recent favorite, Big & Rich’s “Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy,” before heading Down Under for AC/DC’s “Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap.” Their rocking party continued with Buckcherry’s “Crazy Bitch,” before ending with a 90’s triple-shot of Metallica’s “Enter Sandman,” Lenny Kravitz’s “Are You Gonna Go My Way” and Rage Against the Machine’s “Bulls on Parade.” Tie Down delivered a strong set, locking into their groove early and executing like a well-oiled machine to keep the dance floor busy throughout.

Tie Down makes their first appearance at City Limits (and last, since it was the venue’s final night as City Limits).

Again, Tie Down.

Scott Walk of Tie Down.

Brett O’Donnell of Tie Down.

More Tie Down.

Again, Brett O’Donnell of Tie Down.

Tim Eckenrode and Craig Fitzpatrick of Tie Down.

Again, Tim Eckenrode of Tie Down.

Again, Scott Walk of Tie Down.

Again, Craig Fitzpatrick of Tie Down.

Tie Down continues to rock City Limits).

Tie Down brings City Limits’ dance floor to life.

One more time, Tie Down.

Slacker Theory continued with a more modern brand of hard rock; singer Steve Danfelt, guitarist Dalton McDonald, bassist Paul Greiner and drummer Rob Bonsell introduced several hard-hitting originals such as "Better This Way" and the 4 Days Dirty carryover "Wait," as well as numbers from Three Days Grace, Breaking Benjamin and more. Again, their execution was sharp and on target, and Steve’s lively stage personality kept the audience attention riveted to the front of the room. It was another impressive showing for Slacker Theory, and the group won more fans this night.

Steve Danfelt of Slacker Theory.

The dance floor audience looks on as Slacker Theory rocks City Limits.

Rob Bonsell of Slacker Theory.

Slacker Theory rocks the Toys for Tots benefit.

Again, Steve Danfelt Slacker Theory.

Paul Greiner of Slacker Theory.

Steve Danfelt and Dalton McDonald of Slacker Theory.

Once again, Slacker Theory.

From another angle, Slacker Theory.

Dalton McDonald of Slacker Theory.

Again, “RobTheDrummer” Bonsell of Slacker Theory.

Nyne then finished off the benefit with a powerful set that featured hard-hitting originals and modern rock favorites. Singer Jason Eyer, guitarist Chris Lee, drummer Adam Rider and former Stept On bassist Adam Zimmer delivered constant power and swagger as they rocked the house with numbers from Jimmie’s Chicken Shack, Living Colour, Danzig, Metallica, Tool, Rage and more. Their execution was razor sharp and seamless, with Jason keeping the room fired up through the entire set. Slacker Theory Steve jumped onstage to contribute additional vocals on Nyne’s rendition of Disturbed’s “Sickness.” Nyne’s set rode at a constant energized high; and this was the strongest performance I had seen from this group so far; here’s hoping Nyne makes more frequent appearances in this neck of the woods!

Chris Lee and Jason Eyer of Nyne.

Jamming out on a flambuoyant-looking guitar, Chris Lee of Nyne.

Again, Chris Lee of Nyne.

Nyne, rocking the Toys for Tots benefit.

Again, Nyne.

Adam Rider of Nyne.

Once again, Nyne.

Once again, Chris Lee of Nyne.

Adam Zimmer of Nyne.

Again, Adam Zimmer of Nyne.

Steve from Slacker Theory steps up to help out on vocals.

Slacker Steve and Jason Eyer of Nyne.

Again, Steve and Jason.

Nyne rocks the dance floor crowd at City Limits.

Again, Adam Rider of Nyne.

Putting a megaphone to use, Jason Eyer of Nyne.

Yet again, Chris Lee of Nyne.

Again, Jason Eyer and Nyne rock City Limits.

Once again, Adam Zimmer of Nyne.

Once again, Jason Eyer of Nyne with Slacker Theory Steve.

Again, Nyne with Slacker Steve.

Although not quite as well attended as the previous two years (I accept some of the blame here, as due to Q94’s ongoing move into a new building at the time, I couldn’t promote this concert as heavily on the radio as usual), this year’s Toys for Tots Benefit was still a successful one. The tale of the tape: a large stack of toys and nearly $700 for the U.S. Marine Corps' Toys for Tots program, helping needy local families. Given some of the negative publicity that had haunted Claudio and this venue in recent months, it was good to close out City Limits on a positive note. Thanks to all five bands, Claudio and the City Limits staff, and to everyone who attended for a fun and successful night!

Jesse and Shawn, enjoying themselves during City Limits’ final night.

This fine lady models a Pennsylvania Musician ladies’ tank top.

A nice stack of toys was collected at the door for the U.S. Marine Corps’ toys for Tots program.

HEAD PLUG @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 11/25/07

The first Pellegrine’s visit by Hazleton’s Head Plug a few weeks earlier had not gone so well, as the group’s singer, Randy Schulz, took ill prior to the group’s third set, and the resulting 50-minute intermission left a bad first impression on a number of the people present that night. But the group earned a chance to make some amends and win some local fans, and were making a return visit this night. Any band can have a bad night, so I returned to Pelly’s to give the group another look as well.

Randy, Christian Lombardo on guitar and backing vocals, Jonathan Price on bass and Aaron Iero on drums were just finishing up their second set as I arrived, closing out the set with renditions of Harvey Danger’s “Flagpole Sitta,” Tool’s “Sober” and Rage Against the Machine’s “Killing in the Name.”

After a more reasonable 30-minute intermission, Head Plug returned for their nightcap set. The group opened with Orgy’s “Blue Monday,” which drew some folks onto Pelly’s dance floor. The group continued with Weezer’s “Say It Ain’t So” and the Ramones’ “I Wanna Be Sedated,” before shifting heavier with Korn’s “Blind.” The group then introduced an intense, Korn-flavored original tune from their The Only Way to Zen EP, before finishing the set with the Limp Bizkit take on George Michael’s “Faith.” The Pellegrine’s crowd quickly demanded an encore, and the group responded with a four-song encore; performing Violent Femmes’ “Blister in the Sun,” Sublime’s “What I Got,” Queens of the Stone Age’s “No One Knows,” and Rage Against the Machine’s “Bulls on Parade.”

Head Plug delivered it all with a hard-hitting punch and lots of enthusiasm; constantly moving about the stage in a nonstop bid to fire the Pelly’s audience up. I was impressed by the group’s overall tightness, and Christian showed some wicked licks on the fretboard as well. Although I heard that the group did take a lengthier intermission earlier in the night before my arrival, they at least sounded capable when they were playing. Whether Head Plug will be back to grace Pelly’s stage again remains to be determined.

Head Plug closes out the weekend at Pellegrine’s.

Christian Lombardo of Head Plug.

Again, Christian Lombardo of Head Plug.

Randy Schulz of Head Plug.

Jonathan Price of Head Plug.

Aaron Iero and Jonathan Price of Head Plug.

JP’s HAIKU

Toys for Tots, five bands
City Limits’ finale
Ends run on good note

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Saturday Dec 19, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1