· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 10/22/07
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Tuesday Mar 25, 2008 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 10/22/07

RHYNE McCORMICK @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 10/17/07

After finishing up workplace duties this night, I was in the mood for Hitching Post ribs and music. This Wednesday night, though, it wouldn’t be country sounds emanating from the Post stage, but acoustic rock and pop favorites courtesy of Rhyne McCormick.

A small-ish, friendly crowd was in place as I arrived, procured a table and ordered up some ribs. Rhyne was mixing classics, requests and original songs in his own unique style and sound. He did a succession of requests as I arrived; performing renditions of Bob Dylan’s “Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door,” “Say Tonight” and Otis Redding’s “Sittin on the Dock of the Bay.” He then broke out one of his own tunes, “Train,” followed by Eric Clapton’s “Lay Down Sally” and another original tune, “Don’t Think.” Rhyne fired up the crowd with a version of Simon & Garfunkel’s “Cecilia,” followed by the Rolling Stones’ “Beast of Burden,” Peter Gabriel’s “Solsbury Hill” and his own “How Long” to close the set.

Rhyne mingled with the audience during the intermission, while I feasted on the Post’s barbecue ribs, in very good form this night!

Soon Rhyne was back with his guitar, opening his nightcap set with Bruce Springsteen’s “I’m On Fire.” He quickly followed with the Gin Blossoms’ “Allison Road” and another Peter Gabriel number, “In Your Eyes,” before doing another of his own, “She’s Gone.” Rhyne then did a song I hadn’t heard for a long time, Marcy Playground’s “Sex and Candy,” before honoring another audience request for Live’s “Lightning Crashes.” After another original song, “Girl Turned,” Rhyne closed out the set with the Who’s “Squeeze Box.” When the audience called out for another song, Rhyne came back with one more, honoring the Hitching Post’s Wednesday Country Night with at least one country ditty, Buck Owens’ “PFFT You Were Gone” from Hee Haw!

It was typical Rhyne McCormick fun, as his performance was bright and cheerful. Rhyne maintained a friendly rapport with his audience, and encouraged audience participation and requests. He sounded strong and confident on everything he did this night; and it was another sturdy Rhyne McCormick performance.

Rhyne McCormick, bringing a different sound to this Wednesday at the Hitching Post.

Again, Rhyne McCormick.

SATANIC BAT/THE FLAME SKY @ ALDO’S, ALTOONA 10/19/07

Aldo’s was my destination this night, to check out the intriguing double-bill of The Flame Sky and the return visit of Pittsburgh’s Satanic Bat.

I was particularly curious about Satanic Bat and what they brought to the stage. With a moving lava-lamp image projected behind them on the stage, Satanic Bat led off the night with set that demonstrated a heavy, groove-styled sound rooted in early 70’s-era Black Sabbath and doom rock. But lead singer/drummer Sven Sobeck, guitarists J.D. Howell and former local guy Dave Warren, and bassist Hector Milliren kept things interesting by incorporating tricky, jazz-styled dynamics and unpredictable side journeys into the mix; as they performed mostly original numbers from their newly-released CD, Tales from the Southland. I didn’t catch much in the way of song titles, but was intrigued by Satanic Bat’s overall musicianship, and the interesting twists and turns their tunes provided along the way. I liked what I heard, and looked forward to hearing the CD and checking out this band’s tunes in more detail.

With lava lamp imagery behind them, Pittsburgh’s Satanic Bat.

Again, Satanic Bat.

A mid-sized audience was in attendance at Aldo’s to take in this experimental rock double-bill, including several Rockpagers. I noted bassist_25, Team Transylvania, ZappasXWife and zappa in attendance.

The Flame Sky soon followed with their own signature brand of rock experimentation. Singer/guitarist Ed Brinkel, lead guitarist Jason Feathers, bassist Shawn Shultz and drummer Nate Woods again displayed focus, precision and intensity as they performed original heavy-rock-meets-jam compositions like “Only In Your Head,” “The Price You Pay” and “The Creature,” plus their own inventive takes on Motorhead’s “Ace of Spades” and Metallica’s “Call of Ktulu.”. For me, it was interesting to sit back and observe how this band has developed since their more free-form jazz/jam Flame Sky Orchestra beginnings a decade ago; this band has definitely come a long way, and carved their own unique niche on the area music scene along the way.

This was a rewarding show, as two like-minded bands took the Aldo’s audience on their respective hard-rocking musical adventures; and both intrigued and won new fans this night.

The Flame Sky.

A two-headed “creature” named Jason Feathers of The Flame Sky.

A little more slow shutter speed imagery of Jason Feathers of The Flame Sky.

Again, The Flame Sky.

Again, Jason Feathers of The Flame Sky.

Ed Brinkel of The Flame Sky.

Shawn Shultz of The Flame Sky.

More Flame Sky.

Nate Woods of The Flame Sky.

More guitar pyrotechnics with Jason Feathers of The Flame Sky.

Again, Nate Woods of The Flame Sky.

One more time, The Flame Sky.

JP’S BIG HOLLIDAYSBURG ADVENTURE 10/20/07

With fall festivals dwindling down for another season before the temperatures get colder and send everyone indoors, I headed to Hollidaysburg to take in part of the second annual Hollidaysburg Pumpkin Festival.

A few live musical performances were scheduled during the day. I arrived in mid afternoon, in time to catch the performance of young Hollidaysburg Area High School power trio Pillow Fortress. Singer/bassist Pat Kelly, guitarist Austen Fradeneck and drummer John McLaughlin entertained a mixed-ages crowd with a selection of favorites from SR71, Pearl Jam, Weezer, Cheap Trick, Jimmy Eats World, Goo Goo Dolls, Green Day, The Offspring and more. Pat displayed a good voice, and the group was instrumentally solid. A good-sized audience, including what appeared to be a lot of their Hollidaysburg Area High School friends and classmates, enthusiastically cheered the band on, and even the high school’s Golden Tiger mascot busted a few dance moves along the way.

Here is footage from Pillow Fortress’ performance:

http://www.rockpage.net/users/jprice/video/MOV00180.MPG

A view down Allegheny Street during Hollidaysburg’s Pumpkin Festival.

A vintage Hollidaysburg police car.

Pat Kelly of Pillow Fortress.

John McLaughlin of Pillow Fortress.

Austen Fradeneck of Pillow Fortress.

Pillow Fortress.

Pillow Fortress entertains a crowd seated on hay bales during Hollidaysburg’s Pumpkin Festival.

Again, Pillow Fortress.

More of Pillow Fortress.

The Hollidaysburg Golden Tiger busts some dance moves as Pillow Fortress performs.

Once again, Pillow Fortress and the Hollidaysburg Golden Tiger.

Again, Pat Kelly of Pillow Fortress.

Again, John McLaughlin of Pillow Fortress.

Again, Austen Fradeneck of Pillow Fortress.

One more time, Pillow Fortress.

After the Pumpkin Festival ended at 4 PM, I decided to drive up to nearby Chimney Rocks to do some fall foliage photography. I got myself a nice little cardiovascular workout with the climb up to the higher observation lookout, where I took some nice photos overlooking Hollidaysburg, and catching the excursion train returning to the Olde Tyme Faire at Canal Basin Park from its trip out to Morrison’s Cove.

I then headed to Canal Basin Park, where the aforementioned excursion train had just arrived. I had never been to Canal Basin Park since its completion, so I wanted to take a look around, even if the Olde Tyme Faire activities were pretty much over with. As I walked along the Park grounds, I heard what sounded like live electric guitar emanating from a short distance away. Instinctively, I headed towards the sound to investigate.

As I crossed the footbridge going over the Juniata River, I saw where the music was coming from…a solo musician, with guitar, amp and open suitcase for tips, was sitting next to the parking area and performing. As I walked closer, I recognized the performer: Ernest Wachter, who I’ve seen in action on area stages before in a few band projects, and who is currently a member of The Bridal Chamber.

I watched as Ernest finished out his performance, mixing his own original songs, plus select cover material. Among the covers he performed were some blues and folk numbers, Nirvana’s “Lake of Fire” and Nine Inch Nails’ “Hurt.” As the afternoon ended, Ernest closed out his performance with an original song, “Swan Song.”

I remained at the park for a little while longer, until sunset, sitting on a park bench along the water and taking in the rest of the peaceful afternoon.

Self-proclaimed local street musician Ernest Wachter.

Ernest Wachter, performing near the Canal Basin Park parking lot.

Once again, Ernest Wachter.

REAL BE EASYS/7TH GEAR @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 10/20/07

New York City’s Real Be Easys made their first visit to the Altoona area this night, playing a double-bill with 7th Gear at City Limits. I had been listening to this group’s CD, Lost Paradise, pretty frequently since receiving it earlier in the summer, and my interest was piqued to come see how the Real Be Easys brought the songs to life in a live setting.

I arrived at City Limits shortly into the Real Be Easys’ first set, and was disappointed – but not surprised – to see a sparse crowd in the house to reward this group after their long journey to Altoona. Lead singer/guitarist Evan Jaffee, bassist Paulie T and drummer California Leighton didn’t let the small crowd size bother them, though, and had fun entertaining the people who were there. The trio generated adventurous and sassy funk-rock grooves, as they mixed original song compositions with funky takes on several classics. Their overall vibe suggested a younger and hungrier Red Hot Chili Peppers, with a little Funkadelic infusion and a harder rocking edge.

Highlights from this first set I saw included “Dafunkt” from their Lost Paradise CD, the melodic and Beatles-inspired “Fool for You,” the rock-and-roller “Dry Martini” (inspired by Deuce Gibb of Harrisburg’s Martini Brothers), and another original tune, “On the Road.” The Real Be Easys kept it lively and fresh, with constant instrumental communication and nip-and-tuck among the three members; sometimes stretched out into engaging and intense funky jams. Evan’s clever use of pedals and effects often gave the sound a psychedelic and experimental flavor.

The Real Be Easys’ latter set featured more of the same instrumental fireworks, as the group delivered spins on Jimi Hendrix’s “Foxey Lady” and “Redhouse,” and Kool & the Gang’s “Jungle Boogie.” They led off the set with my favorite track off Lost Paradise, the playful and sassy “Ipso Facto.” Again, you could tell that this was a group that enjoyed playing, and the lack of crowd didn’t diminish their enthusiasm as they delivered their funky grooves, with all three musicians playing off one another and having fun. All three were monster players who never took themselves too seriously, and had a good time despite the lackluster attendance.

Here is footage from Real Be Easys’ performance:

http://www.rockpage.net/users/jprice/video/MOV00182.MPG

Making their City Limits debut, New York’s Real Be Easys.

Again, Real Be Easys.

Evan Jaffee of Real Be Easys.

Again, Evan Jaffee of Real Be Easys.

Paulie T of Real Be Easys.

More of Real Be Easys.

Once again, Evan Jaffee of Real Be Easys.

More of Evan Jaffee of Real Be Easys.

Yet again, Real Be Easys.

Evan Jaffee and Paulie T of Real Be Easys.

Again, Evan and Paul.

One more time, Evan Jaffee of Real Be Easys.

One more time, Real Be Easys.

After a changeover intermission, two-thirds of 7th Gear finished out the night. Sans drummer, singer/guitarist Brendon Burns and bassist/singer Kelly Montgomery casually free-jammed for a short while, doing a couple of original songs, and again free-jamming to close out the night. At this point, City Limits main man Claudio, yours truly, the Real Be Easys and two or three folks at the bar were the only audience that remained.

The night was what it was. I was disappointed that more people weren’t curious to come discover what Real Be Easys were about. Hopefully they’ll get another shot to play the area and win some local fans down the road.

Performing as a lonesome duo this night, 7th Gear.

FELIX & THE HURRICANES @ SHAW’S BAR, ALTOONA 10/21/07

After finishing up “Backyard Rocker” duties this Sunday night, I decided that I needed a dose of Juniata Hurricaning to finish out the weekend, so I was off to Shaw’s in Juniata to see what Felix, Bob and Jeff were up to.

I quickly found out what they were up to as I stepped inside the door at Shaw’s…rocking the house! It was Bob’s birthday, and the Hurricanes were already fired up and giving the crowd all they could handle as they stormed forth with Robin Trower’s “Day of the Eagle,” a new original number, “All Work, No Play,” and Rick Derringer’s “Rock and Roll Hoochie Koo.” The group finished the set with a nonstop jam that fused together Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “That Smell,” the Allman Brothers’ “Soulshine” and “Whipping Post.”

Shaw’s was pretty busy this night, with a lot of Hurricaniacs in attendance, as well as a few musicians.

The Hurricanes were soon back to their instruments to slam the lid on the weekend. The group kicked off with the Classics IV’s “Spooky,” before Felix fired up the steam engine on his guitar to lead into Blackfoot’s “Train Train.” The dance floor quickly filled up as the group did their ever-popular “Walking a Straight Line,” the Stray Cats’ “Rock This Town,” Cream’s “Sunshine of Your Love” and Cheap Trick’s “I Want You to Want Me.” At this point, special guest Mickey Luckenbaugh climbed in behind Bob’s drum kit, and provided the beats on Ted Nugent’s “Cat Scratch Fever” and “Stranglehold,” before passing the sticks back to Bob for another Nuge number, “Free for All,” and the night-ending rendition of Molly Hatchet’s “Flirtin’ with Disaster.”

It was a fun and feverish Hurricanes blowout to finish off the weekend. The crowd was festive and into it, which only fueled the Hurricanes into pushing their game higher. A good time!

Guest drummer Mickey Luckenbaugh and Jeff Clapper of the Hurricanes.

Felix Kos of the Hurricanes.

Mickey Luckenbaugh, sitting in on drums.

Jeff Clapper of the Hurricanes.

Again, Hurricane Felix.

Felix & the Hurricanes.

Bob Watters of the Hurricanes.

JP’s HAIKU

Real Be Easys funk
City Limits empty house
Where were you people!?

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Saturday Dec 19, 2009