· The Forums
· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 7/16/07 (PT. 1)
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Sunday Dec 02, 2007 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 7/16/07

NOTE: This particular recap features so many bands and photos, I had to divide it into two sections to fit it all in. This section, Part 1, covers through Friday the 13th. Part 2 covers Saturday and Sunday, the 14th and 15th. Enjoy!

POVERTYNECK HILLBILLIES/SLABTOWN @ RAILROADERS MEMORIAL MUSEUM, ALTOONA 7/11/07

It was starting to look like a very good summer for concerts in Altoona. The Gin Blossoms had already been in town. And this day, the Railroaders Memorial Museum was kicking off their new summer concert series, the Alive @ Five Concert Series; a series of five concert events happening every other Wednesday evening. Donnie Iris, Joe Grushecky and The Clarks were some of the names already slated for later in the summer. But this night, it was the kickoff, taking on a country flavor with Pittsburgh national country recording act The Povertyneck Hillbillies, with special guests Slabtown.

It was an encouraging start. Despite heavy rains hitting the Altoona area the hour before things were set to begin, the weather had cleared out by 6 PM and people still came out. I arrived in time to see the last part of Slabtown's set to open the show. Based out of State College and named after a road that runs through the Penn State Mon Alto branch campus where lead singer/rhythm guitarist Justin Kaskan, lead guitarist Jared Fleck, bassist Josh Glace and drummer Todd Shertzer first met, Slabtown performed traditional country and honky tonk, including tunes from George Jones and David Allan Coe, Stevie Ray Vaughan's "Pride and Joy," some catchy original tunes and more. Their performance was solid, and they were well-received.

Slabtown, kicking off the evening.

Again, Slabtown.

Justin Kaskan of Slabtown.

The crowd continued to grow during the intermission between bands, and I saw a lot of familiar faces in the crowd, including a few I hadn't seen out to check out a live show in some time. It was quickly starting to look like Altoona had discovered a new opportunity to come out and party with friends, and people were taking advantage of it!

This was my first time experiencing the Povertyneck Hillbillies. They did a more modern brand of country that freely mixed with rock, mixing original songs, familiar country and southern/country rock favorites, and some unexpected countrified versions of modern and classic rock tunes. Lead singer/guitarist Chris Abbondanza, electric guitarist David Guthrie, fiddle player/guitarist Chris Higbee, bassist Jeff Volek, keyboardist Dave Cramer and drummer Ryan Locotch opened with several of their own original numbers, before performing Eddie Rabbitt's "Driving My Life Away." They introduced a new song called "Promised Land," followed by the slower "Fly." The Hillbillies then offered their own country slant to Stone Temple Pilots' "Interstate Love Song," broke out a country rock favorites, the Eagles' "Take it Easy," before introducing their popular song "My Town," the song whose video features Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. The group then headed south with the Allman Brothers' "Ramblin' Man," and did their own song "Go Crazy with My Heart." After another song, the Hillbillies arrived at another of their most popular songs, "Hillbilly State of Mind," which became an audience participation song with singalongs and coordinated gestures. The energy level steadily escalated as the Povertyneck Hillbillies and audience fed off each other's enthusiasm, and this would result in some exciting highlights as the group got late into their performance. The group's next original song featured fiddler Chris doing a midsong solo in which he incorporated the "Here We Go Steelers, Here we Go!" chant, before leading the group into the ever-popular "Rocky Top." Then, as frontman Chris introduced the members of the band, fiddler Chris made his way to the Railroaders Museum building itself, and climbed his way to the upper fire escape catwalk to perform some fiddle fireworks from high above the crowd! This led into John Mellencamp's "Hurts So Good," and the group's own "One Night in New Orleans." Chris Higbee again entered the spotlight, scorching out a fiery fiddle-sawing solo on the Charlie Daniels Band's "Devil Went Down to Georgia," before the Hillbillies closed out their set with their song "Hillbilly Way." The Railroaders Museum crowd immediately erupted to demand an encore, and after a few moments the group responded, starting with their rural-leaning version of the Outfield's "Your Love." The Hillbillies broke out another of their bigger hits, "Mr. Right Now," which quickly had the ladies on the concert grounds swooning over the two Chrises onstage. The group then finished out the encore with another country-edged interpretation, this time doing Tonic's "If You Could Only See."

I was pretty impressed with my first look at the Povertyneck Hillbillies. They displayed strong musicianship, especially the fiery fiddling of Chris Higbee. They ran things at a tight clip, and displayed enthusiasm and confidence throughout their set. Singer Chris showed both a good voice and personality, and his chick magnet appeal kept the ladies in the palm of his hand from the first moment on. This band generated excitement and got the crowd into the show, especially the ladies. Based on this performance, I can see why the Povertyneck Hillbillies are getting the acclaim that they are; they do have a good tight sound and an riveting stage presence.

As I said, this was an encouraging start to the Alive @ Five concert series. I spoke with Railroaders Museum main man Scott Cessna after the concert, and he said they are already planning for next year's concert series, including some local band shows as well. I applaud this new event; concerts like this in downtown Altoona have been long overdue!

Chris Abbondanza and Chris Higbee of the Povertyneck Hillbillies.

The Povertyneck Hillbillies.

David Guthrie and Chris Higbee of the Povertyneck Hillbillies.

The Povertyneck Hillbillies, playing on the Railroaders Museum’s large flatcar stage.

Again, David Guthrie and Chris Higbee of the Povertyneck Hillbillies.

More of David Guthrie and Chris Higbee.

Chris Abbondanza of the Povertyneck Hillbillies.

The Povertyneck Hillbillies’ tour bus.

Again, the Povertyneck Hillbillies.

More Povertyneck Hillbillies.

Despite the rains before showtime, a good-sized crowd turned out to see the Povertyneck Hillbillies.

A sizeable crowd takes in the Povertyneck Hillbillies.

Fiddle player Chris Higbee takes his show to near the top of the Railroaders Museum!

[color=cyan]Once again, the two Chris's of the Povertyneck Hillbillies.

Again, Chris Abbondanza of the Povertyneck Hillbillies.

Once again, the Povertyneck Hillbillies.

Chris Higbee of the Povertyneck Hillbillies.

More fun with the Povertyneck Hillbillies.

Yet again, Chris Higbee of the Povertyneck Hillbillies.

Yet again, Chris Abbondanza of the Povertyneck Hillbillies.

He also plays some guitar; Chris Higbee of the Povertyneck Hillbillies.

One more time, Chris Higbee of the Povertyneck Hillbillies.

FELIX & THE HURRICANES/THE FLAME SKY @ WING-OFF, LAKEMONT PARK, ALTOONA 7/12/07

Summer was indeed in full swing for another year; Wing-Off season had arrived! Today marked the glorious return of Lakemont Park's Wing-Off's, and with Felix & the Hurricanes providing the music, I was there!

Television news reports had reported that there might be a possible snag with the Wing-Off's this year, as the nonprofit beneficiary of the event, the Lakemont Volunteer Fire Company, had withdrawn from this year's Wing-Off's due to lack of personnel to staff the event. The event needed another nonprofit beneficiary to be able to legally serve beer at the event. I noticed that I didn't see any organizations present for this first Wing-Off as I arrived; I assumed that one had been found, though, as the event was proceeding as usual. (I would later learn that such was not the case, and a beneficiary organization hadn't been found; more on that in future Wing-Off recaps.) The weather was sunny and warm, and the area multitudes were arriving to consume mass quantities of wingage and beerage, and take in the tunage courtesy of the Hurricanes.

After procuring wings from the Fat Daddy's pavilion, I returned to the stagefront picnic table area to enjoy the music. Felix, Bob and Jeff were quickly hitting their stride as they smoothly glided between original favorites, classic, southern, country and blues numbers. During this set, the trio did original songs such as "Cut That Line," "Free," the new Jeff-sung "La La Land," "Just a Fool," "Lonely One," "On the Bottom Again" and another new tune, "Hurtin' People." These songs were scattered amidst a constant classic rocking backdrop including songs from Johnny Cash, Allman Brothers, Badfinger, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Eagles, ZZ Top and more.

Wing-Off attendees experienced an extra treat, as the Hurricanes brought along guests, The Flame Sky. After the 'Canes finished their first set, singer/guitarist Ed Brinkel, lead guitarist Jason Feathers, bassist Shawn Shultz and drummer Nate Woods took the stage and introduced the Wing-Off crowd to their own brand of musical fireworks; kicking off with Thin Lizzy's "Emerald." The group broke out one of their own, the milder-mannered "And Eventually," before giving the Wing-Off its first-ever taste of Iron Maiden by performing "Transylvania" into "Remember Tomorrow." The group then finished their brief intermission set with a Led Zeppelin number (which I forgot to write down, sorry!).

Soon, the Hurricanes returned to the stage for their final set, with Jason Feathers joining them to contribute additional guitar on an Allman Brothers jam workout. From there, the group did some of their own tunes, including the popular "Walking a Straight Line" and "the Feeling," before closing out their Wing-Off performance with Grand Funk Railroad's "I'm Your Captain."

The music from both the Hurricanes and The Flame Sky was good, and audience members were visibly grooving and jamming along with the tunes. The wings from Fat Daddy's were respectable. I did both the original recipe hot wings and the butter garlic. I enjoyed the latter a little better, especially since they included ample amounts of garlic. The wing size was on the small size, enough so with a few of the wings that I questioned whether the Wing-Off folks were thinning out the Lakemont Park pigeon flock again.

It was a good kickoff to this year's Wing-Off's (and as it would turn out, the peak of this year's Wing-Off campaign). Summer had reached its stride!

Felix & the Hurricanes christen the 2007 Lakemont Park Wing-Offs.

Felix Kos of the Hurricanes.

Jeff Clapper of the Hurricanes.

During the Hurricanes’ intermission, The Flame Sky lights up the Wing-Off stage.

Jason Feathers of The Flame Sky.

Ed Brinkel of The Flame Sky.

Nate Woods of The Flame Sky.

Shawn Shultz of The Flame Sky.

Again, The Flame Sky.

Again, Jason Feathers of The Flame Sky.

One more time, The Flame Sky.

With Jason Feathers of The Flame Sky providing additional guitar, Felix & the Hurricanes.

Again with guest Jason Feathers, Felix & the Hurricanes.

Jason and Felix tearing it up!

Felix, Jeff and Jason.

Some little ones dance to Felix & the Hurricanes.

CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA FESTIVAL OF THE ARTS, STATE COLLEGE 7/13/07

I decided to burn a vacation day from my broadcasting workplace this day to enjoy another highlight of summers in this part of the world, the annual Central Pennsylvania Festival of the Arts in State College. As is the case every year, this year's Festival had a promising slate of musical entertainment, and I planned to check much of it out.

Upon parking near the Bryce Jordan Center and taking the free shuttle bus in to downtown State College, I first headed to the food court to grab a bite to eat, and then proceeded towards the sound of music, coming upon the Youth Stage area, where young area musical talent were given an opportunity to showcase. On the stage was a four-piece group called Chris Good & Friends. I assume Chris Good was the lead singer; the group also had a guitarist, drummer and female bass player. I caught a few songs as they wrapped up their performance, doing versions of Live's "I Alone," Collective Soul's "Shine" and the classic "Wild Thing." This group wasn't bad; they sounded like they were on the same page for the most part. There were a few miscues and tightness issues, but it was a young band and they didn't appear to have been playing together for too long. It was what it was, young musicians having fun playing some popular rock tunes for their friends and passers-by.

Chris Good and friends entertain at the Central Pennsylvania Festival of the Arts.

Again, Chris Good and friends.

From there, I did a tour of the various vendor booths located along the streets and avenues near State College High School's football field. There were various craftsmen and artisens, artists and other vendors showing and selling their wares. One of the more interesting vendors I checked out was Bob McNally's Strumsticks, thin wooden ukulele-like instruments that came in a variety of shapes and sizes. A few passers-by were trying them out, and one or two even bought their own strumsticks while I was there.

Bob McNally’s strumsticks on display.

It became overcast as I was browsing around the vendor stands, and clouds darkened over the Penn State main campus. I feared that we might experience stormy conditions like I witnessed at this festival two years ago. Fortunately, the gathering storm only lightly brushed the Festival before moving off towards Bellefonte; some lightning and thunder could then be seen and heard in the distance.

It lightly sprinkled as I took in part of Eric Himan's performance at the Allen Street Stage. Armed with his acoustic guitar, Eric played a selection of original songs and some select covers. Some of the highlights while I was watching included Eric's original song "Bartender," the pairing of his original song "Holding Back the Years" into a version of Fleetwood Mac's "Dreams," his song "Heart Clean" and more. Eric's voice was in good form, and his presentation was personable, as he shared insight about his music in between songs.

Eric Himan.

Once again, Eric Himan.

After watching Eric for a little while, I headed up to the Old Main stage on the Penn State main campus to take in the Christine Havrilla Band from Philadelphia. Christine's folk rock-geared sound suggested a blend of Sheryl Crow and Fleetwood Mac; featuring good strong melodies and observational lyrical themes about people and life experiences. Christine and her band performed songs from her latest album, Velocity, such as "Use Me" and "Waiting;" and did other original songs such as "Daffodil," "Change of Scenery," "Foothold" and a brand new song, "Take Another Look." Christine's voice was clear and strong, and her band was very talented; I was especially impressed by the harmonica wailing of Bob Beach – good player! I liked what I witnessed of Christine Havrilla and her band enough that I purchased her Velocity CD, and I hope to see this band again sometime should they revisit our neck of the woods.

The Christine Havrilla Band.

Christine Havrilla.

Bob Beach of the Christine Havrilla Band.

Again, Christine Havrilla.

Duane Large of the Christine Havrilla Band.

Bill Gallagher of the Christine Havrilla Band.

Once again, Christine Havrilla.

Bob Beach, Duane Large and Christine Havrilla.

Yet again, Christine Havrilla.

One more time, Christine Havrilla.

With the skies still threatening (but not raining, at least on the Arts Festival), I headed to the State College High School football field stage (I purchased the special $7 button that allowed me to watch performances at this site). Just under way was Washington, D.C.'s Scythian. These guys did an interesting brand of Celtic-flavored rock, with a touch of Mediterranean influence thrown in. Featuring two fiddle players, Scythian played a wild assortment of material, including original songs and jigs, plus traditional Irish numbers, and some unexpected surprises. One such surprise was their Celtic-rock spin on "Wild Thing" into "Louie Louie;" another was their take on the old Four Lads 50's pop standard "Istanbul (not Constantinople)!" Scythian did it all with a lot of energy and enthusiasm, and had the crowd in the bleachers stomping and cheering for more.

Scythian.

Alex Fedoryka of Scythian.

Again, Alex Fedoryka of Scythian.

Again, Scythian.

Scythian’s stage, located on State College High School’s football field.

Once again, Scythian.

Scythian, rallying the audience to clap along.

Scythian’s other fiddle player, Joey Crosby.

Again, Joey Crosby of Scythian.

An accordion enters the picture during Scythian’s performance.

Yet again, Scythian.

Dan Fedoryka of Scythian.

More fun with Scythian.

Scythian's two-fiddle attack.

After Scythian finished, I headed back to the Allen Street Stage to catch a look at a band who has played with the Marauders a few times, The Ultra Kings. From northeastern PA, the Ultra Kings played fiery, driving rockabilly. Steve Zoot on double bass, Carl Von Ehst on drums and Rick Kay on guitar and lead vocals fired through numerous original rockabilly assaults, such as "Women in Cadillacs," "Train Train" (NOT the Blackfoot number), "Eyes Like a Cat," "Let's Do It," "Old Bobcat" and more. Like the Marauders, the Ultra Kings approached their roots rock and rockabilly with the same type of zest and spirit that rock'n'roll's pioneers did in the 50's when they were first creating this stuff. An enjoyable set!

The Ultra Kings.

Again, the Ultra Kings.

Rick Kay of the Ultra Kings.

Once again, the Ultra Kings.

One more time, the Ultra Kings.

I then headed back to the Old Main stage to check out an interesting group called Animus. From Philadelphia, Animus is an instrumental group that did a colorful sound that blended elements of Greek, Blues, Middle Eastern, Jazz, Latin and other styles. With a belly dancer demonstrating her dance moves at the front of the stage, Animus demonstrated their unorthodox instrumentation and unique original compositions. The belly dancer eventually moved her way out to the lawn in front of the stage, and taught some pre-school age girls how to belly dance.

From Philadelphia, Animus.

Two ladies try their hand at dancing while Animus performs.

Again, Animus.

Here's a neat shot I took of two little girls dancing on the sidewalk while Animus performed. Soon after this picture was taken, the belly dancer stepped down onto the stagefront lawn and gave these two youngsters their own lesson on how to belly dance.

Once again with accompanying belly dancer, Animus.

I watched Animus for a few songs, but knew I needed to get back to the Allen Street Stage to procure a strategically good seat to watch the final band on that stage this night, The Nightcrawlers. I knew this stage would crowd up, and it did. My vantage point wasn't quite as excellent as last year's (I was front row and center last year, this year I had to settle for the third row of benches back from the stage). Opening with "Black Hole," singer/guitarist Noah Figlin, keyboardist/flutist/singer Aeb Byrne, bassist Peter Jogo and drummer Steve Arnold proceeded to play numerous songs from their forthcoming new CD, Blue Silver; mixing in the occasional cover along the way. The material from the new album sounded impressive, including the rockabilly-leaning "Open Doors," the slow, bluesy and jazzy Aeb-sung "So Many Stars," "Desert Song," "Lover's Test," the title song "Blue Silver," and the country-leaning "on My Way." The group also included spirited renditions of Pink Floyd's "Another Brick in the Wall" and the Police's "Walking on the Moon." While the Nightcrawlers' stellar musicianship shined through their entire set, perhaps the biggest highlight of their set resulted from a technical glitch. After the group reached the middle of their popular set-closer "African Echo," the main sound system suddenly cut out. As the band continued playing, the sound was eventually restored except for the microphones, and it looked like Aeb wouldn't be able to perform her trademark flute solo at the end of the song. But then magic happened; the rest of the band brought their own volume down low, and the huge crowd followed suit and got quiet, so you could just barely hear Aeb piping out her flute solo above the murmur of the crowd without any amplification...too cool! This provided an unexpected, but ultimately magical, end to another stunning Arts Festival set by The Nightcrawlers, and made me more anxious to hear the new CD when it is released.

This wrapped up the day at the Arts Festival. I was planning a return trip the next day to experience more!

The Nightcrawlers.

Aeb Byrne of the Nightcrawlers.

Noah Figlin and Aeb Byrne of the Nightcrawlers.

Again, Aeb Byrne of the Nightcrawlers.

Again, Noah Figlin of the Nightcrawlers.

Audience members sit on the street as The Nightcrawlers perform.

Peter Jogo of the Nightcrawlers.

The Nightcrawlers, entertaining the packed Allen Street audience.

Once again, Aeb Byrne of the Nightcrawlers.

Piping it up on the flute, Aeb Byrne of the Nightcrawlers.

Once again, the Nightcrawlers.

Some ladies dance in front of the stage towards the end of the Nightcrawlers' set.

VS. THE EARTH @ 4D’S LOUNGE, ALTOONA 7/13/07

Although there was a tempting slate of nightlife entertainment happening in State College after the Arts Festival activities concluded, there was a CD-release party happening in Altoona that I needed to check out. Vs. the Earth was unleashing their long-awaited new disc, The Initiative; and their Altoona celebration of the CD's release was happening at the 4D's Lounge.

I arrived at the Dees right around midnight, in the midst of Vs. the Earth's second set. Before an expectedly packed house, singer/guitarist Adam Marino, lead guitarist Mike Ritchey, bassist Dawg and drummer Elliot Wiley were showcasing songs off the new album. Most of the tunes I didn't recognize at this point, except for the longer-tenured occupants of the group's setlist such as "Higher" into "Friend Zone," and the set-closer "Carolina Sky." But at least from what I was hearing, the tunes were consistent with the Vs. the Earth's signature brand of hard-driving modern pop-rock ear candy, and the Dees crowd was clearly enjoying and responding to it.

During the ensuing intermission, the band members took up positions at their merch table area in the Dee's upper seating area, greeted fans and autographed copies of the CD. While the band was greeting their public, I caught up with their manager, Gary Hutson, and we talked about the group's happenings and their new album.

Soon, Vs. the Earth returned to the stage for their final set. This set concentrated more on rousing covers to keep the crowd festive. The foursome blasted out renditions of current and classic favorites alike; including Bobby Fuller's "I Fought the Law," Buckcherry's "Crazy Bitch," Lit's "My Own Worst enemy," a hip-hop medley, Twisted Sister's "We're Not Gonna Take it" into Tommy James' "Mony Mony," The Knack's "My Sharona" and one original number to finish the night, "Forever Yours." The crowd remained energized through it all, with one inebriated lady doing a stage dive for some impromptu body-surfing, and singer Adam going on his own crowd surfing adventure towards night's end.

In all, it was another fun, high-octane Vs. the Earth party which gave the group's fans the satisfaction of knowing that the group's long-awaited new recording was finally on the streets.

Mike Ritchey and Adam Marino of Vs. the Earth.

Dawg of Vs. the Earth.

Fans look on as Adam Marino of Vs. the Earth sings.

Elliot Wiley of Vs. the Earth.

Mike Ritchey of Vs. the Earth.

Again, Mike Ritchey of Vs. the Earth.

Adam Marino of Vs. the Earth.

Once again, Mike Ritchey of Vs. the Earth.

The Vs. the Earth party continues.

More dance fever with Vs. the Earth.

Red-hot playing with Mike Ritchey of Vs. the Earth.

Adam of Vs. the Earth further fires up the party.

More Mike Ritchey of Vs. the Earth.

Again, Vs. the Earth.

The stagefront crowd hangs on Adam’s every word.

Dawg of Vs. the Earth takes his turn on lead vocals.

A young lady gets ready to body surf.

She takes the plunge…

Up she goes…

She gets a ride from the Dees crowd.

Once again, Adam Marino of Vs. the Earth and the crowd.

The crowd…

Two ladies are happy with their purchase of Vs. the Earth’s new CD, The Initiative.

This lady got a pair of Elliot’s drumsticks as well.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Saturday Dec 19, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: