· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 6/25/07
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Tuesday Oct 16, 2007 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 6/25/07

BROKEN PONY @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 6/20/07

After finishing up workplace duties, I headed to the Hitching Post to take in the remainder of Broken Pony's performance during Wednesday "Country Night."

This night, the regularly-scheduled Broken Pony roster of Randy Rutherford on electric guitar, singer Pat McGinnis on acoustic guitar and bass pedal, Kim Metzger on pedal steel and Tim Yingling on drums was all present and accounted for. During the tail end of their second set and the entire third set that I got to witness, Broken Pony did a great job on their mix of country, country-rock and Americana sounds. Their song selection in the latter stage of their show included renditions of Neil Young's "Helpless" and "Heart Of Gold," The Band's "The Weight," Bob Dylan's "Tangled Up in Blue," the Rolling Stones' "Dead Flowers," Willie/Waylon's "Mamas Don't "Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Cowboys," Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Lodi" and more.

As expected, the musicianship was again top-notch. All four musicians blended well, with Kim's pedal steel work nicely giving the sound its rural coloring, and Tim's brush work on the drums giving the sound just enough push without overpowering it. It all gelled very nicely, and the midsized Hitching Post crowd cheered its approval.

The consumption of the Post's delicious ribs in addition to Broken Pony's performance made it a great early start to the evening.

Kim Metzger and Pat McGinnis of Broken Pony.

Tim Yingling of Broken Pony.

DUSTIN BURLEY @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 6/20/07

With some Pennsylvania Musician-related business to conduct with City Limits main man Claudio, I headed to City Limits from the Post, and caught some of Dustin Burley's weekly Wednesday performance.

Dustin was not flying solo this night; his Plazma bandmate, Kyle Kovich, was providing some drumbeats behind him. Kyle's drums added a little more excitement to the proceedings, as the two musicians offered up an almost nonstop jam workout that strung together a variety of songs, such as Ween/Phish's "Roses Are Free," the Talking Heads' "Psycho Killer," Harry Belafonte's "Women Are Smarter," Bob Dylan/Manfred Mann's "The Mighty Quinn" and the Grateful Dead's "Shakedown Street," during which the two musicians swapped roles and Dustin went behind the drum kit.

I stuck around for part of the next set as well. After Dustin jokingly improvised the "Kyle Wash Your Hands" song while awaiting the return of the percussion session, the two musicians resumed entertaining the lightly-populated venue with a spirited read of the Grateful Dead's "Franklin's Tower." Other songs I witnessed the pair perform included Trey Anastasio's "Tuesday" (by request), the Grateful Dead's "Eyes of the World," and Phish's "Ya Mar" before I called it a night and headed out the door.

What I witnessed from Dustin and Kyle was entertaining, as the two musicians played off one another and improvised in between songs, never staying in one place for too long. It stepped outside the norm of the Dustin's Wednesday acoustic performance, and for the fans on hand to witness it, it was a good time.

The Dustin and Kyle show at City Limits.

1ST ANNUAL CROW’S NEST BLUEGRASS FESTIVAL @ LA FERME ROUGE, PATTON 6/22/07

My day job and night job collided this evening, as I was summoned to do a Q94 remote broadcast from the kickoff of the first annual Crow's Nest Bluegrass Festival at La Ferme Rouge near Prince Gallitzin State Park. After the remote, I stuck around to take in some of the grassin' this night!

This was my first time checking out La Ferme Rouge; and I found it a perfect picturesque rural setting to stage a bluegrass event like this. Since it was a first time event and a Friday evening, attendance started out light for the music, but more people filtered in as the evening progressed. Camping was encouraged, and at least a few people were planning to stick around for the duration; word was that there would be a few 'grass acoustic jams happening around campfires once the main event drew to a close later on.

The music was constant the entire evening, as four different bluegrass groups – Nine Mile Run, Well Strung, Dysart Drive and South Wind – platooned on and off the stage in a successive rotation. One neat thing about bluegrass that allows this is that there aren't drum kits or amplifiers that need to be switched in and out between bands. One group steps off, the next steps on...Multiple microphones were in place across the stage, so set-up amounted to the next band bringing their acoustic instruments up, and determining which mics would be live or turned off.

The first group I was able to check out once my remote duties concluded was Slippery Rock-based bluegrassers Well Strung. Four members strong, Well Strung mixed traditional and non-traditional bluegrass sounds. Singer/guitarist/mandolin player Matt French, mandolin player/guitarist/singer Keith Ondriezek, upright bass player Jeff Scheller and banjo/harmonica player and singer Tom St. John played traditional bluegrass numbers such as Flatt & Scruggs' "Salty Dog Blues," their banjo and bass instrumental "Grandfather's Clock," and their grass adaptation of "Wagon Wheels." But they also grassed up renditions of John Denver's "Take Me Home Country Roads," Nitty Gritty Dirt Band's "Mr. Bojangles" and Eric Clapton's "Lay Down Sally." It all flowed along consistently and smoothly, and these guys were good on their instruments.

From Slippery Rock, Well Strung.

Again, Well Strung.

Jeff Scheller and Tom St. John of Well Strung.

Again, Jeff and Tom of Well Strung.

Stepping up next was Dysart Drive, actually a duo featuring festival organizer Ron Schinkle on guitar and young fiddling prodigy Lindsey Lefort (both former members of Mt. City Grass). The pair did a variety of bluegrass, country and fiddle songs, including traditional numbers like "Ragtime Annie," "Devil's Dream" and "Westphalia Waltz;" Bill Monroe's "Road to Columbus," "Orange Blossom Special" and more. Ron constantly deferred attention to Lindsey's stellar fiddle playing, which brought increased cheers from the audience as their set progressed. An older gentleman named Roy was invited up to the stage to sing lead on the song "Red Wing."

Ron Schinkle and Lindsey Lefort of Dysart Drive.

Again, Dysart Drive.

Dysart Drive welcomes special guest Roy up to the microphone.

Once again, Ron, Roy and Lindsey.

From the Pittsburgh area, Nine Mile Run was next. Five members strong, this group offered a mixture of traditional and gospel bluegrass. Some of their song selections included traditional numbers such as "Feast Here Tonight" and "Take Your Shoes Off Moses," Flatt & Scruggs' "Get In Line Brother," Mac Martin & the Dixie Travelers' "Dark Starless Night," and their own spin on "Grandfather's Clock" (done earlier by Well Strung). This group, too, was skilled on their instruments and executed smoothly, plus generated good vocal harmonies as they went.

Nine Mile Run.

Again, Nine Mile Run.

Taking the stage next was South Wind. Not to be confused with a Pittsburgh-based folk duo, this South Wind also featured members from western Pennsylvania and the local area. Festival organizer Ron Schinkle played mandolin, while Jay Fleming played banjo, Laura Fleming played upright bass, and Sheryl Thomas sang and played guitar. This South Wind blended bluegrass, folk, early country and gospel sounds. Their interesting song selection included such numbers as Bob Dylan's "Nashville Skyline Rag," Bill Monroe's "On My Way Back to the Old Home," the instrumental "Amanda Lynn," the gospel number "A God Before Us Who Can Be Against Us," plus a Vince Gill number. The group also honored a few audience requests, doing grassed-up versions of "Ice Cream Man" and "Free Bird." South Wind's presentation ranged from reverent to playful, and had the mood of friends getting together on the porch and having musical fun.

South Wind.

Once again, South Wind.

The rotation of bands continued with Well Strung returning to the stage. Again, this group did the unexpected in their bluegrass selection, performing bluegrass renditions of such songs as the Grateful Dead's "Friend of the Devil," Steve Miller Band's "Dance Dance Dance," John Prine's "Hobo Song," the traditional "Barefoot Nellie" and more. The group also introduced their own original song, "Can't Hear the Fish." Well Strung's playful vibe caught on with the audience, and the stage front lawn saw its first dance action of the night.

After watching much of Well Strung's set, I departed the festival, as the cold nighttime mountain air was becoming a bit too chilly for my T-shirt and shorts. But what I witnessed of the inaugural Crow's Next Bluegrass Festival was good, and it appeared that this event was off to a good start.

H8BALL @ ALDO’S, ALTOONA 6/22/07

After leaving the Crow's Nest Bluegrass Festival, I headed back down the mountain to Altoona, to check in with York's H8ball at Aldo's.

As you may recall, H8ball was the band featuring transplanted local musos Rick Ramsey on guitar and vocals and Rich Johnson on bass. Rich had departed the group since their earlier Altoona appearance at City Limits last winter, and replacing him this night was Beef, who also does bottom end duties with the Screaming Daisys. Daisys drummer Oz Christ was providing h8ball's beats this night.

Aldo's was only lightly populated early on as I arrived early into Hball's first set. The trio mixed a variety of hard-edged rock, including Holocaust/Metallica's "Small Hours," Tool's "Eulogy," AC/DC's "Ride On," Pearl Jam's "Animal" and more. Rick brandished his harmonica on a rendition of the Doors' "Roadhouse Blues," and demonstrated his Johnny Cash groan on H8ball's hard-rocking take on "Folsom Prison Blues." The group finished the first set with a medley featuring the Beatles' "Come Together" segueing into "Sargent Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band," into Black Sabbath's "War Pigs."

H8ball's performance was a little more freewheeling this night than the winter performance; taking on a few different directions. Rick, Beef and Oz were kicking back and having fun with it, rocking with a smile and never taking things too seriously. Rick's guitar work was again lethal, and he showed his vocal versatility over the range of material the group covered.

A few more people had shown up by the time H8ball launched into their second set. This set featured familiar rockers from Nirvana, Guns'N'Roses, Alice In Chains, ZZ Top, System of a Down, Godsmack and more. A highlight for me during this set was H8ball's ballsy rendition of Prong's "Snap Your Fingers, Snap Your Neck."

I was a bit surprised when the group took a late break, and then returned to the stage for three more songs to end the night. This abbreviated nightcap set featured renditions of the Beatles' "Helter Skelter," Tool's "Sober" and Disturbed's "Sickness."

Overall, this show was what it was. H8ball entertained a smallish Aldo's audience with some good hard-hitting rock; and the folks who were present seemed to enjoy it.

Here’s some rough video from H8ball’s performance:

http://www.rockpage.net/users/jprice/video/MOV09757.MPG

H8ball, making their Aldo’s debut.

Oz Christ of H8ball.

Rick Ramsey of H8ball.

Again, Rick the Pizza Man of H8ball.

Again, H8ball.

Again, Oz Christ of H8ball.

Bassist Beef of H8ball.

Once again, Oz of H8ball.

One more time, Beef of H8ball.

SPLINK! @ FAMILY PIZZA & PUB, ALTOONA 6/23/07

I had been curious about seeing this band ever since they first surfaced. With a name like Splink!, who wouldn't be curious? This night, they were playing close to my home at Family Pizza & Pub, and since they were scheduled to begin at 9, it was a great opportunity to catch a look at them. This was also my first time seeing a band at this venue, which just started running bands recently.

I arrived to find a packed venue, as the band was on intermission between their first and second sets. I was able to procure a seat at the bar by the door, and having not yet eaten dinner, prepared to order something from the Family Pizza menu. Splink! guitarist Jimi Hatt cautioned me on ordering the stromboli, saying their strombolis were so big I would need 3 people to consume one. After some careful consideration, I opted for the stromboli - what the hell, if it was too big for me to finish off, I could always take the leftovers with me!

Soon, Splink! was ready to address my curiosity about what they were musically about, and launched into their second set with K.C. & the Sunshine Band's "Get Down Tonight." Playing in her first band, singer Ashley Bee was showing some good voice and energy as she led Splink! through danceable favorites such as Michael Jackson's "Beat It" and Salt'n'Pepa's "Push It." Ashley, Jimi, London Joe on bass, The BMC on sax and keys, and Mojo Smouse on drums continued with more female-fronted rock, courtesy of Joan Jett's "I Love Rock & Roll," No doubt's "Just a Girl," and the Blondie double-shot of "Call Me" into "One Way or Another." The group finished out the set with Madonna's "Material Girl" and Pat Benatar's "Hit Me with Your Best Shot."

During the set, my stromboli arrived, and as Jimi promised, the thing was HUGE! Somehow, I managed to finish it all in one sitting. For the duration of the night, though, I sounded like the old Alka Seltzer commercial: "I can't believe I ate the whole thing!"

The crowd remained at Family Pizza through the intermission, and were ready to do some dancing as the group started into their final set. By the time Splink! reached their second song of the set, Van Morrison's "Brown Eyed Girl," the small dance area near the stage was filled with participants. Splink! kept the party going with Bryan Adams' "Summer of '69," Pat Benatar's "Heartbreaker," Joan Jett's "I Hate Myself for Loving You," Kelly Clarkson's "Since You've Been Gone," and finally, an extended rendition of the Doors' "Roadhouse Blues" to close out the show.

I was pretty impressed with my first look at Splink!; this band generated the party! The group delivered a lively and bright performance, with enough variation in their styles and arrangements to keep things interesting throughout. And this show revealed Ashley Bee to be a promising performer with a good voice and abundant energy. This show served notice to me; Splink! is an onstage party that should catch on with local audiences quickly once this band gets more local shows under their belts.

Splink!, making their Altoona debut at Family Pizza and Pub.

In her first band ever, Ashley Bee of Splink!.

Again, Ashley Bee of Splink!.

The return of the man in the kilt, Splink!’s Jimi Hatt.

BAD DAZE/FED UP @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 6/23/07

With Splink! finishing by midnight, I had plenty of time to head to City Limits and catch part of the Rock For The Troops double-bill featuring Bad Daze and FedUP.

As it was after midnight, though, FedUP had already performed and were done. With a huge American flag behind them onstage, Bad Daze was into their first of two sets, with a good midsized crowd on hand to cheer them on. Since it was a Rock For The Troops event, there were a number of Rockpagers in the house, including Hawk, YankeeRose, Bag, DirtySanchez, Charltor, Baceman Spiff (okay, the previous three were in the opening band), GetCloserToTheMusic, Darth Tatum, and Jacklyn Miauff. The party was going strong as Bad Daze fired through favorites from Nickelback, Green Day, Buckcherry, Billy Idol, Poison, and eventually Def Leppard's "Pour Some Sugar On Me" to close out the set.

In between sets, the Rock For The Troops cameras went around the City Limits complex, interviewing various folks in attendance and getting their well wishes and shows of support for area troops serving in Iraq and Afghanistan. Some of the sentiments were passionate, and I heard at least one person who was especially appreciative of the Rock For The Troops effort, citing that he knew people who had already returned from Iraq, and with what troops in that part of the world have to face daily, any support and encouragement from the home front is much appreciated.

Soon Bad Daze was back for the final round, opening with Rob Zombie's "Dragula" and continuing with Linkin Park's "One Step Closer." After these two songs, one of the most anticipated moments of the night, as Bad Daze unveiled their first-ever original song, "Lost." This hard-edged rocker went over well with the fans, and received a good round of cheers. Seether's "Remedy" followed, before Bad Daze got the dance floor dancing to Overkill with a rendition of "Old School." The group then slowed things down with Fuel's "Bad Day," giving several couples in the house the opportunity to enjoy some quality grinding. Ozzy's "Crazy Train" followed, before the FedUP contingent joined Bad Daze onstage for the night's finale rendition of Pantera's "Walk."

It was another successful Rock For The Troops night, and both bands and the fans in attendance generated music, support and appreciation for our troops overseas, and made it a fun party along the way.

Rocking for the troops and two ladies in front of the stage, Bad Daze.

BadDazeRob takes the party to the people.

Kenny Murdick and Paul Rainey of Bad Daze.

Bad Daze and some dance floor peeps.

Rob Carolus and Paul Rainey of Bad Daze.

Ken Murdick and Rob Carolus of Bad Daze.

Randy Wilson of Bad Daze.

Bad Daze and partying fans.

Again, Randy Wilson of Bad Daze.

Rob, Bad Daze and fans, rocking for the troops.

Again, Rob Carolus of Bad Daze.

Again, Bad Daze and fans.

DirtySanchez and BadDazeRob.

Again, Sanchez and Rob.

Emptying their clips on stage for the troops and the fans, Bad Daze and FedUP.

Matt Popp of FedUP and Kenny Murdick of Bad Daze.

Kenny Murdick of Bad Daze. No pastries were harmed in the execution of this guitar solo.

Again, BadDazeGuitar and DirtySanchez.

More Old Skool and Sanchez.

More wildness with FedUP and Bad Daze.

Matt Popp of FedUP.

Bad Daze rocks for the troops.

The party continues.

THUNDER IN THE VALLEY, JOHNSTOWN 6/24/07

When the annual Millennium Music Conference was moved back to the winter, I anticipated finally being able to again partake in Johnstown's annual motorcycle rally, Thunder In The Valley. But as Thunder week arrived, workplace duties, a magazine deadline and other things got in the way, and I could only do one day of Thunder, the last day, Sunday.

Although I later learned that the peak crowd for this year's Thunder was on Saturday, a large number of motorcycles and their occupants still populated downtown Johnstown as I arrived and parked my car in one of the parking garages. I made my way past the Central Park gazebo area, which I would visit later; as I headed to the train station stage to take in the latter part of The British Invasion's performance.

An impressive-looking line of motorcycles lined the street near the Train Station stage.

The British Invasion had a little different look from the last time I had seen the group. Kent Tonkin had taken over the bass position in the group, and Clint Carothers was filling in for Beau Saller behind the drum kit. The rest of the group remains Bob Gates on lead vocals and percussion, Rick Wertz on guitar and vocals and Harold Hayford on keys. I arrived during the last hour of their performance, and watched as the group entertained with British rock favorites from the 60's, 70's and 80's. The group tackled some interesting and challenging material, including Pink Floyd's "Time," the David Bowie double-shot of "Fame" and "Suffragette City," the Deep Purple double-shot of "Strange Kind of Woman" and "Hush," the Rick-fronted rendition of the Moody Blues' "The Story in Your Eyes," Led Zeppelin's "Kashmir," Cream's "White Room," and the finale, the Beatles' "I Am the Walrus." It all sounded very good, with all five musicians executing with clockwork precision. I was especially impressed with "Kashmir," and liked the creative way the group pulled off "I Am the Walrus." Although much of the audience was passers-by who stuck around for a song or two before moving on, the response was positive for The British Invasion and their performance.

The British Invasion.

Again, The British Invasion entertains at Thunder In The Valley.

Rick Wertz of The British Invasion.

Bob Gates of The British Invasion.

Again, Bob Gates of The British Invasion.

Playing some rhythm guitar, Harold Hayford of The British Invasion.

Again, Bob Gates of The British Invasion.

Kent Tonkin of The British Invasion.

Again, Harold Hayford of The British Invasion.

Once again, Harold Hayford of The British Invasion.

Clint Carothers of The British Invasion.

Again, The British Invasion.

Again, Clint Carothers of The British Invasion.

One more time, The British Invasion.

After The British Invasion finished, I grabbed a bite to eat while waiting to check out the next band onstage. (Observation: Why do I always gravitate towards purchasing the messiest food item available, and then always forget to grab napkins? Memo to me: It's tough to maneuver a notepad, pen and camera while consuming any sloppy foodstuffs contained in a pita!) I browsed around the various vendor tents, and studied several impressive-looking trikes parked nearby.

The next band was southwestern PA’s Concrete Cowboy. As expected given the name, this group performed country sounds. Although their website lists them as a trio, the group was four members strong this day, with singer/guitarist Howie Walter, keyboardist/singer Bob Schroyer (who usually plays bass as well), drummer Dave Critchfield and a bass player whose name I didn’t catch. I watched as Concrete Cowboy did country favorites such as Jason Aldean’s “Hick Town,” Joe Nichols’ “Tequila Makes Her Clothes Fall Off,” a Toby Keith number and more; also a rendition of Del Shannon’s “Runaway.” As their set unfolded, Bob’s synth tones seemed to be the driving force behind the group’s sound. It came off a bit awkward-sounding to my ears; and just didn’t sound like the real deal to me. These guys were solid as musicians and singers, but their synthesizer-flavored brand of country struck me as being about as authentic as a $3 bill, and just didn’t win me over. After a few songs, I left to venture up to the Central Park gazebo stage.

Concrete Cowboy.

Bob Schroyer of Concrete Cowboy.

Concrete Cowboy’s bass player.

Howie Walter of Concrete Cowboy.

Again, Concrete Cowboy.

There I found Pittsburgh’s Hot Metal Bridge. These guys played a mixture of rock, blues and funk. I arrived just as they were finishing their set with a rendition of Joe Walsh’s “Rocky Mountain Way.” After the break, the group did a final set that featured a funky jam rendition of Dave Mason/Joe Cocker’s “Feelin’ Alright” showcasing their sax player and guitarists, a version of Jackson Browne’s “Running on Empty,” and Wild Cherry’s “Play That Funky Music,” featuring drummer Ron Beitle, who played drums on the Wild Cherry original! Another member of the band was Johnstown’s Russell Lauf on guitar. Hot Metal Bridge showed good musical skill, and their funk-edged mixture was lively and entertaining.

More bikes continued to line the streets as I made my way to the Gazebo stage.

Ron Beitle of Hot Metal Bridge. Ron played the drums for Wild Cherry on their hit “Play That Funky Music.”

Again, Ron Beitle of Hot Metal Bridge.

Hot Metal Bridge.

Again, Hot Metal Bridge.

Hot Metal Bridge’s sax player.

Again, the sax player for Hot Metal Bridge.

Again, Pittsburgh’s Hot Metal Bridge.

The keyboard player for Hot Metal Bridge.

Some clouds rolled in during the latter part of the afternoon, and I felt a few drops of rain as I left Thunder In The Valley. I had another outdoor live music destination in the Johnstown area to head to; hopefully the rains would hold off for a little while longer…

JACKIE KOPCO/BROTHERS KELLY @ ROXBURY BANDSHELL, JOHNSTOWN 6/24/07

After Thunder In The Valley concluded, I stuck around the Johnstown vicinity to check out a show at a venue I had never experienced before. I headed to the Roxbury Bandshell to take in the acoustic show featuring Jackie Kopco and the Brothers Kelly.

For those not familiar with it, the Roxbury Bandshell was first constructed in the late 1930's, to provide a ray of hope to the people of Johnstown following the Great Depression. It hosted live music events over the next few decades, but fell into disrepair and neglect more recently. After a court battle saved the landmark from a date with the wrecking ball, the Roxbury Bandshell Preservation Alliance worked on restoring the Bandshell, and began running a summer concert series there last summer.

I arrived shortly into Jackie Kopco's performance. A decent-sized all-ages audience was taking in the performance, seated in folding lawn chairs they brought along, or along benches at the rear of the grounds. Jackie performed a varied selection of material, spanning favorites to deeper cuts to her own original songs. Some of her selections included R.E.M.'s "Losing My Religion," the Bangles' "Manic Monday," the Beatles' "Blackbird," plus songs from Dar Williams and K.T. Tunstall. Jackie also introduced an original song she penned that was inspired by Counting Crows frontman Adam Duritz, and she finished her set with another original, "Far From You." Jackie's voice was strong, clear and rangeful, and her presentation was pleasant and relaxed, as she shared thoughts and insight on her song selection with the audience.

Jackie Kopco, entertaining at the Roxbury Bandshell.

The Roxbury Bandshell towers over Jackie Kopco’s performance.

Once again, Jackie Kopco.

After a few brief comments by a representative of the Bandshell Preservation Alliance, the Brothers Kelly were introduced. From Greensburg, the Brothers Kelly - Aaron and Jonathan - delivered an entertaining set, combining good instrumental chops and vocals with a freewheeling and unpredictable set list. The brothers did a few original songs such as "Last Dance" and "First to Leave;" plus a kazoo-tinged rendition of Jimmy Buffett's "Margaritaville," Sublime's "Prophet," a request for R. Kelly's "Hump Bounce," the Eagles' "Peaceful Easy Feeling," Joni Mitchell's "Big Yellow Taxi," Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire," Neil Diamond's "Sweet Caroline" and more. The brothers' vibe was playful and fun, and they backed it up musically with good harmonies and tight blending on their guitars. The Brothers Kelly's lively mixture and jovial presentation kept the crowd interested, even as a light drizzle began to fall during the show's waning moments.

Here’s some rough video from the Brothers Kelly’s performance:

http://www.rockpage.net/users/jprice/video/MOV09760.MPG

The Brothers Kelly.

Again, the Brothers Kelly.

Brother Jonathan of the Brothers Kelly.

Brother Aaron of the Brothers Kelly.

Performing in front of the towering Roxbury Bandshell, the Brothers Kelly.

The Brothers Kelly perform before an audience of seated onlookers at the Roxbury Bandshell.

Drizzle notwithstanding, both Jackie Kopco and the Brothers Kelly made it a good show at the Roxbury Bandshell, and made my first experience taking in a show at this landmark a positive one. I hope to make it back for more performances here in the future.

On a related note, it was announced during the show that if visitors to the Bandshell stopped in and ate dinner at the nearby Boulevard Grill afterward, part of the dinner proceeds benefited the Roxbury Bandshell. So I headed there afterward for dinner, and did the steak special. Bottom line, BEST STEAK I've eaten in years! Excellent!

FELIX & THE HURRICANES @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 6/24/07

After finishing my Johnstown excursion, I returned to the Altoona side of the mountain to wrap up my weekend with some Sunday night Hurricaning at the Hitching Post.

I arrived just before the start of the ‘Canes’ second set, finding a good-sized and festive crowd in the house, as well as an esteemed musical guest, Tony Mollick. Felix, Jeff and Bob soon launched the set with the Grateful Dead’s “Alabama Getaway,” followed by the Jeff-fronted ‘Canes original rocker “Black Widow.” Tony then stepped up and joined the Hurricanes, fronting the group on renditions of the Allman Brothers’ “Southbound” and Jonny Lang’s “Rack ‘Em Up.” The group continued with one of their new songs, “Hurtin’ People,” before slowing things down for the Allman Brothers’ “Soulshine.” With Felix taking a bathroom break, Jeff and Bob held down the fort on Grand Funk’s “Some Kind of Wonderful,” with Jeff singing and carrying the tune on bass. After Felix returned, the group finished out the set with Los Lonely Boys’ “Heaven.”

The nightcap set resumed the party quickly, with guest Tony again handling the lead vocal on the Allmans’ “Dreams.” The energy level escalated with Molly Hatchet’s “Flirtin’ with Disaster,” before the Hurricanes acknowledged Hurricaniac Marge’s birthday with a rendition of John Michael Montgomery’s “Sold (The Grundy County Auction).” Next was a freewheeling version of John Mellencamp’s “Rain on the Scarecrow,” which incorporated a playful midsection featuring the “Chicken Dance,” the “Green Acres” theme and a “Hee Haw” singalong. Tony Mollick then rejoined the band for Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “I Know a Little,” which converted into a galloping take on Bob Seger’s “Turn the Page” to end the night.

It was another fun and rowdy Hurricanes party, with guest Tony’s presence lifting the overall energy of the evening. It was good tunes and good times, slamming the exclamation point on a busy early summer weekend!

Esteemed guest Tony Mollick, singing with Felix & the Hurricanes.

Tony, Jeff Clapper and a dancing Hurricaniac.

Felix and Bob of the Hurricanes.

Tony Mollick sings to some dancing Hurricaniacs.

Hurricane Felix and Tony Mollick, whooping it up.

Again, Felix & the Hurricanes.

JP’s HAIKU

Party down with Splink
Family Pizza and Pub
Monster strombolis!

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Saturday Dec 19, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner