· The Final Cut
WEEKEND RECAP 6/11/07
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Tuesday Sep 11, 2007 

WEEKEND RECAP 6/11/07

THE NIGHTCRAWLERS @ THE PHYRST, STATE COLLEGE 6/7/07

Since my day job had me doing a live remote broadcast in Clearfield County early in the evening, I was already on the road; and thus after my remote duties were completed, I stayed on the road to take in The Nightcrawlers' weekly Thursday show at State College's Phyrst.

It was already a busy evening at the Phyrst as I arrived during The Nightcrawlers' first set. With guest Ted McCloskey sitting in on guitar and laptop slide, The Nightcrawlers again brought their colorful mixture of tasty classic rock and multi-flavored original compositions. As I procured my first brew and located a strategic viewing position, the group went into their rendition of the Police's "Roxanne," accented by Aeb Byrne's flavorful flute accompaniment. Aeb then showed her singing skills with a passionate performance of Dusty Springfield's "Son of a Preacher Man," before lead singer/guitarist Noah Figlin introduced one of the group's new originals, "Out of My Way." After another song, the group closed out their first set with an excellent rendition of Led Zeppelin's "When the Levee Breaks," with Ted chiming in with some incredible laptop slidework to lend a swampy mood to the song.

After a short intermission, the Nightcrawlers were back with their second chapter this night, starting off with their fresh read of the Beatles' "A Day in the Life." The group then jumped into Men at Work's "Down Under," with the spotlight again on Aeb's colorful flute solo work. Aeb then sang lead on a song (I think an original number), before Noah's guitar work shined on Dire Straits' "Sultans of Swing." After another new original song, it was bassist Pete Jogo's turn in the spotlight, as he delivered a convincing Johnny Cash groan on "Ring of Fire." The group picked up the tempo with the Pretenders' "Middle of the Road," followed by another original tune, "Grasslands." After a version of the Hollies' "Long Cool Woman (in a Black Dress)," the Nightcrawlers sent the set home with their ever-popular original hit "African Echo."

The Phyrst was consistently filled throughout the evening. It wasn't quite as packed as I've seen it on some nights, but it was still a busy crowd, and much of the student crowd was digging the Nightcrawlers' spirited musicianship and crisp variations on their song material. As expected, the musicianship was again top-notch, with Noah's stinging guitarwork and Aeb's flute flare in excellent form, backed by Pete's lean bass lines and Steve Arnold's steady clockwork rhythms. Ted McCloskey's added fireworks on guitar and laptop slide were icing on the cake; it all blended together into a catchy, interesting and infectious sound!

The Nightcrawlers returned to the Led Zeppelin catalog to start their final set, commencing with "Going to California." After a reggae-flavored instrumental, the group did one of their established original songs, the country-tinged "Lover's Test," topped with some more tasty slidework from Ted. Aeb then sang lead on the group's fiery read of Talking Heads' "Burning Down the House," before the Nightcrawlers kicked up the tempo on "Hot Hot Hot." The group then did two more new original numbers (the titles I didn't catch), before closing out the night with their feisty read of the Grateful Dead's "Shakedown Street," which playfully segued into "When the Saints Go Marching In," bringing the stagefront dance crowd to a gyrating frenzy!

This night again affirmed that The Nightcrawlers continue to be one of the hottest live music commodities in Happy Valley. If your impatient for your next Nightcrawlers fix in the 'Toona, plan a Thursday night roadtrip to the Phyrst and catch these guys and gal in front of the home base fans; it's always a party!

Noah Figlin of The Nightcrawlers.

Steve Arnold of The Nightcrawlers.

The Nightcrawlers, demonstrating their musical virtuosity at the Phyrst.

Aeb Byrne of The Nightcrawlers.

The Nightcrawlers continue to entertain a festive crowd at the Phyrst.

Again, Steve Arnold of The Nightcrawlers.

Special guest Ted McCloskey jams with Noah Figlin and The Nightcrawlers.

The musical fireworks continue with The Nightcrawlers.

More fun with The Nightcrawlers.

Once again, Ted McCloskey with Noah Figlin of The Nightcrawlers.

Cranking up the flute, Aeb Byrne of The Nightcrawlers.

DUBMISSIVE/SILVER SUNDAY @ ALDO’S, ALTOONA 6/8/07

The game plan this night was originally supposed to be a live music show doubleheader for me, as I wanted to catch New Jersey's Blue Number Nine at downtown Altoona's Curtin Plaza during the kickoff of the Blair County Arts Foundation's "Summer Sounds of Jazz" concert series. However, I had to anchor the board at the broadcast workplace for a remote broadcast until 7 PM, and at the stroke of 7, just as I was set to leave the building to head to Curtin Plaza, a ferocious thunderstorm plowed into the area with vivid lightning, fierce winds and driving rain. I quickly concluded that any outdoor concert events happening this night wouldn't be lasting long in these weather conditions, thus I decided to remain indoors at the workplace to get some extra chores done. (Eyewitness accounts told me that the food tent at Curtin Plaza blew across 11th Avenue when the storm winds arrived, and that the Relay For Life at Mansion Park, where several bands were scheduled to perform, was likewise cancelled after winds wreaked havoc on their tents and displays. Alas, it's that time of year.)

The second part of my live music doubleheader was indoors, and would go on as scheduled. Johnstown's Dubmissive was returning to perform at Aldo's, with Silver Sunday opening.

A good-sized crowd was already in place at Aldo's as I arrived just prior to Silver Sunday's opening set. The happy-go-lucky foursome of singer Cathie, guitarist Buck Dickson, bassist Mike Stanley and drummer Todd Harshbarger played their reliable blend of upbeat female-fueled modern, alternative and 80's rock/pop. Silver Sunday performed original songs, including "Just Like Lisa" and several new ones. They also did solid renditions of Til Tuesday's "Voices Carry" and the Toadies' "Possum Kingdom." The group welcomed members of Dubmissive up to the stage for some cameo appearances; with Joe Sell providing additional vocals on Fallout Boy's "Dance Dance," and Bobby Dub singing lead on Sublime's "Santeria." Perhaps the standout moment of the set, though, was the unveiling of another 80's pop gem as only Buck can sing it; Wham's "Careless Whisper." Silver Sunday kept it entertaining throughout, with Cathie frequently taking her presentation off the stage, onto the dance floor and throughout the Aldo's complex. It was a bright, fun, perky set that set the table for Dubmissive to follow.

With Dubmissive's Joe Sell helping on vocals, Silver Sunday.

Again with Dubmissive's Joe Sell belting out lead voice, Silver Sunday.

Buck Dickson of Silver Sunday.

Crooning on Wham's "Careless Whisper," Buck of Siover Sunday.

Cathie of Silver Sunday.

Dubmissive - singer/guitarist Bobby Dub, bassist Joe Sell and drummer Steve Hanik - reacquainted Aldo's with their freewheeling brand of music, that fused together elements of punk, funk, roots, reggae, ska and more. This group musically never stayed in one place for long, with arrangements and melodies that constantly changed the style, tempo and intensity levels. Dubmissive did plenty of original songs, including "Something to Believe," "Exodus," "Desperation," "Rebel Song," "Decked Out," "Fire of Our Lives" and more. The group kept it lively and interesting with constant movement onstage, and frequent banter with the audience. Although the audience was casually taking in the show, at least a few folks were vigorously grooving in front of the stage as Dubmissive continued their multi-pronged musical journey.

For me, it was a good opportunity to get a clearer picture of what Dubmissive was about, and gain a better appreciation of what they brought to the table. Again, it was cool to see a good crowd in the house to see a relatively unknown band on this side of the mountain and hear new, unfamiliar music. Overall, a good show.

Dubmissive brings their freewheeling mix of sounds to Aldo's.

Joe Sell and Bobby Dub of Dubmissive.

Again, Joe and Bobby of Dubmissive.

Again, Joe Sell of Dubmissive.

More Dubmissive.

Fans gather in front of the stage as Dubmissive performs.

Once again, Bobby and Joe of Dubmissive.

Again, Bobby Dub of Dubmissive.

Steve Hanik of Dubmissive.

Again, Steve Hanik of Dubmissive.

Once again, Bobby Dub of Dubmissive.

Once again, Dubmissive.

One more time, Joe Sell of Dubmissive.

CUSTOMER APPRECIATION DAY @ ACE’S MUSIC SALES, CRESSON 6/9/07

With the weather markedly improved over the night before, I was headed up the hill to Cresson this day to take in the Customer Appreciation Day show staged by Ace's Music Sales. Rick and Ace's organize this event each year to thank their customers, including the bands who shop there. A number of those bands were invited to be on the bill this afternoon.

I arrived during the early afternoon, and found at least a few music fans in attendance, and taking in the sunshine and free music. Unfortunately, I arrived a little too late to see Panic Mode's set, but I was told that they represented well. One of these days I will catch up with this young group!

I did arrive in time to see the next band, Our Broken Silence. From Martinsburg, Our Broken Silence introduced a sound blending hard alternative and punk rock elements. The group - singer Mike Teeter, guitarist Brandon Musselman, bassist Adam Kenawell and drummer Chris Musselman - performed an all-original set, including such songs as "Reveals the Blood," "Never Let Me Out," "Starlit Eyes," "Lifeless in Love," "Porcelain," "City Girl," "Radio," "Perfect Stranger," "Wake Up" and more. Mike gave an agitated, animated presentation, with a style a little suggestive of Talking Heads frontman David Byrne.

An almost religious experience happened during this set. As Our Broken Silence proceeded into their set, a few fans began calling out requests for the song "Porcelain." Mike refused the requests early on, explaining that the band hadn't done that song in ages and really didn't want to do it. But the calls for the song grew as the set progressed, including a voice from around the side of Ace's shed, which Mike surmised was the voice of God. Eventually, when the group finally relented and performed "Porcelain," God stepped from around the shed and revealed himself in the image of...Darth Tatum from House Of Cain/The Embalmed! Who knew?

Our Broken Silence kicks off their performance at Ace's Music Sales.

Mike Teeter of Our Broken Silence.

Brandon Musselman of Our Broken Silence.

Again, Mike Teeter of Our Broken Silence.

Once again, Our Broken Silence.

As the Ace's crowd recovered from this religious experience, the next band of the afternoon, Currently Debating, performed. I first saw this group during their debut performance at Dennie Huber's Crazy Fest Amateur Youth Talent show earlier in April, and was curious to see what else they had to offer (they could only play one song at Crazy Fest). Comprised of singer Alex Thomas, guitarist/singer Adam Ingram, bassist Philip Miller and drummer Phil W.; Currently Debating played a selection of mostly pop/punk-geared original songs, including a few new numbers they were playing out for the first time. They also threw in a cover of Blink 182's "Dammit." Still a new young band playing just their third gig, Currently Debating is still getting their feet under them. But they did a respectable job, and should continue to improve and tighten up their presentation as they continue to log stage time.

Currently Debating begins their set at Ace's Customer Appreciation Day.

Alex Thomas and Adam Ingram of Currently Debating.

Phil W. of Currently Debating.

Philip Miller of Currently Debating.

Once again, Currently Debating.

Once again, Phil W. of Currently Debating.

The next band was Kamikaze Katfight. Based out of Altoona, Kamikaze Katfight announced that they were "coming out of retirement" this day; so I assume they have been together for a bit of time previously. The group did five original numbers; their musical flavor varying between garage rock/punk and funk. The group didn't sound especially well-rehearsed, and the guitars sounded a bit out of tune with one another. The singer appeared to be a bit timid on the microphone, perhaps still getting his game feet under him after the layoff. This all might just have been a matter of the group regaining their bearings as they return to action as a band; we'll keep an eye on them.

Returning after a hiatus from live performance, Kamikaze Katfight.

Again, Kamikaze Katfight.

Kamikaze Katfight's drummer.

Once again, Kamikaze Katfight.

The vocalist for Kamikaze Katfight.

Next was a change of pace. As the next band, Acalasia, set up, solo performer George Bollman Jr. played several selections on his acoustic guitar. From Portage, George performed a small set of country and gospel songs. One of his songs, "Jesus Is All I Need," borrowed the melody from Willie Nelson's "Blue Eyes Cryin' in the Rain." George displayed a relaxed and laid-back style; and although the prominent flavor of the day was rock, his performance was received well by the small audience.

George Bollman, Jr.

Acalasia then took the stage. The group had just finished up work on their 6-song debut EP, and showcased all six songs during this set. Singer Krystal Shore, guitarists Ryan Sheehan and Neil Deyarmin, bassist Stephen Wells and drummer Cory Aboud opened with "So Much for the Railcar," and proceeded with "There's No Place Like Home," the "Backyard Rocker"-airplayed "Contradictory," "Unused," "Maniac Parade" and "Based on True Stories." Acalasia's performance was strong, offering a sharp, hard modern rocking style in the Evanescence vein. Krystal's voice was in good form, and her bandmates backed her up with a tight, crisp and powerful backdrop. It was another strong set from Acalasia that served notice with the Ace's audience that this is a band that will be talked about more frequently in the coming months.

Here's some rough video from Acalasia's performance:

http://www.rockpage.net/users/jprice/video/MOV09676.MPG

Acalasia begins their performance at Ace's.

Krystal Shore of Acalasia.

Ryan Sheehan of Acalasia.

Again, Acalasia.

Again, Krystal Shore of Acalasia.

Neil Deyarmin and Stephen Wells of Acalasia.

Again, Ryan Sheehan of Acalasia.

One more time, Krystal Shore of Acalasia.

During the equipment changeover between Acalasia and the day's final band, Spirit Lost, George Bollman Jr. returned to the stage area to perform a few more gospel-flavored songs, this time joined by Ron Laney (the father of Ace's Rick). The two men did some more gospel-flavored acoustic songs, including a rendition of "The Old Rugged Cross."

George Bollman, Jr. and Ron Laney.

Soon Spirit Lost was set to close out the day. Singer Austin Tepsic, guitarists Brian Smith and Joe Harpster, bassist Russ Patterson and drummer Lisa "Woo" Fazenbaker played their freewheeling mixture of modern rock, original songs and more. The group played a wide variety, spanning Live's "Dolphins Cry" and Foo Fighters' "Monkey Wrench" to Survivor's "Eye of the Tiger," Garth Brooks' "Thunder Rolls" and more. Spirit Lost also did several of their own, including "Lost Soul," plus newer songs such as "Pieces of a Stained Glass Mind" and "Journey of a Lifetime." The group again sounded sharp as they smoothly shifted between moods and textures, from harder metallic moments to more understated Tool/Pink Floyd-styled flourishes. The group finished up just as the sun was beginning to set, and they successfully brought a hard-rocking close to the day.

Spirit Lost.

Austin Tepsic of Spirit Lost.

Joe Harpster and Russ Patterson of Spirit Lost.

Again, Austin Tepsic of Spirit Lost.

Again, Spirit Lost.

Woo! It's Lisa Fazenbaker of Spirit Lost.

With some fans and Acalasians watching, Spirit Lost.

In all, it was a fun day at Ace's Music. The young slate of bands did a respectable job overall, and the crystal clear sunshine and 70-degree temperatures made it a comfortable afternoon (a little too comfortable for some of us, who received some of the season's first sunburn). I was glad to take in Ace's Music's Customer Appreciation Day event for the first time, and I look forward to checking out more in the future.

NITEKAST @ DAVEY’S, HASTINGS 6/9/07

After the Ace's Music Sales Customer Appreciation Day concert concluded, I did an evening meal at the nearby Cresson Springs Restaurant, before working my way northward to Davey's in Hastings, to check in with northern Cambria County trio Nitekast.

Nitekast theselves had a busy day; earlier performing at a Battle of the Bands at Ace's Lounge in Johnstown. Singer/guitarist Brandon Scalese, bassist/singer Josh Oaks and drummer Josh Boring were putting the finishing touches on setting up as I arrived.

Davey's was lightly populated as Nitekast kicked off their first set with an almost-forgotten Bush number, "Cold Contagious." The crowd was a bit stiff and and unresponsive at first as Nitekast did REM's "The One I Love" and their rocking original song "Humidity;" but some dancers began to populate the dance floor when the group arrived at Collective Soul's "Shine." The party steadily picked up steam as Nitekast continued with numbers from Gin Blossoms, Green Day, Tom Petty, Roxette, Flock of Seagulls, Modern English, and to finish the set, Brandon's solo voice-and-guitar rendition of Pearl Jam's "Black."

I liked what I heard from Nitekast so far. I could tell that these guys have logged some steady stage time since the first time I saw them perform last year at Bar 53 in Coalport; their execution was tighter, and their overall instrumental skills improved. Both Brandon and bassist Josh have evolved into capable singers who can both carry a tune; and overall, this band's confidence level has improved as well.

Soon, Nitekast commenced their second set with an original song, ("Down to You"), and the dance floor was soon busy again. The group kept the energy level up with songs from Jimmy Eats World, Sublime, Nirvana, Duran Duran, Simple Minds, ZZ Top, Green Day, Judas Priest, Bush, The Clarks and more. Nitekast also did another of their own songs, "Rise Again." At one point during the middle of the set, Brandon's guitar required some servicing, and a member of the group's road crew dubbed "the guitar doctor" stepped up and fixed the afflicted instrument at the side of the stage. As with the first set, Nitekast's second set drew to a close with a Brandon solo performance, as he finished with Green Day's "Good Riddance."

More people arrived steadily at Davey's as the night progressed, and a fair-sized crowd was in place by the time Nitekast started their nightcap set.

Starting with Nirvana's "In Bloom," Nitekast resumed the party with numbers from AC/DC, Golden Earring, Gin Blossoms, Billy Squier, Jimmie's Chicken Shack, Rage Against the Machine and more. By audience request, Nitekast repeated two songs they did earlier; Roxette's "The Look" and Flock of Seagulls' "I Ran." At the end of the set, the Davey's audience wanted to hear more, and Nitekast answered with a Josh Oaks-fronted version of Styx's "Renegade."

Overall, this was a good show, that showed me Nitekast's steady progress and improvement over the past year. This trio delivers a solid, energetic rocking party, and can bring the excitement on a Saturday night. If you see their name on the marquee, Nitekast is well worth checking out.

Brandon Scalese of Nitekast.

Josh Oaks and Brandon Scalese of Nitekast.

Nitekast, rocking Davey's.

Again, Brandon Scalese of Nitekast.

Again, Josh Oaks of Nitekast.

Josh Boring of Nitekast.

Nitekast triggers dance floor action at Davey's.

Again, Josh Boring of Nitekast.

While "the guitar doctor" works on Brandon's guitar, Nitekast continues to rock Davey's.

One more time, Josh Oaks and Brandon Scalese of Nitekast.

GIN BLOSSOMS @ BLAIR COUNTY BALLPARK, ALTOONA 6/10/07

After years of few-and-far-between major concerts coming to Altoona, this summer season erupted, with major concerts slated for the Railroaders Memorial Museum (the Alive @ Five Summer Concert Series), the Jaffa Shrine (Jackyl and Kentucky Headhunters during Roar in the Mountains weekend in September), and Blair County Ballpark. The first of the Blair County Ballpark concerts was this night, as the Gin Blossoms were coming to town.

This turned into a very fun evening. The weather was nice as the festivities kicked off on Blair County Ballpark’s Toyota Party Deck (along the third base side), with Rock & Rye performing. I arrived midway through their set, but got to see Greg “Rock” Burley and Ryan “Rye” Clark play a mix of rock and country “acoustic intoxication” favorites; including Johnny Cash’s “Folsom Prison Blues” and “I Walk the Line,” The Who’s “Won’t Get Fooled Again,” Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Free Bird” and more. The group’s performance was also shown on the ballpark’s big center field video screen, so anybody in the ballpark could watch it…Cool!

Rock & Rye, performing on the Party Deck and on the video screen.

Again, Rock & Rye.

After a brief intermission, another act took the Party Deck stage, the U.S. Sound Theatre. Making one of their phoenix-like special appearances, the U.S. Sound Theatre put on an amazing performance, lifting the bar high for the national names to follow! These guys were feeling it, as they shined on a variety of 70’s era brass-flavored rock and roll. The group did plentiful amounts of Chicago classics, including “Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?,” “Beginnings,” “Saturday in the Park,” “Make Me Happy” and “25 or 6 to 4.” The group also broke out Steely Dan’s “My Old School,” Average White Band’s “Cut the Cake,” Tower Of Power’s “So Very Hard to Go,” Huey Lewis & the News’ “Heart of Rock and Roll,” and the finale, Edgar Winter Group’s “Back in the U.S.A.” This band was on fire, from the glorious performance of the 4-piece horn section to the passionate and soulful vocal work of Jim Pastore and Rick Wertz, to blazing guitar work from Rick and Ric Criste, and Harold Hayford’s full keyboard colorings. The Ric Criste/Bob Scholl guitar/sax duel during “Back in the U.S.A.” was incredible! The U.S. Sound Theatre’s performance elevated the energy of the evening and clearly fired up the large Party Deck audience; obviously the Gin Blossoms’ work was cut out for them, having to successfully follow this act!

Rick Wertz and Mike Pastore of U.S. Sound Theatre.

A video camera captures U.S. Sound Theatre's Party Deck performance for the whole stadium to see.

Belting out some soulful voice, Rick Wertz of U.S. Sound Theatre.

Pouring out so much soul he's seeing polka dots on the sidewalk, Rick Wertz of U.S. Sound Theatre.

Sounding brassy and sassy, the horn section of U.S. Sound Theatre.

Jim Pastore of U.S. Sound Theatre.

The U.S. Sound Theatre.

Once again, the U.S. Sound Theatre.

Jeff Crownover of U.S. Sound Theatre.

Harold Hayford of U.S. Sound Theatre.

Bob Scholl of U.S. Sound Theatre.

Once again, Bob Scholl of U.S. Sound Theatre.

The musical action then shifted to the main stage, situated over home plate and facing the stadium behind home plate. The Gin Blossoms brought along their own opening act, the St. Louis-based band One Lone Car. I was conversing with friends and feeding my face during their set, and was only paying marginal attention to their performance. One Lone Car did a short set of melody-geared pop, rock and funk, led by singer and keyboard player Dustin Plegge. Although I didn’t catch any of their song titles, I thought they had some good melodies, and Dustin showed some heart and passion in his performance. One Lone Car didn’t get any favors as far as sound quality, though, as the mix was brash for the cavernous setting of the home plate stands at Blair County Ballpark, and the drums were overpowering in the mix. It might have sounded better down in front of the stage, but in the stands, it was loud and echoing.

The crowd files in to the stadium seats to see the Gin Blossoms.

Ronny D, sitting in the handicapped section.

Thanks to a stagefront ticket handed to me at the last minute by Half Tempted drum man Steve McCulley, I was able to head down in front of the stage to watch the Gin Blossoms' performance. A good-sized throng of fans was assembled in front of the stage as the Gin Blossoms started into their set. Singer Robin Wilson, guitarists Jesse Valenzuela and Scotty Johnson, bassist Bill Leen and current touring drummer Scott Kusmirek mixed between their established hits and newer songs. The group did their best-known hits such as "Allison Road," "Found Out About You" into "Hey Jealousy," and "Til I Hear It From You." From their latest album, last year's Major Lodge Victory, The Gin Blossoms did such songs as "Heart Shaped Locket," "Super Girl," "Long Time Gone" and more. The Gin Blossoms were polished and consistent; their overall sound bright and upbeat. They were instrumentally solid, and Robin's voice was in good form. And a product of modern-day technology, Robin frequently sang into cell phones handed up to him by audience members in front of the stage. He looked like a pro doing this, taking phones constantly and singing a line or two into them without missing a word! Dubbed by Robin as "just a humble band from the dusty desert," the Gin Blossoms went over well with the Blair County Ballpark crowd, and were called back for an encore at show's end.

The combination of the Gin Blossoms' strong performance and the exciting sets from the local openers, plus running into a lot of friends I hadn't seen in a long time (including my high school class president, Roy, who was dancing like a wildman while the U.S. Sound Theatre performed), made this an excellent and memorable evening. According to representatives of the booking agency, In2It Promotions, more concerts could be on the way!

Robin Wilson of the Gin Blossoms.

Singing into cell phones for much of the night, Robin Wilson of the Gin Blossoms.

The Gin Blossoms.

As the sun sets on Blair County Ballpark, the Gin Blossoms.

Jesse Valenzuela of the Gin Blossoms.

Again, the Gin Blossoms.

Scotty Johnson of the Gin Blossoms.

Again serenading somebody on the cell phone, Robin Wilson of the Gin Blossoms.

Robin Wilson and Bill Leen of the Gin Blossoms.

Big Jim takes in the performance of Robin Wilson and the Gin Blossoms.

Again, the Gin Blossoms.

Again, Robin Wilson of the Gin Blossoms.

Again, Scotty Johnson of the Gin Blossoms.

Once again, Scotty Johnson of the Gin Blossoms.

The crowd clearly enjoys the Gin Blossoms' performance.

Once again, Robin Wilson of the Gin Blossoms.

More Gin Blossoms!

Getting set to croon into another cell phone, Robin Wilson of the Gin Blossoms.

FELIX & THE HURRICANES @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 6/10/07

Following the Gin Blossoms concert, I decided to wrap up the evening and weekend with some Sunday Hurricaning at The Hitching Post.

The Post was only lightly populated as I first arrived. The reliable trio of guitar man and singer Felix Kos, drum man Bob Watters and bass man and singer Jeff Clapper were firing through their blend of classic rock, blues and country favorites, plus established and new original songs. During this set, the selection included the Beatles’ “Ticket to Ride,” several Lynyrd Skynyrd classics such as “Ballad of Curtis Loew,” “Sweet Home Alabama” and “I Know a Little,” the Allman Brothers’ “Dreams I’ll Never See,” Charlie Daniels’ “Leave That Long-Haired Country Boy Alone” and more; along with original tunes such as “Just a Fool,” the new “Hurtin’ People,” “Talk About Love” and more.

More folks steadily arrived at the Post as the set proceeded, and by intermission a good-sized contingent of Hurricaniacs populated the venue. The mood became more festive, and it was looking likely that this party was about to escalate.

It did. As the Hurricanes launched into their next set with the original favorites “Black Widow” and “Walking A Straight Line,” the first dancers of the night made their appearance on the Post’s small stagefront dance floor. The dancing continued through the Eagles’ “Take It Easy” and Los Lonely Boys’ “Heaven.” The ‘Canes then broke out some John Mellencamp, doing “Rain on the Scarecrow,” followed by Jethro Tull’s “Locomotive Breath” and Bob Seger’s “Turn the Page.” The party continued with Georgia Satellites’ “Keep Your Hands to Yourself,” Free’s “All Right Now,” and Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “That Smell;” before the group launched into Iron Butterfly’s “Innagaddadavida.” This song featured the two-man edition of the ‘Canes, as Jeff carried the melody on voice and bass and Bob kept the beat, while Hurricane Felix dashed off to the Post’s “beer deposit” room.

The rowdy Post crowd didn’t want the party to end, so as Felix returned, the group continued with two more songs; Marshall Tucker Band’s “Can’t You See,” with guest Colton Fouse helping on guitar, gearshifting into a stormy rendition of the Outlaws’ “Green Grass and High Tides” to send the night to a glorious finish.

It was again a night of dazzling Hurricanes instrumental fireworks and rowdy fun, and the Hitching Post crowd – and ‘Caniac wildman Ed in particular – had an exhaustive good time. A perfect ending to a memorable weekend!

Bob Watters and Jeff Clapper of the Hurricanes.

Jeff Clapper of the Hurricanes.

Hurricane Bob.

Guest Colton jams on Hurricane Felix's guitar.

Again, Colton jams, with Felix and 'Caniac Ed looking on.

Once again, Colton, Felix and Ed.

In the audience this night, a Tina sandwiched between two Michelles.

JP’S HAIKU
Gin Blossoms concert
U.S. Sound Theatre rocked
Brass rock explosion!

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Saturday Dec 19, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1