· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 9/17/07
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Mar 07, 2008 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 9/17/07

PATRIOT DAY CONCERT @ HERITAGE PLAZA, ALTOONA 9/11/07

Two days before, the Rock For The Troops concert happened at downtown Altoona’s Heritage Plaza to show support and rally around our local troops putting their lives on the line in Iraq and Afghanistan. This night, another concert, marking the anniversary of the pivotal event that led to those troops being sent to those parts of the world, took place. Marking the sixth anniversary of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on America, the Blair County Community Action Agency staged their annual “Patriot Day” activities. This was a day-long remembrance, starting with a presentation with civic leaders and dignitaries during the morning, including a minute of silence at 8:46 AM to mark the moment when the first plane hit the World Trade Center. A community lunch took place from 11 AM to 1 PM. And the day was capped by the “Patriot Day Concert,” featuring a number of musical and other performance acts.

I arrived as Signs In Motion was performing, blending dance routines with sign language. Several solo performers then did songs; including Megan Ritchey’s heartfelt rendition of “God Bless the U.S.A.,” and Megan and young country singer Elaini Arthur teaming up on a version of “Rocky Top.” Then Elaini performed solo, brandishing her pink acoustic guitar and doing the traditional “I’ll Fly Away,” Johnny Cash’s “Get Rhythm” and Conway Twitty’s “Long Black Train.”

Megan Ritchey.

Elaini Arthur and Megan Ritchey.

Again, Elaini and Megan.

Elaini Arthur. This young lady keeps improving year after year, and has a potentially bright future ahead of her.

The Community Action Agency’s “all-star” band, Big Mac & the Fries (made up of members from various bands who played the Agency’s summer concert series over the past few months), then performed a few songs. Singer/drummer Allan Robison, singer/guitarist Don Osborn, bassist/singer Bill Hunter, keyboardist Ken Civils and guitarist John McKelvey did renditions of Deep Purple’s “Smoke on the Water,” Tommy Tutone’s “867-5309/Jenny,” Santana’s “Black Magic Woman” and more.

Next was Angela Dodson, singing some country favorites. Angela demonstrated her excellent voice on renditions of Dolly Parton’s “Jolene,” Johnny Cash’s “Ring of Fire,” Lynn Anderson’s “Stand By Your Man” and more.

Angela Dodson, performing during the Patriot Day concert.

Another sign-and-dance troupe, Rodney & Friends, then gave another demonstration of dance moves and sign language; before Big Mac & the Fries and Angela Dodson teamed up to finish the concert with renditions of Hank Williams’ “Your Cheatin’ Heart,” the Doobie Brothers’ “China Grove” (without Angela), Eric Clapton’s “Wonderful Tonight,” Spirit’s “I Got a Line on You,” and Van Morrison’s “Brown-Eyed Girl” to finish the evening.

Big Mac & the Fries with Angela Dodson close out the Patriot Day concert.

Again, Big Mac & the Fries with Angela.

The general purpose of this concert is to unite the community with something positive, after remembering the awful thing that happened to our nation on this day in 2001. The Patriot Day Concert achieved that, as a good-sized, all-ages crowd united to enjoy music, dance, and solidarity as a community and nation. This night also closed the book on the Blair County Community Action Agency’s concert series for this summer season.

BILL DEASY/THE CLARKS @ RAILROADERS MEMORIAL MUSEUM, ALTOONA 9/12/07

Altoona’s Railroaders Memorial Museum capped their inaugural season of the “Alive @ Five Summer Concert Series” this night with another big Pittsburgh double-bill, featuring The Clarks and Bill Deasy. It had been the first time in several years that The Clarks had set foot on Altoona soil; and even early on, it became apparent that this would be the biggest-drawing concert of the inaugural series.

The former singer of Pittsburgh-based national recording group The Gathering Field, Bill Deasy and his full band – featuring Rob James of The Clarks on guitar – opened with a set of Americana-flavored rock. The group performed songs from Bill's latest solo album, The Miles, and also included two of The Gathering Field's best-known songs, "Lost in America" and "I'd Believe in God for You." The balanced mixture of acoustic numbers and full-band rockers kept the set interesting throughout, and Bill delivered his songs with an upbeat presentation, celebrating the beautiful late summer weather and throwing a playful dig at Penndot for the lousy condition of the always-torn-up stretch of Route 22 between Pittsburgh and Altoona. After seeing his acoustic performance at Johnstown Folkfest a few weeks earlier, this full-band performance gave me a more complete scope of what Bill Deasy’s current musical landscape is about.

Bill Deasy.

Bill Deasy and his band, including Rob James of The Clarks on the left.

Thanks to members from the lighting crew for hooking me up with this shot overlooking the stage and concert grounds as Bill Deasy performed.

Again from above, Bill Deasy and his band.

With the Cathedral and passing trains in the background, the grounds for the Railroaders Museum’s Alive @ Five Concert Series.

Rob James and Bill Deasy.

Again, Bill Deasy.

Once again, Bill Deasy.

Once again, Rob James and Bill Deasy.

One more time, Bill Deasy and his band.

After some familiar-looking Q94 types named Craig and Adam gave away MGD goodies and an acoustic guitar autographed by The Clarks (to the person who did the best job singing a Clarks song; Clarks karaoke if you will), The Clarks delivered an excellent performance, showcasing many of their most popular songs. The Clarks always deliver a happy, upbeat vibe at their shows, and this one was no exception. Singer Scott Blasey, guitarist Rob James, bassist Greg Joseph and drummer Dave Minarek kept the large Railroaders Museum crowd festive with favorites such as "God Save the Snowman," "Cigarette," "Mercury," "Boys Lie," "Hell on Wheels," "Caroline," "Born Too Late," "Better Off Without You," Help Me Out;" and during the encore, the group's 'western Pennsylvania folk classic,' "Penny on the Floor," "Shimmy Low" and "On Saturday." The group also did a song from Scott's new solo album, Travelin' On, called "Church of the Open Highway." This was again a constant party, with beach balls bouncing around the crowd and stage, jubilant fans acknowledging The Clarks' Pittsburgh homebase with rousing "Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go!" chants, and even the occasional crowd surfer or two. Phil Reigh on sound made it all sound clean and clear.

Craig and Adam, giving away MGD goodies and inviting Clarks karaoke contestants to the stage.

Craig and Adam, and a bunch of Clarks future vocalist hopefuls, contending to win an acoustic guitar autographed by The Clarks.

Bassist Greg Joseph of The Clarks.

The Clarks' lead singer, Scott Blasey.

The Clarks.

Drummer Dave Minarek of The Clarks.

Again, Scott Blasey of The Clarks. Can you guess what song he's singing?

Again, Greg Joseph of The Clarks.

Rob James and Scott Blasey of The Clarks.

Again, Scott Blasey of The Clarks.

Scott Blasey of The Clarks, stepping before some adoring fans.

Again, The Clarks.

Guitarist Rob James of The Clarks.

Once again, Scott Blasey of The Clarks.

Again, Dave Minarek of The Clarks.

The audience continues to show their appreciation for The Clarks.

Playing the mandolin during "Penny on the Floor," Rob James of The Clarks.

Once again, The Clarks.

Again, Rob James on mandolin.

One more time, Greg Joseph of The Clarks.

In essence, this was the perfect feelgood closer to the inaugural Alive @ Five Summer Concert Series, with the combination of upbeat, friendly rocking music and great late-summer weather making for an excellent and memorable evening. The concert slate for 2008 is already being put together, and should be announced soon.

THE GRIMM/LIES INC./FEDUP @ THE LOST AND FOUND, ALTOONA 9/14/07

I was very elated to learn the news that local progressive metal force The Grimm was reuniting. The original roster of the group; singer Bob Lee, guitarist Kirk Tonkin, bassist Kent Tonkin and drummer Ron Brode; were putting it back together after a nearly two-year hiatus. The official return of The Grimm was taking place at The Lost and Found, the all-ages venue formerly known as The Lion’s Den in Juniata.

Due to my day job, I had to miss the two openers; FedUP and Ron and Kent’s other project, Lies, Inc. But the moment I escaped the workplace, I tore through town to get to The Lost and Found to catch The Grimm’s comeback set.

I arrived early in the set, only missing a song or two. The group was performing their established set-opener from before, “Enough.” Back in the full swing of things, Bob then beckoned audience members to pluck prizes (mainly feminine hygiene products) from his long-missed “Big Bad Bag O’Stuff.” The Grimm then dug back to the first instrumental the group ever composed, “East of the Sun, West of the Moon.” “Suicide Knob” then brought a brief moshpit to the front of the stage. The Grimm original song repertoire continued with “Black Sheep,” “Flatline Part 2,” “Raise the Line,” “Dead Time,” “Fade” and “Angry & Shirtless;” before a special fusion of members of The Grimm and Lies Inc. – dubbed “Grimm Inc.” – concluded the show with Rage Against the Machine’s “Killing in the Name.” Both Bob and Lies’ J.D. Hicks barked out the vocals, with Kent, Ron and Lies’ Jason “Daxman” Berardi providing the agitated backdrop.

The Grimm sounded strong, and sounded like they had never even gone away. The performance was tight, fiery and confident, and the group’s original songs were performed with the focus and tenacity they were delivered with before the hiatus. It was a stirring performance, and the crowd of old and new Grimm fans roared approval throughout the set.

As said before, a welcome return. New original songs are already in the works, and The Grimm plans to return to the recording studio shortly. Let the new age of Grimm madness begin!

Kent Tonkin and Bob Lee of The Grimm.

Together and back in action again, Bob Lee and Kirk Tonkin of The Grimm.

Kent Tonkin of The Grimm.

Again, The Grimm.

A moshpit ensues as The Grimm’s performance continues.

Ron Brode of The Grimm.

Again, Bob Lee of The Grimm.

Back in action, the Tonkin brothers of The Grimm.

Otto is back! Kirk Tonkin of The Grimm.

Three quarters of The Grimm.

Again, Big Bad Bob of The Grimm.

Grimm Inc! J.D. Hicks of Lies Inc. teams with Bob Lee of The Grimm.

Again, J.D. and Bob.

Some fans take in the spectacle of Grimm Inc.

Jason “Dax” Berardi of Grimm Inc.

Again, Kent Tonkin of The Grimm.

THE MARAUDERS/ROB WALLACE AND THE MESS @ ALDO’S, ALTOONA 9/14/07

After The Grimm’s comeback show ended, I soon walked down the street a half a block to Aldo’s, where The Marauders and friends were whooping it up.

Some of the ‘friends’ were on stage as I arrived, in the form of opening band Rob Wallace and The Mess. Namesake, singer and guitarist Rob Wallace is a Bedford product now living in the Cumberland area, backed by Mark Wigfield on drums and Ryan Wigfield on bass and backing vocals. This band’s flavor was roots-flavored hard rock, suggesting a fusion of the Reverend Horton Heat and the Black Crowes. The group did a number of original songs; the only title I caught during this set being “May the Devil Have Mercy on Your Goddamn Soul,” and the naughy-flavored set-closer “Dirty Girl.” These guys had a rough and rugged, hard-rocking style and sound, and went over well with the Aldo’s crowd. It was a strong local debut for Rob Wallace & the Mess; hopefully they’ll be back.

Ryan Wigfield and Rob Wallace of Rob Wallace and the Mess.

Mark Wigfield and Rob Wallace of Rob Wallace and the Mess.

The Marauders provided the nightcap, providing their reliable and lively brand of punk-infused roots rock and rockabilly. Singer/guitarist Ben Dumm, upright bassist/singer Chris Lawson and drummer/singer Abe Weber kept the energy level riding at a constant high with original songs such as “Oh My My,” “Hell on High Heels,” “Jonny Don’t Like It (When You Call Him Elvis),” “My Revolver,” “Rhythm Fix,” “She Put a Curse on Me,” “New Tattoo,” “Kill Pop Radio,” “Alibi” and more. Of course, the group did their new Brian Setzer-penned anthem “We Are the Marauders;” introduced at least one new song called “Radio,” and threw in select covers of the Stray Cats’ “Stray Cat Strut” and the night-ending spin on the Misfits’ “Astrozombies.” The set clicked along at a constant fast pace, and throngs of fans grooved, danced and cheered in front of the stage as The Marauders rocked the house. It was a typically strong Marauders party, and appropriately slammed the lid on the night.

Fans crowd the front of the stage as the Marauders get down to rockin’ and rollin.’

Ben Dumm of the Marauders.

Chris Lawson of the Marauders.

Again, Marauders and fans.

Some fans and friends join the Marauders on stage.

Whoopin’ it up with the Marauders and their fans.

It’s rowdy times with Chris Lawson of the Marauders and some fans and friends.

The party continues with the Marauders.

MY TURNING POINT @ THE OSCEOLA HOTEL, OSCEOLA MILLS 9/15/07

It was a Friday night back in the early 90’s when I ventured up the hill to Osceola Mills, to see a young hard-hitting band called Sinking. I had been contacted by the band and invited to come check out one of their shows, and this night fit my schedule, so I made the roadtrip. I remember that night; as I was only one of about six people who showed up to see the group, and also because it was the first time I officially met and saw future Blue Skye Mourning/Stept On/Wake Up Screaming drummer (and future Coconuts Music and Movies/Q94 co-worker) Jim Bagrosky.

Of course, like many other local music fans, I followed Jim’s career through Blue Skye Mourning, Stept On and Wake Up Screaming. Then Jim wanted to bring some of his own musical ideas to fruition. So he stepped out from behind the drum kit, took up guitar and singing, and formed his own band project, My Turning Point. The project took a couple of years to come together, and underwent some initial growing pains as band members exited and had to be replaced. But eventually, the present lineup of Jim on vocals and guitar, former Earational guitarist Chris Bellochio, bassist Todd Burns and drummer John Placer settled into place, and the group was playing their first show with this roster this night…at the place where I first saw Jim perform all those years ago, the Osceola Hotel. I figured this was the appropriate place to get my first look at Jim’s current project.

Although not heavily packed, the Osceola Hotel had a decent-sized crowd of locals and friends on hand as I arrived early during My Turning Point’s second set. The group mixed some of their hard-hitting, dark-flavored original songs from their debut album, Seclusion Serves Me Well, with rocking favorites from the 90's to present. This set featured the original tunes “Stop” and “in Your Head,” as well as numbers from Rage Against the Machine, Velvet Revolver, Stone Temple Pilots, Seven Mary Three, Billy Idol, Local H and more.

During the nightcap set, My Turning Point did songs from their CD such as “Broken Man” and “Found My Way.” They also rocked with tunes from Seether, Alice In Chains, Danzig, Buckcherry and more. Chris closed out the night with a guitar rendition of “The Star Spangled Banner.”

Jim did a respectable job as frontman, displaying an expressive and intense vocal style, and gaining confidence as he went along. At one point, Jim reverted back to his former role, stepping back in behind the drum kit while Chris sang lead on Danzig's "Mother." This line-up was pretty together overall, and kept the crowd content and rocking for the duration.

It was a good start for this edition of My Turning Point, and the group appears to be well on its way. Keep an eye out on Altoona and State College area stages for this band in the near future.

My Turning Point.

Jim Bagrosky of My Turning Point.

John Placer of My Turning Point.

Again, Jim Bagrosky of My Turning Point.

Again, My Turning Point.

Taking a moment to thank his wife, Jim Bagrosky of My Turning Point.

Temporarily returning to his old ways behind the drum kit, Jim Bagrosky of My Turning Point.

Chris Bellocchio of My Turning Point.

My Turning Point and some fans.

Once again, Jim Bagrosky of My Turning Point.

Todd Burns of My Turning Point.

Again, John Placer of My Turning Point.

Again, Todd Burns of My Turning Point.

One more time, Jim Bagrosky of My Turning Point.

INDIANA BLUES FESTIVAL, INDIANA 9/16/07

Oh, how a planned weekend can change! For a while, this looked like it would be an Americana music weekend for me, as a big roots music/Americana music hoedown had initially been slated to take place at the Clearfield County Fairgrounds on Saturday, and a country jamboree was being put together in Huntingdon on Sunday. However, both events fell through and were cancelled or postponed, leaving the slate clear for me to go check out something else. The ultimate beneficiary was the second annual Indiana Blues Festival in downtown Indiana. I had been told about this event by Four Day Crawl guitarist/singer Jimmy Roach, and decided to do the roadtrip to have a look.

It didn’t take long to find this festival, happening along N. 7th Street in downtown Indiana. I drove past the scene, saw the crowd and heard the blues, before quickly parking my car along the street, grabbing my folding chair and making my way to the source of the music. Several acts had already performed prior to my arrival, including Hiram & Robin, the Fatback Blues Band and Jeff Kelley.

I arrived during the performance of western PA’s Blu Razor. Four members strong, Blu Razor performed a mix of blues, classic rock and soul. Singer/lead guitarist Zach Tyler, singer/bassist Barry Rowe, rhythm guitarist/singer Emil Herby and drummer Scott Griedel did tasteful and often dazzling work on numbers such as ZZ Top’s “Fool for Your Stockings,” Lynyrd Skynyrd’s ever-popular “Sweet Home Alabama” (where they welcomed a young guest named Mike to help out on guitar), B.B. King’s “How Blue Can You Get,” Jimi Hendrix’s “Little Wing,” Memphis Slim’s “Every Day I Have the Blues,” and to close the set, Marvin Gaye’s “Let’s Get It On.” These guys were tight and solid; dazzling on their instruments and giving a soulful, tasteful performance.

Blu Razor, performing at the Indiana Blues Festival.

Emil Herby of Blu Razor.

Again, Emil Herby of Blu Razor.

Barry Rowe of Blu Razor.

Zach Tyler of Blu Razor.

Again, Zach Tyler of Blu Razor.

With young guest guitar player Mike helping out, Blu Razor.

Yet again, Zach Tyler of Blu Razor.

Guest Mike with Zach Tyler of Blu Razor.

Again, Mike and Zach.

More blues with Blu Razor.

Once more, Zach Tyler of Blu Razor.

Making the blues sound good this day, sound engineer Michael Feight.

Closing the day was the aforementioned Four Day Crawl. From Indiana, this band spans two generations of musicians, with Jimmy Roach on lead vocals, guitar and harmonica, and his son, Joe Roach, on guitar and vocals; and Mike Miller on guitar and lead vocals, and his son, Matt Miller, on bass and vocals. Justin Seger plays drums. Four Day Crawl launched a powerful set of electric blues, starting with Buddy Guy’s “Messin’ with the Kid,” and continuing with Luther Dixon’s “Big Boss Man,” “Rock Me Baby,” Jimmy Rogers’ “Who’s Loving You Tonight,” Tom Larsen’s “Lookin’ for Trouble,” Bobby Troup’s “Route 66,” plus numbers from Freddie King, Cream and more. All five of these guys were skilled on their instruments, and their instrumental fireworks were incredible, with all three guitarists frequently sharing and swapping the spotlight to unleash passionate solos. Having been blown away by Jimmy’s guitar skills and blues howl years ago in Bitter Route, I was happy to see that this guy still delivers the goods on all fronts, and the rest of his bandmates did likewise! Very good stuff!

Here is footage from Four Day Crawl’s performance:

http://www.rockpage.net/users/jprice/video/MOV00142.MPG

Four Day Crawl kicks off their performance at the Indiana Blues Festival.

Mike Miller of Four Day Crawl.

Mike Miller and Jimmy Roach of Four Day Crawl.

Joe Roach of Four Day Crawl.

Matt Miller and Joe Roach of Four Day Crawl.

Jimmy Roach of Four Day Crawl.

Again, Jimmy Roach of Four Day Crawl.

Belting out some voice, Jimmy Roach of Four Day Crawl.

Again, Mike Miller and Jimmy Roach of Four Day Crawl.

Blowing some harmonica, Jimmy Roach of Four Day Crawl.

Again, Mike Miller of Four Day Crawl.

In the heat of a guitar solo, Jimmy Roach.

Justin Seger of Four Day Crawl.

Again, Joe Roach of Four Day Crawl.

In the heat of a guitar solo, Joe Roach.

Once again, Jimmy Roach of Four Day Crawl.

Once again, Joe Roach of Four Day Crawl.

One more time, Four Day Crawl.

From what I got to witness, it was very good day of blues in downtown Indiana. Jimmy had informed me that this event had run into some financial difficulty, but that they were determined to keep it going. Hopefully the small success of this day was enough to encourage the organizers to continue and grow the Indiana Blues Festival, so there will be a sequel next year.

TIL DECEMBER @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 9/16/07

This night marked an end of an era on Altoona stages, the final Altoona performance of popular Wellsboro-based hard rockers Til December. I headed to Pellegrine’s to witness Til December’s Altoona swan song.

7th Gear opened the evening and was already finished by the time I arrived; Til December was ready to start their first of two sets. Appropriately enough, singer Matt “Goody” Goodreau, guitarist Jeremy Edge, bassist Jamie Morral and drummer Tony Esposito kicked off the set with their song “Til December,” and continued with a mix of original songs, current and classic rocking favorites. They performed “Sharks” from the Hollow CD, followed by that album’s title track. The group then turned up the party with several favorites, including “sweet Home Alabama,” “Pour Some sugar on Me” and Survivor’s “Eye of the Tiger.” Back to the original catalog for another song from Hollow, “Stages,” before answering audience demands and digging out an earlier original favorite, the rowdy “Party in the Parking Lot.” The party continued with Joan Jett’s “I Love Rock & Roll” and the Beastie Boys’ “Fight for Your Right (to Party)” to close the set.

Til December was sounding in good form, as they made this last Altoona performance count for their fans. The rhythms were bold, weighty and crunchy; but the vibe was festive and rowdy, more a celebration of the good times this band brought to Pelly’s stage for the past several years rather than a lament of their retirement.

The final Til December set on an Altoona stage kicked off with Cheap Trick’s “I Want You to Want Me,” and featured more original songs and favorites. The group broke out songs from their final CD, Frustrated, such as “Sorry,” “Falling” and “Wasted Years.” Bassman Jamie barked the Anselmo vocals to Pantera’s “Walk” one more time on an Altoona stage. Goody and Jeremy slowed things down for a two-man acoustic rendition of Tool’s “Sober.” And lastly, to close out their tenure on Pellegrine’s stage, Til December broke out for one final time – the original song that has become a crowd chant at other bands’ gigs – the ever-popular, ever-risque…“Seatbelt!”

This show convincingly slammed the lid on Til December/Backstreet Law’s successful run, which took the band across the country, and included stints on the Vans Warped Tour and a performance at the 2003 Rolling Rock Town Fair. It also closed out the career to the most dominant “crowd magnet” band on Altoona area stages in the past five years. I give this group all the credit in the world…They paid their dues for a long time before achieving the success they finally did on the state’s stages. I remember this band’s earliest days, when they played for crickets at Aldo’s and new Sebastiano’s. They left the state for a while, as they were enjoying more success in southern states than in their own state. When they returned a few years ago, it took some months before crowds warmed up to their unique hard-hitting style of party. But they climbed to the top of regional popularity, and earned their notoriety. Their local appearances had become so commonplace that it was easy to take Til December for granted. But tonight, they signed off from Altoona stages. Here’s wishing all four members the best luck in their future endeavors.

Peering between ladies, Jamie Morral of Til December.

Matt “Goody” Goodreau of Til December.

Again, Goody of Til December.

Again, Jamie Morral of Til December.

Jeremy Edge of Til December.

Again, Jeremy Edge of Til December.

Jeremy and Goody of Til December.

Once again, Jeremy Edge of Til December.

Not quite sure what this guy’s story was, but he got to sing one with Til December.

Pelly’s security man Forrest and Goody of Til December share a unique salute.

Goody of Til December and a partying Pelly’s crowd.

Goody salutes the Pelly’s fans one final time.

Til December brought Yours Truly onstage for one final group shot. Photo taken by Eric Wertz.

JP’s HAIKU

End of an era
Til December says farewell
One more time – “SEAT-BELT!”

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Saturday Dec 19, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1