· The Final Cut
4TH OF JULY WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 7/9/07
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Wednesday Nov 14, 2007 

4TH OF JULY WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 7/9/07

J.P. MILLS’ ALL STAR ROCK BALL @ THE SALOON, STATE COLLEGE 7/3/07

My 4th of July celebration kicked off in Happy Valley, at a special event staged by J.P. Mills Entertainment and The Saloon. To mark 30 years of entertainment at The Saloon, the "All Star Rock Ball" was organized, a jam night celebration featuring musicians who have graced the venue's stage during that 30-year history. That occasion, combined with the timing of Independence Eve, resulted in a jam-packed crowd at The Saloon as I arrived.

The Saloon's usual Tuesday night entertainer, J.P. Mills, emceed the event. It happened as advertised, as a number of musicians from various bands that have played The Saloon platooned of and off the stage to jam together on common crowd-pleaser song favorites. Names involved included Chad Caprio (FoXXy), Matt Kyle (ex-Emily's Toybox), Brad Fisher (Mr. Hand, ex-Clove), John "JT Blues" Thompson (Body & Soul, Maxwell Strait), Brian Lubrecht (Mr. Hand, ex-Sona), Alec Russo (ex-Sona), Zippy (Mr. Hand), George Powell and more. For not normally playing together and being unrehearsed, these musicians sounded pretty smooth overall, and kept the vibe exciting as they played a wide range of favorites from Oasis, Counting Crows, Green Day, Buck Cherry, Tom Petty, Big & Rich, Proclaimers, Dave Matthews Band, john Mellencamp, Mr. Big, Journey, Johnny Cash, Stevie Wonder, Black Crowes, Lustra, Lynyrd Skynyrd and more.

The tunes and party atmosphere were constant, and with a Captain Morgan promotion going on, lots of Captain was flowing freely around the room and freebies were being given away. In all, it was a fun jam session onstage, as well as a slopped-up, drunken, Penn State good time.

J.P. Mills (left), Alec Russo, George Powell (behind the kit) and former Emily's Toybox bassman Matt Kyle bring the party during the All Star Rock Ball.

J.P. Mills belts it out during the All Star Rock Ball.

John "JT Blues" Thompson adds some keyboard sparks to the night's proceedings.

Again, J.P., Alec and Matt.

J.P. Mills and Chad Caprio.

The All Star Rock Ball continues.

Again, John "JT Blues" Thompson.

Brad Fisher takes the stage during the All Star Rock Ball.

A good-sized crowd enjoys the musical festivities during the All Star Rock Ball.

Mr. Hand's Zippy behind the kit for the musical fireworks.

Once again, show organizer, singer and master of ceremonies, J.P. Mills.

Once again, Alec Russo.

Again, Brad Fisher.

Again, Chad Caprio.

More excitement from the All Star Rock Ball.

Mr. Hand/ex-Sona frontman Brian Lubrecht joins the party.

Once again, Brian Lubrecht.

SQUARE ONE/THE BRITISH INVASION @ LAKEMONT PARK, ALTOONA 7/4/07

I decided to break with my 4th of July tradition of the past few years, which was to journey to a friend's parents' residence in Tipton, situated close to Delgrosso's Amusement Park, and walk to the park for their always-huge 4th fireworks display. This year, with an appealing musical slate leading up to their fireworks, I decided to take in Lakemont Park's All-American 4th of July celebration.

It wasn't good fireworks weather as I arrived at Lakemont Park around 4:30, as a steady drizzle was falling on the park. Fortunately, the Square One camp allowed me to set up my folding chair under their tent, so I could stay dry during the duration of the group's performance. Under way in their last set, singer/guitarist Don Osborn, drummer Jeff Crownover and new bassist Bill Smith entertained the audience with their selection of classic rock from the 60's and 70's, doing numbers from Rare Earth, the Rolling Stones, Spirit, Free, the Beatles, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Doobie Brothers and more. Highlights during the remainder of their set that I witnessed included the group's trademark rendition of "Cost of Freedom" into "Ohio" with Don’s son, Shawn, assisting on guitar and vocals, and the set-ending singalong version of the Doors' "Roadhouse Blues."

Here’s some rough video from Square One’s performance, with guest Shawn Osborn:

http://www.rockpage.net/users/jprice/video/MOV09761.MPG

Square One, celebrating Lakemont Park's All American 4th of July.

Square One's new bass player and singer, Bill Smith.

Don Osborn of Square One.

Jeff Crownover of Square One.

Again, Don Osborn of Square One.

Again, Jeff Crownover of Square One.

Son and father; Shawn Osborn (Born & the Beanstalk) with Don Osborn of Square One.

Again, Square One with guest Shawn Osborn.

The weather did appear to impact the crowd, as Lakemont Park didn’t appear especially busy on this 4th of July. The moisture brought about another nuisance, as there was an abundance of gnats buzzing around; I had to be careful while eating, because any black specks appearing on my food were not pepper!

Shortly after 6 PM, Lakemont Park’s All American 4th of July took a decidedly not-so-all-American turn, with musical entertainment by the final band of the day…The British Invasion! This day comprised of singer Bob Gates, guitarist Rick Wertz, keyboardist/rhythm guitarist Harold Hayford, bassist Kent Tonkin and drummer Beau Saller; The British Invasion kicked off their first set with the most famous British band of all time, the Beatles, doing “Magical Mystery Tour,” “With a Little Help from My Friends” (with Beau singing lead) and “Strawberry Fields.” The group continued through their set, showcasing tunes from other famous Brits such as Rod Stewart, Uriah Heep, Led Zeppelin, Free, the Rolling Stones, the Kinks, Badfinger and the Who. I was again impressed by this band’s attention to detail and ability to capture the sounds and arrangements of the source material, from Rick’s various guitar textures to Harold’s keyboard work on the set-closing rendition of The Who’s “Won’t Get Fooled Again.”

Although the rain had tapered off for a little while, a downpour erupted towards the end of the intermission, as night descended upon Lakemont Park. It was hoped that this rain outburst would pass quickly, so that the fireworks could take place. The British Invasion resumed the music while much of the audience stood under tents and pavilions, opening with Deep Purple’s “Highway Star.” The group continued to impress with their impeccable accuracy on a wide and challenging slate of British rock classics, including Pink Floyd’s “Time,” the David Bowie double-shot of “Fame” and “Suffragette City,” more Deep Purple with the double-shot of “Strange Kind of Woman” and “Hush,” the Moody Blues double-shot of “The Story in Your Eyes” and “Nights in White Satin,” and Led Zeppelin’s “Kashmir.” By this point, it was approaching 9 PM, and the scheduled start time for the fireworks. The group welcomed guest Shawn Osborn up to the stage to sing lead on the Zombies’ “Time of the Season,” but the song was cut short when the fireworks display started partway into the song. The music was suspended as the fireworks lit up the night sky. After they were completed, the British Invasion and their guest did a second take on “Time of the Season,” before the group closed out the night with the Beatles’ “I Wanna Hold Your Hand.”

While the selection of a British-themed band to perform on an American holiday was a bit strange, The British Invasion represented well, and received a warm response from the Lakemont Park audience. And rain notwithstanding, it was an enjoyable way to spend the 4th.

The British Invasion, during Lakemont Park's All American 4th of July?

Bob Gates of The British Invasion.

Kent Tonkin of The British Invasion.

Harold Hayford of The British Invasion.

Again, Harold Hayford of The British Invasion.

Rick Wertz of The British Invasion.

Once again, The British Invasion.

More British Invasion.

Night arrives as The British Invasion continues their performance.

Fireworks erupt in midsong as The British Invasion performs.

More fireworks shoot overhead as The British Invasion play.

For your viewing pleasure above, Lakemont Park's fireworks display.

After the fireworks ended, guest Shawn Osborn with Harold Hayford of The British Invasion.

Again, Harold Hayford of The British Invasion.

Shawn Osborn and The British Invasion. Shawn sang lead for the group at a show at Burgi's Roundhouse earlier in the year.

Once again, Shawn Osborn and The British Invasion.

ECHOES @ THE COSMOPOLITAN, ALTOONA 7/6/07

After busting some serious tail late into the evening at the radio station and getting a late start, I headed to the Cosmopolitan (formerly the Grouse’s Nest) at the Altoona Ramada to get updated on Echoes. I first saw this band last fall at Ebensburg’s Potatofest; I was curious to see how they performed in conditions other than 40-plus degrees, wind, rain and a ‘Unicorn Man’ dancing in front of the stage…

I arrived just before the start of their nightcap set, and a mid-sized crowd was in place to enjoy Echoes' blend of 60's, 70's and 80's classics. Singer Marianne Kokus, keyboardist/singer Mike Kokus, guitarist/singer Nick Kokus, bassist Jeremy Colbert, drummer Seth Reighard and keyboardist/percussionist/singer Ryan Skiles started back into the music with "La Bamba," with Ryan singing lead. Ryan continued to sing on renditions of Dion's "Runaround Sue," The Knack's "My Sharona" and Steppenwolf's "Magic Carpet Ride." Marianne then took over lead singing duties for the next five songs; Pat Benatar's "Hit Me with Your Best Shot," Three Dog Night/Hoyt Axton's "Joy to the World," Mamas & Papas' "California Dreamin,'" and the Creedence double-shot of "Down on the Corner" and "Proud Mary." It was then Nick's turn to sing, and he fronted the group on Eric Clapton's "Wonderful Tonight," Jimmy Buffett's "Margaritaville" (with guest Mike Skiles helping out on vocals) and "Cheeseburger in Paradise," and Van Morrison's "Brown Eyed Girl," which Nick sent out as a birthday dedication to his wife, Michelle, to close out the night.

As I experienced when I saw Echoes at Potatofest, the group again delivered a pleasant and bright presentation, solid musicianship and nice vocal harmonies. This group showed enthusiasm during the entire set; and you could tell that they were enjoying their time making music and pleasing the audience. The audience appreciated their efforts, and the group succeeded in drawing some folks onto the dance floor a few times along the way.

It was good to see this young band expanding their range and taking their bright sound to new stages; based on this showing at the Cosmopolitan, the group is quickly building a solid Altoona area fan base, and one that should continue to grow with more shows.

Echoes, rocking and rolling at the Cosmopolitan.

Nick Kokus of Echoes.

Again, Echoes.

Nick and Marianne Kokus of Echoes.

One more time, Echoes.

10TH ANNUAL CANALFEST/RAILFEST, CUMBERLAND, MD 7/7/07

In the interest of serving the Rockpagers who reside in the Cumberland area, we have you covered. This day, I did the roadtrip south of the border.err.state line to take in some of this year's 10th annual Canalfest/Railfest, held at the Canal Place Heritage Area in downtown Cumberland.

It was sunny and hot during the mid afternoon as I arrived. I strolled through the initial booths and to the food area, where I grabbed a bite to eat and proceeded to the entertainment stage, where the Falling Run Bluegrass Band was under way. A quintet from Morgantown, West Virginia, the Falling Run Bluegrass Band did a variety of traditional bluegrass tunes, fiddle numbers, old-time country and more; fielding audience requests along the way. The group did a lot of Bill Monroe numbers, including "Wheel Hoss," "Kentucky Waltz," "Out in the Cold World," "Sitting Alone in the Moonlight," "Toy Heart" and "Gold Rush." The group also did Flatt & Scruggs selections such as "Don't This Road Look Rough and Rocky" and "Lost All My Money but a Two-Dollar Bill," "Orange Blossom Special" and more. This group was good and accomplished on their instruments and sang well; and their presentation was pleasant, laid-back and comfortable, giving the feeling of watching friends play bluegrass music on the back porch.

The Falling Run Bluegrass Band.

Again, the Falling Run Bluegrass Band.

A large seated audience takes in the performance of the Falling Run Bluegrass Band.

Once again, the Falling Run Bluegrass Band.

Another look at the audience and the Falling Run Bluegrass Band.

The Western Maryland Scenic Railroad's steam engine passes behind the stage as the Falling Run Bluegrass Band performs.

A closer look at the steam locomotive.

I stuck around into the early evening to catch part of the next group scheduled to perform, local favorites The Chinese Bandits. The group was about 55 minutes late in starting, though, due to complications arising with the headlining entertainers performing later on, The Contours and The Zodiacs. But eventually, the Bandits were ready to go, and with a packed festival grounds to watch them. Four members strong, the Chinese Bandits did a selection of vintage rock'n'roll favorites spanning the 50's through early 70's. The group opened with Frankie Ford's "Scenic Cruise," and continued with songs from Roy Orbison, Dion, The Crests, Bobby Lewis, the Hollies, the Drifters, Bobby Day and more. These guys were good as musicians and singers; and several times the guitarist and keyboard player took the spotlight with some dazzling solo displays.

With two more destinations on my schedule to get to on this busy Saturday night, I departed the Chinese Bandits and Canalfest about 40 minutes into the band's performance. But Cumberland's annual Canalfest was a good time, and another summertime festival I will keep in mind to check out again in years to come.

A couple dances as The Chinese Bandits perform.

The keyboard player for the Chinese Bandits, showing off some harmonica skills.

Again, the Chinese Bandits.

More Chinese Bandits.

A large crowd takes in The Chinese Bandits' performance.

Once again, the Chinese Bandits.

One more time, the audience and the Chinese Bandits.

This guitar sculpture sits outside the shops at Cumberland's Canal Park.

THE AMPLIFIED HEET @ CAMBRIA SUMMIT ABATE POKER RUN POST PARTY, KOOK’S KAMP near CHEST SPRINGS 7/7/07

This was a rare Saturday night that found me not heading to a bar or nightspot to see a band. Instead, from Cumberland, I headed back to Altoona and then up the hill to Kook’s Kamp near Chest Springs, where Cambria Summit ABATE was staging the post-party from their benefit poker run earlier in the day. The Amplified Heet was providing the tunes.

The word when I arrived at Kook's Kamp was that the day's ride was good one, with a lot of riders taking part. There was still food left, so I made a V-line to the food area to load up, before heading to sit on a big log in front of the wagon stage, where The Amplified Heet was into their final set of the evening. Guitarist Jules Bianchini, singer/harmonica man Adam Brown, bassist Danny Potter and drummer Tyke Dodson bludgeoned and blasted their way through a selection of classic rocking gems, including a few surprises along the way. The group stormed their way through workout renditions of the Rolling Stones' "Sympathy for the Devil," The Band's "Up on Cripple Creek," Neil Young's "Rockin' in the Free World," Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Sweet Home Alabama," the Black Crowes' "Jealous Again" and more. As the group started into Grand Funk Railroad's "Some Kind of Wonderful," a couple began dancing in the stagefront lawn. The group continued to pick up the intensity as they jammed along, you could tell these guys were feeling it! The Heet then broke out a surprise I wasn't expecting, a rendition of Cream's "Tales of Brave Ulysses!" Then the finale, as the group went for broke and threw caution to the wind on a wild rendition of Canned Heat's "Going Up the Country;" this jam became so heated that Adam knocked his mic off the stage, and the jam continued with mic dangling in front of the wagon!

This was a fun performance, with The Amplified Heet stepping up the energy as they went along; yet never taking themselves too seriously, and throwing in humorous tidbits along the way. The folks at Kook's Kamp seemed to enjoy it, with more people making their way up to the front of the stage to dance or just groove along.

Afterward, as everybody chilled and relaxed after the music onstage ended, somebody cranked up The Marauders' CD on a car stereo - very cool!

Even though the clock was passing 1 AM at this point, I still had yet another party to attend in Altoona, so I departed Kook's Kamp. But I had a good time while I was here, and the folks at Cambria Summit ABATE were deeply appreciative of The Amplified Heet for donating their time and talents to entertain the riders and help out the cause, as proceeds from this day's events benefited Andy Kirsch and Korrine Ellis, two area children battling cancer.

The Amplified Heet jams at Kook's Kamp.

Again, The Amplified Heet.

Jules Bianchini of The Amplified Heet.

Adam Brown of The Amplified Heet.

Danny Potter of The Amplified Heet.

Tyke Dodson of The Amplified Heet.

Again, Jules Bianchini of The Amplified Heet.

In the heat of the night-ending jam version of "Going Up the Country," The Amplified Heet.

RAILFEST @ RAILROADERS MEMORIAL MUSEUM, ALTOONA 7/8/07

The previous day, I had checked out Cumberland's Canalfest; today I would head to Altoona's Railroaders Memorial Museum to check out the final day of the annual Railfest.

Along with the Railfest displays, vendors, food and other railroad-themed features, there was railroad music, provided by acoustic performer Don Chappell. Playing guitar and singing, Don did a selection of various railroad folk songs, including a lot of regional and lesser-known songs. Don shared a lot of train trivia, and told stories and railroad history in between songs. Some of the songs I saw Don perform as I browsed in and around the Museum yard included "Santa Fe All the Way," "Wabash Cannonball," "The Big Locomotive," "Old '97," "Freight Train," "Casey Jones" (the old traditional train song, not the Grateful Dead favorite), "Coal Train" and more.

Don was musically on track (pun intended), and his presentation was relaxed, fun and informative as well. It made a good soundtrack for browsing at the many features at the Museum's Railfest.

Don Chappell at Railfest.

Again, Don Chappell.

On the big Railroaders Museum stage, Don Chappell and a guest sax player at Railfest.

The passenger train excursion run arrives back in Altoona during Railfest.

BAD DAZE @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 7/8/07

My weekend concluded, as it often does, at Pellegrine's, where Bad Daze was slamming the exclamation point on a Sunday night.

I arrived near the end of the first set, entering as the group closed out the set with Seether's "Remedy" and Disturbed's "Stupified." It was an average Sunday night crowd; not too busy and not too empty, and Bad Daze seemed to have a few people up and dancing in the early going.

In my normal habit of shifting attention between the band room and Guv'nor Jesse's DVD of the week in the room back by the door, I noted Bad Daze keeping the party going in the second set with numbers from Rob Zombie, Saliva, AC/DC, Puddle of Mudd, Wheatus, Nickelback, Billy Idol, some hip hop and more. The dance floor action remained constant, and a good party was under way.

Singer Rob Carolus, guitarist Kenny Murdick, bassist Paul Rainey and drummer Randy Wilson kept it lively during the nightcap set as well; kicking off with Rage Against the Machine's "Killing in the Name," and continuing with tunes from Eminem, Godsmack, Staind, Fallout Boy, Jimmy Eats World, Buckcherry, Weezer and Def Leppard. At least a few times, several ladies adorned the stage with their dancing and bouncing abilities, much to the delight of the male members of the audience. And the band was also presented with a special set of Bad Daze briefs.

It all added up to a good time to send another weekend into the books...

BadDazeRob displays the new product line of Bad Daze briefs.

Two ladies look on as Bad Daze delivers the party.

Kenny "Old Skool" Murdick of Bad Daze.

Rob Carolus and Kenny Murdick of Bad Daze.

Again, Old Skool of Bad Daze.

Rob Carolus of Bad Daze sings to the crowd.

Two ladies bust some dance moves onstage as Bad Daze performs.

The onstage dance action continues.

Once again, Kenny Murdick of Bad Daze.

Surfing with the alien, Rob Carolus of Bad Daze.

Bouncing ladies and Bad Daze.

More bouncing ladies and Bad Daze.

Another Old Skool pose...

Randy Wilson of Bad Daze.

One more time, Kenny Murdick of Bad Daze. No pastries were harmed...

Rob Carolus of Bad Daze, entertaining Guv'nor Jesse and other fans.

JP’S HAIKU

ABATE post party
Amplified Heet pulled all stops
Ignited Kook's Kamp

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Saturday Dec 19, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1