· The Final Cut
WEEKEND RECAP 6/18/07
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Wednesday Sep 19, 2007 

WEEKEND RECAP 6/18/07

PAT McGINNIS & FRIENDS @ AL'S TAVERN, ALTOONA 6/14/07

After putting in a late night at the workplace, my gameplan was to head to Al's Tavern to enjoy some good food and take in Grade E's semi-monthly performance.

As it turned out, only half of that gameplan was accurate; I did enjoy some Al's food this night. But somehow, I had my weeks wrong, and Grade E wasn't performing this night. Instead, it was an acoustic jam session of sorts, hosted by Pat McGinnis. As I arrived, Pat and longtime local favorite Chuck Knepper were dueting on James Taylor's "Don't Let Me Be Lonely Tonight," before taking a brief intermission.

Besides Chuck, two guest musicians from Happy Valley were taking part in the night's musicmaking; Rustlanders singer and guitarist Jason McIntyre and singer Natalie Berrena (of JR & Natalie fame). Natalie joined Pat to start the final set, as the pair did Fleetwood Mac's "Landslide." Jason then joined Pat for the duration of the set, and the duo performed renditions of Willie Nelson's "Mamas Don't Let Their Babies Grow Up to Be Cowboys," Delb ert McClinton's "Two More Bottles of Wine," the Rolling Stones' "Dead Flowers," The Band's "The Weight," Neil Young's "Helpless" and more.

The performances sounded good, with Pat and his guests harmonizing well on vocals, and blending well on their instruments. The song selection was varied and interesting as well. The small Al's Tavern audience enjoyed it, including a small contingent of travelers from Norway who happened to be in the area.

So while it wasn't the music I was expecting, Pat McGinnis and friends still provided good musical accompaniment to enjoy some tasty Al's Tavern vittles with!

SPITSHINE @ 4D’S LOUNGE, ALTOONA 6/15/07

Since I had missed their official Altoona debut at the 4D's in early March, I had Spitshine's return performance at the 4D's Lounge marked in on my calendar, and arrived early so I could catch the show in its entirety.

The Dees was nearly empty as singer/rhythm guitarist Bryan Harmony, lead guitarist Larry Werner, bassist Shane Stoneback and new drummer Karras Johnson opened their first set with Green Day's "American Idiot," and fired directly into Soft Cell's "Tainted Love." The group proceeded to deliver a high-energy mixture of rock from the 70's to present; this set featuring songs from Live, Billy Joel, Queen, the Rolling Stones, Georgia Satellites, Jimmy Eats World, U2 and more. Although there weren't many folks in the house at this point, a bachelorette party arrived midway through the set, and Bryan brought the bachelorette on stage to dance along during Georgia Satellites' "Keep Your Hands to Yourself."

This was the first time I had seen this Bethlehem-based group since Karras took over behind the drums. He brings a sharp and funkier drumming style to Spitshine's already exciting presentation. Bryan demonstrated his skills as the fiery and flambuoyant frontman early and often, and Larry dazzled with crisp bursts of lead guitar along the way.

Spitshine commenced their second set in the Van Halen vein, teasing the intro to "Everybody Wants Some" before veering into "Panama." The group then did Billy Idol's "White Wedding," before honoring audience requests for Alice In Chain's "Man in the Box" and Buckcherry's "Crazy Bitch." For the first time in the show, Shane sang lead on Green Day's "Basketcase," and Spitshine continued to escalate the party with numbers from Bryan Adams, Sublime, Sugar Ray and Blur. Bryan began pulling folks up onto the dance floor as Shane sang another one, James' "Laid," which veered into the Beatles' "Twist and Shout" and back. In similar style, the group also paired together Violent Femmes' "Blister in the Sun" and the Steve Miller Band's "The Joker;" before ending the second set with Bon Jovi's "You Give Love a Bad Name."

While nowhere close to full, the 4D's now had at least a few more people, at least enough to constitute an audience for Spitshine to get excited about. This accumulated audience was beginning to warm up and get their beer buzz on; I observed a table of ladies in front of me, amusing themselves during the intermssion by doing a folded paper triangular football field goal contest.

Dancers immediately filled the floor as Spitshine started their final set with Lit's "My Own Worst Enemy." The dance action remained constant as the group did songs from Green Day, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Sublime, Blind Melon, Kiss, Doors, Pearl Jam, Pink Floyd and more. As they were still trying to win a fan base in a new room, Spitshine had avoided doing any of their own songs so far to concentrate on getting the Dees audience up and dancing; but the group did finally break out one of their own tunes late in the set, the hard-driving "I-H8-U." Spitshine then finished out the night with a slow number, Skid Row's "I Remember You."

It was at least a small step forward in Spitshine's quest to conquer the Altoona market. Although the crowd never became huge, they seemed to enjoy this show and showed the group some dance floor respect in the evening's latter stages. Hopefully the group can continue to expand their local fan base with future 4D's visits.

Spitshine tries to jumpstart the Friday night party at the 4D’s Lounge.

Bryan Harmony of Spitshine.

Shane Stoneback of Spitshine.

Bryan Harmony and Shane Stoneback of Spitshine.

Charming the female fans, Bryan Harmony of Spitshine.

A wayward lady joins Larry Werner and Bryan Harmony of Spitshine onstage.

Larry Werner of Spitshine.

Again, Larry Werner of Spitshine.

Cranking out a solo, Larry Werner of Spitshine.

New drummer Karras Johnson of Spitshine.

Bryan Harmony and Shane Stoneback of Spitshine.

Spitshine succeeds in pulling some people onto the 4D’s dance floor.

Again, Bryan Harmony of Spitshine.

Once again, Larry Werner of Spitshine.

More Spitshine.

Yet again, Larry Werner of Spitshine.

More Larry Werner of Spitshine.

One more time, Spitshine.

TONY MOLLICK PROJECT @ Q94 HARLEY DAVIDSON GIVEAWAY, BURGI’S BACK NINE, ALTOONA 6/16/07

As most folks already know, my springtime becomes very busy, as my workplace, Q94, has given away a Harley-Davidson motorcycle each year for the past decade. The contest has grown bigger and busier each year; and culminates in the final giveaway event.

After two months of hot and heavy on-air qualifying, sponsor drawings and live remote broadcasts to accumulate 947 qualifiers, the day of decision had arrived! Q94 presented the tenth annual Harley-Davidson Giveaway at Burgi's Back Nine in Greenwood. It was another unforgettable day of fun and excitement. Cutting to the chase, the eventual winner of the Harley through the process of qualifier elimination rounds was Mike Friedenberger of Altoona, who won a shiny red Harley-Davidson Road King.

Before and after the giveaway, there was musical entertainment, courtesy of the Tony Mollick Project. This group's journey to perform at this event had been a long one. The Tony Mollick Project had been booked to perform at last year's Harley Giveaway, but had to bow out after Tony suffered serious injuries in a motorcycle-car accident just two weeks before the giveaway. Half Tempted ended up entertaining at last year's giveaway. It was only fitting that, to cap his complete recovery from his accident injuries, Tony and his band were invited back to entertain at this year's Giveaway.

The group delivered the goods. Tony on lead vocals and guitar, Fuzz McGirk on bass and David Blake on drums warmed up the crowd for the giveaway with abundant classics and some original tunes. After their hard-rocking read of "The Peter Gunn Theme" launched the set, the trio performed Stevie Ray Vaughan favorites such as "Couldn't Stand the Weather" and "Willie the (P)imp," Santana's "Black Magic Woman," ZZ Top's "Cheap Sunglasses," Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Saturday Night Special," Fleetwood Mac's "Oh Well," the Allman Brothers/Gov't Mule's "Rocking Horse" and more; and also broke out their appropriate original song "Rusty Angel" (inspired by the sight of a rusted motorcycle sitting in a backyard) and the hard-rocking "Likely Story."

After the bike was given away, the group resumed the music to entertain the remaining crowd, doing more classics and originals. Highlights during this set included spirited reads of Dave Mason/Joe Cocker's "Feelin' Alright" and ZZ Top's "Arrested for Driving While Blind," plus original tunes such as "Little Stingray" and a carryover from Tony's and Dave's Groove Junkies past, "Justice."

The group sounded strong during both sets. Tony's guitarwork was fiery as always, and his voice strong and soulful. David and Fuzz backed him up with tight and lean rhythms, and the group maintained a fairly tight and energetic pace throughout. The group's first set was briefly interrupted by a power problem; but with the Harley still to be given away at that point, nobody was about to venture away from the stage!

It was another fun Harley giveaway, and the climax of a busy spring for yours truly. Now it was time for my summer to truly begin!

Here’s some rough video from the Tony Mollick Project’s performance:

http://www.rockpage.net/users/jprice/video/MOV09755.MPG

Two people eye up the coveted big prize, Q94's Harley-Davidson Road King motorcycle!

Lots of motorcycles are lined up in Burgi's parking lot.

Before the giveaway, music was provided by the Tony Mollick Project from Latrobe.

Tony Mollick Project namesake Tony Mollick. This group was to perform at last year's Harley drawing, but Tony was seriously injured in a motorcycle crash just two weeks before the drawing. A year later, he's fully recovered from his injuries.

David Blake of the Tony Mollick Project.

Altoona native Fuzz McGirk of the Tony Mollick Project.

Again, the Tony Mollick Project.

Harley hopefuls take in the sounds of the Tony Mollick Project.

It's officially a party! Harley hopeful "Wolfie" is dancing!

The Wolfman, busting some dance moves.

Wolfie, strutting his stuff in front of the stage.

Look at that Wolfman go!

Wolfie the dancing machine!

A big crowd amasses in front of the stage as the Harley giveaway draws nearer.

The crowd clamors for some free doo-rags being tossed from the stage...That will bring people forward to the stage!

There's a happy lady, she made the final 50!

Ten Harley finalists are left standing.

In his moment of victory, Mike Friedenberger of Altoona, the winner of the Harley!

Mike Friedenberger sits atop his prize.

After the giveaway, the Tony Mollick Project returns to the stage to play some additional music.

Once again, Tony Mollick.

Again, Fuzz McGirk of the Tony Mollick Project.

4TH ANNUAL RELAY FOR LIFE BAND JAM @ SHADE GAP PICNIC GROUNDS, SHADE GAP 6/16/07

As had become customary the past few summers, my first destination after departing Q94's Harley giveaway would again be deep, dark Huntingdon County, to partake in the Fast Trackers Relay For Life's annual Band Jam, happening in the shady environs of the Shade Gap Picnic Grounds.

Although the weather was great, I was disappointed to find only a small crowd in attendance as I arrived. I made my way to the main stage, which was actually the only stage this year. It was intermission between bands, and the next band, Chambersburg's Lakota Band, was setting up. I almost immediately ran into my Pennsylvania Musician co-worker and co-writing cohort Rachel Rocks and her friend Heather, who both updated me on the day's activities thus far.

Soon the music was set to resume. I first saw the Lakota Band at last year's Band Jam; the band had changed drummers since then, with Randy McGowan now providing the beats behind guitarists/singers John Waltman and Jimmy Allen and bassist Marc Cournoyer. As they did the previous year, the Lakota Band impressed with sturdy, hard-nosed classic rock'n'roll; opening with Neil Young's "Rocking in the Free World" and continuing through tunes from Lynyrd Skynyrd, Blackfoot, Spirit, Bad Company, REO Speedwagon, Bryan Adams and more. The group finished their set with four original songs; "Stay Too Long," "Turn Down the Lights," "My Lady" and "Woman;" all four songs displaying solid melodies and tight, strong playing. Other highlights included the group's pairings of Steve Miller Band's "Jet Airliner" with Badfinger's "No Matter What;" and the group merging Bad Company's "Rock and Roll Fantasy" with the Beatles' "Ticket to Ride." The Lakota Band sounded good, with their instrumental execution tight and on target, and John and Jimmy both displaying good voices on the singing end. All the way around, good stuff!

Jimmy Allen of The Lakota Band.

Again, Jimmy Allen of The Lakota Band.

John Waltman of The Lakota Band.

Next was something I was curious to see, Easy Money. This is the classic rock side project that features 80% of the Scream line-up; everybody except guitarist Skip Henry. Singer Jeff Hoover, guitarist Ed Miller, bassist Robert Port and drummer Kevin Siegel stepped outside Scream's 80's metal persona to do songs from Van Halen, Billy Squier, Loverboy, Free, .38 Special, Steppenwolf, Foreigner, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Badfinger, Elton John and more. These guys could handle the classic rock material well; executing it with the same type of furvor they use on the 80's material in Scream. Particularly impressive for me was their glorious read of Skynyrd's patriotic anthem "Red White and Blue;" Easy Money took it to the stratosphere! It all was good stuff, and Scream's classic rock alter ego gave a strong performance.

No screaming about it, Easy Money.

Again, Easy Money.

One more time, Easy Money.

It only took a short changeover (I think just long enough for frontman Jeff to change his wardrobe) before Scream was set to advance the music into 80's metal mode. With Skip joining the other four musicians onstage, Scream proceeded to rock the Shade Gap Picnic Grounds with headbanger's ball classics from Ratt, AC/DC, Autograph, Kiss, Kix, White Lion, Motley Crue and Def Leppard. Jeff's voice held up well this day; and the rest of the band backed him with the powerful backdrop. Ed and Skip again amazed with their surgical precision on the fretboards, along with their clean dual guitar lead harmonies. Kevin's drumbeats again boomed with authority, accompanied by Robert's bold bass lines. Although attendance was still disappointingly light at this point, the folks who were in the pavilion audience and looking on were fully appreciating Scream's quality performance.

Here’s some rough video from Scream’s performance:

http://www.rockpage.net/users/jprice/video/MOV09756.MPG

Scream puts pedal to the metal at the Relay for Life Band Jam.

Again, Scream.

Jeff Hoover of Scream.

Kevin Siegel of Scream.

Again, Jeff Hoover of Scream.

Again, Kevin “ToonaRockGuy” Siegel, behind the kit.

More of Scream.

Skip Henry of Scream.

Heather and Rachel Rocks, up from Harrisburg to rock with Scream.

Once again, Jeff Hoover of Scream.

Robert Port of Scream.

Ed Miller of Scream.

Again, Ed Miller of Scream.

Heather takes a picture of Scream.

Again, Skip Henry of Scream.

One more time, Scream.

As night descended on the Picnic Grounds, one band remained on the bill, Sound Of Silence. It had been a while since I had seen this group, so I was eager for an update. Guitarists/singers Eric Scott and Jason Ramsey, bassist/singer Curt Nearhood and drummer Bob Fogelsonger dished out hard-hitting modern and classic rock and metal to the largest crowd of the day. Kicking off with the Metallica double-shot of "Enter Sandman" into "For Whom the Bell Tolls," Sound Of Silence continued with numbers from Poison, Judas Priest, Motley Crue, Godsmack, Linkin Park, Staind, Pink Floyd and more; along with a few of their own songs. Their delivery was all-out and caution-to-the-wind, as Sound Of Silence left it all onstage for their audience. This group generated a good head of steam as they went along, drawing audience members onto the floor in front of the stage to rock along.

I stuck around for most of Sound Of Silence's set, but decided to start on my trek back homeward shortly after 11 PM. I had a good time at the Relay For Life Band Jam, but again was disappointed in the light turnout for this event. Even with good bands, a nice picturesque setting, food, refreshments and proceeds going to a good cause, sometimes you just can't people to come out and support a good thing. Hopefully the Fast Trackers Relay for Life folks will continue this shindig again next year, and if so, I will be back!

Sound of Silence (S.O.S.), slamming the lid on the Relay for Life Band Jam.

Curt Nearhood of S.O.S.

Again, S.O.S.

Jason Ramsey of S.O.S.

More of S.O.S.

Eric Scott of S.O.S.

Fans young and old gather in front of the stage to rock with S.O.S.

Bob “Trucula” Fogelsonger of S.O.S.

Again, Curt Nearhood of S.O.S.

Again, Eric Scott of S.O.S.

Once again, Eric Scott of S.O.S.

Again, Bob Fogelsonger of S.O.S..

Sound of Silence continues to rock the Relay for Life Band Jam.

More fans gather to rock with S.O.S.

THE COUNTRY OUTLAWS @ MEMORIES SPORTS BAR, HUNTINGDON 6/16/07

After departing the Shade Gap Picnic Grounds, en route homeward, I decided to check in with The Country Outlaws in a venue I had never been in before, Memories in Huntingdon.

It took me a little while to locate Memories; fortunately, I had purchased a copy of Huntingdon's Daily News newspaper en route to Shade Gap, and Memories' ad listed their street address. So by trial and error, I eventually made my way to Memories, to find a jam-packed house enjoying the Country Outlaws rowdy country and honky-tonk sounds. I was quickly discovered by the group's manager, Colonel Joyce, who cleared a seat at her table so I could have a good vantage point to view the band. (Thanks!)

The Country Outlaws clearly had the party going, as they launched into Buck Owens' "Act Naturally" as I was getting seated. Lead singer/guitarist Charlie Hilderbrand, lead guitarist Jason Fouse, new bassist Dan McCorkle and drummer Jim Mills played a steady playlist of rebellious country and rockabilly, along the way including Elvis' "That's All Right, Mama," Kevin Fowler's "Beer Bait and Ammo," Joe Nichols' "(Beer) Makes Her Clothes Fall Off," "Tulsa Time" and more. Soon, Charlie demonstrated his best Johnny Cash growl, doing "Daddy Sang Bass." The group continued with Georgia Satellites' "Keep Your Hands to Yourself," and teased Billy Idol's "Dancing with Myself" before going into Hank Williams III's "Dick in Dixie." Along the way, dancers took to the floor and whooped it up, from college-age folks from nearby Juniata College to senior citizens.

At this point, another band member entered the picture. The last time I had seen the Country Outlaws back in January, the group had just welcomed aboard its newest member at the time, singer Angela Dodson. I had said when Angela first joined this group that the potential was there for some great things once she settled in with the group and they started working on tunes together. They have. Charlie and Angela lit up the house with their rendition of Johnny and June Carter Cash's "Jackson." Angela then took over the lead singing role for several more songs, including Bonnie Tyler/Juice Newton's "It's a Heartache," Miranda Lambert's "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend," Gretchen Wilson's "California Girls," Hank Sr.'s "Your Cheatin' Heart," Lynn Anderson's "Stand By Your Man" and more. Angela displayed some stellar voice, and provided excellent counterpoint to Charlie's full-bodied and resonant voice. Charlie soon returned to lead mic duties, and did some more Johnny Cash numbers, including "Ring of Fire," and "I Walk the Line" into "Cry Cry Cry." Charlie and the Country Outlaws then finished out the night with Wayne Hancock's "Thunderstorms and Neon Signs."

This turned out to be an excellent show. Pumped up by the festive packed house, the Country Outlaws delivered their rowdy country with energy and a wallop. The mood was upbeat, and the vocal fireworks from both Charlie and Angela only raised the mood even further.

Indeed the Country Outlaws are gelling into a quality act, and based on this night, the future looks very bright for them.

The Country Outlaws, getting rowdy at Memories Sports Bar.

Charlie Hilderbrand of The Country Outlaws.

Again, Charlie Hilderbrand of The Country Outlaws.

With Angela Dodson joining them, the Country Outlaws entertain a packed dance floor.

Angela Dodson of The Country Outlaws.

Angela Dodson, Jim Mills and Dan McCorkle of The Country Outlaws.

At full strength, The Country Outlaws.

Once again, The Country Outlaws.

Again, Angela Dodson of The Country Outlaws.

One more time, The Country Outlaws.

The post-gig celebration; yours truly with Angela Dodson of The Country Outlaws. (photo by Colonel Joyce)

HI-TYDE @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 6/17/07

My weekend drew to a close, as it often does, at Pellegrine's, where Hi-Tyde was providing the tunes.

Due to "Backyard Rocker" duties, I was late arriving at Pelly's this night, entering the premises as Hi-Tyde had just launched into their third set. Singer Dale Nitti, guitarist/singer Rob Sottile, bassist Mike Weber, keyboardist/guitarist Ted Depto and drummer Mike Davis looked and sounded a bit more inspired this night than they had they last time I saw them here. There was more energy and smiles emanating from the stage, as Hi-Tyde did popular favorites from Black Eyed Peas, Vanilla Ice, House Of Pain, Fallout Boy, Big & Rich, Nickelback, Linkin Park, Godsmack and more. Although not a packed house, Pellegrine's had at least some crowd, and at least a few folks were populating the dance floor as Hi-Tyde proceeded through their set.

Besides the entertainment on the stage, there was entertainment near the front door as well. An altercation led to a troublemaker being escorted to the door, but the offender put up a fight, kicking one of Pelly's security detail in the jewels four times. The afflicted enforcer was doubled over in pain after the incident, but I couldn't detect whether his voice had risen any octaves. Cheap thrills on a Sunday night!

Hi-Tyde, partying down at Pellegrines.

Dale Nitti of Hi-Tyde.

Rob Sottile of Hi-Tyde.

Mike Weber and Rob Sottile of Hi-Tyde.

Mike “Web” Weber of Hi-Tyde.

Mike Davis of Hi-Tyde.

JP’S HAIKU

Two Country Outlaws
Charlie and Angela sing
Memories magic

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »